Ron Paul Supporters - Who are you supporting now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:59:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Ron Paul Supporters - Who are you supporting now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ron Paul Supporters - Who are you supporting now?  (Read 2062 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 05:09:12 PM »

Gary Johnson, very enthusiastically. If not him, then I might just not vote.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 07:07:48 PM »

Oh right, I forgot about Nader.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not buying this part, in terms of whether all Mormons actually adhere faithfully to this- well maybe the part about not drinking and smoking is true.

If your guy wins I predict the economy'll continue to recover and he'll take credit for it. I think that's what gets me the most about this whole election.

Yes, whoever wins this election will take credit for all the good and blame someone else for all the bad.  I'm not sure that distinguishes these candidates or this election from any other.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »

You know, if we lose this election, maybe we really ought to consider working across the aisle to form a cordon sanitaire around the Paulite/Libertarian movement.
Your hostility to the liberty movement is the exact reason why youth don't respect the party establishment. Get used to Dr. Paul, because his followers are 80% of the GOPs youth supporters. The GOP will be idolizing Ron Paul like todays party idolizes Reagan come 2032.

All Ron Paul supporters should be voting for Romney, otherwise, they are simply throwing their votes away.

I would be throwing my vote away if I allowed myself to reward the GOP with my vote.

Gary Johnson 2012: Live Free
Amen. Johnsons a great guy. I met him a while back, and he won me over for sure that day. Paul Ryan caused me to waver, but after the RNC treated us like they did, I am back in line for Johnson. I prefer a right libertarian such as Ron Paul, though a left libertarian is still a libertarian.

後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »

Your hostility to the liberty movement is the exact reason why youth don't respect the party establishment. Get used to Dr. Paul, because his followers are 80% of the GOPs youth supporters. The GOP will be idolizing Ron Paul like todays party idolizes Reagan come 2032.

As said, youth voting patterns are not necessarily indicative of future trends. There are certain trends in the GOP that I think Paulites will like (trends toward openness to drug law reform and a dwindling interest in an aggressive foreign policy), but I think overall, the idea that the GOP is going to be overtaken by the Paulites is unrealistic. Antiwar Democrats were strong enough to actually propel McGovern to a victory (instead of winning 15% of the vote and being really loud at the convention), but look at the Democratic Party today. Bill dropping bombs in Bosnia and Obama dropping predator-drones in Pakistan. Paul can't be compared to Reagan because Reagan actually won the primary and became president for eight years. Paul has and probably will push the GOP a little more towards where he wants it to be. But I don't think even RP himself harbors any fantasies of taking over the party.

On a random note, I've also met Gary Johnson before. He's a nice enough guy. Though of course, I do not appreciate in his role in getting Obama reelected.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »

On a random note, I've also met Gary Johnson before. He's a nice enough guy. Though of course, I do not appreciate in his role in getting Obama reelected.

Johnson taking more votes from Obama than Romney leads to Obama being reelected how?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 09:12:32 PM »

Johnson taking more votes from Obama than Romney leads to Obama being reelected how?

...that is actually very interesting. Obviously, I expected Johnson to draw solely from Romney (being you know, a republican governor and all). Anyways, do you have other polls that asked about Johnson? Is this normal?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »

...that is actually very interesting. Obviously, I expected Johnson to draw solely from Romney (being you know, a republican governor and all). Anyways, do you have other polls that asked about Johnson? Is this normal?

Not off the top of my head. IMO Johnson's more of the left-libertarian type (unlike Paul) so he also draws substantially from the anti-war, anti-drug war, etc type of crowd (he's written a few articles on the Huffington Post, that kinda thing). I'm not sure if this is normal, but he referenced several at his campaign event ("polls put me drawing more from Romney in x, y, and z, and more from Obama in a, b, and c, and overall I draw relatively evenly, so a vote for me isn't a vote for some other guy").
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 10:44:46 PM »

All Ron Paul supporters should be voting for Romney, otherwise, they are simply throwing their votes away.

They'd be throwing their vote away by voting for an anti-freedom HP like Romney.

Seriously, libertarians supporting Romney because he's the "lesser of two evils" is ridiculous.  He wants to bomb Iran just as much if not more than Obama, he has actually spoken out against medical marijuana IIRC, and he opposes same-sex marriage.  And he's a massive supporter of the crusader state of Israel and it's brutalism (Obama at least seems a bit unenthusiastic).  The lesser of two evils is still evil, and by voting for Romney (or Obama) you're basically saying you're okay with the kind of crap they support.

The "lesser of two evils" fallacy is a perversion of liberal democracy (which is a perversion of democracy itself, but that's aside the point).

These 68 seconds alone are enough to make Mitt Romney a nominee for biggest douche in the universe.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 08:32:07 AM »

The only thing that is normal is the false assumptions people make.  Folks also assumed that Nader helped Bush win the election of 2000, and that Perot helped Clinton win the election of 1992.  I am certain that had Nader not run I would not have voted for Algore.  I'd have voted for some other candidate.  And if it were only Bush and Gore, I'd still prefer Bush over Gore, and I know I am not the only one.  I have had numerous conversations with 2000 Nader voters, some of whom did say they preferred Gore over Bush, but many of whom did not.  

Polling data really does little to support these false assumptions either.  You can dredge up a poll, I'm sure, that says that more Johnson voters would prefer Romney over Obama, but unless you actually do the experiment--that is, find or create that alternate universe in which Johnson does not exist, have the election, and count the votes--then such claims are merely philosophical in nature.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »

[1] Mitt Romney
[2] Gary Johnson
[3] Rocky Anderson
[4] Virgil Goode
[5] Barack Obama
[6] Jill Stein
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 07:57:23 PM »

At the moment. I'm undecided. First I don't vote for anybody who isn't pro-life thus Obama and Johnson are totally out. Also those two and some of the leftist third party candidates are for gay marriage. So I'm down to Mitt and Vergil Goode. Mitt and the GOP disregarded the Tea Party and Paulites plus theological grounds. So I'll be writing in Ron Paul/Paul Ryan
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies