Moderate Dem Nominees Versus Liberal Dem Nominees
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:44:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Moderate Dem Nominees Versus Liberal Dem Nominees
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Moderate Dem Nominees Versus Liberal Dem Nominees  (Read 847 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »

Who performs better in general elections? Moderates like Bill Clinton, Schwietzer or Warner would attract a lot of GOP-leaders and independents. But they wouldn't get as much base excitement as liberals like Dukakis, Dean, or Obama. Who, historically, have performed better on the nation level?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:08:39 PM »

Hey, I wonder what sparked this inquiry? Tongue No worries of course. Smiley

Anyways, I don't think being a moderate is useful unless you're in a REALLY right-wing district or a REALLY small area (like Montana, ND, or whatever). I also wouldn't read too much into Dukakis, Mondale, and etc. The Democratic Party was /very/ different back then.

I mean, in 2010, I think there were several indications. Halter always polled much better than Blanche Lincoln, and Sestak always polled much better than Specter. And that NC Democrat (can't remember his name) was doomed from the start for this reason even though he was in a very Republican district. And Tom Barrett didn't poll any better than his leftist primary rival. And Baldwin, despite being way more leftist than all of our competitors, didn't do any worse in the polls.

Of course, I don't have any solid numbers to back me up, so you can take this with a grain of salt. But I have just have seen very few examples of Democrats being punished for being too liberal. And I feel it's easier to be an electorally successful moderate Republican than a moderate Democrat. After all, the GOP nominated MITT ROMNEY and are even excited.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 11:13:23 PM »

Hey, I wonder what sparked this inquiry? Tongue No worries of course. Smiley

Anyways, I don't think being a moderate is useful unless you're in a REALLY right-wing district or a REALLY small area (like Montana, ND, or whatever). I also wouldn't read too much into Dukakis, Mondale, and etc. The Democratic Party was /very/ different back then.

I mean, in 2010, I think there were several indications. Halter always polled much better than Blanche Lincoln, and Sestak always polled much better than Specter. And that NC Democrat (can't remember his name) was doomed from the start for this reason even though he was in a very Republican district. And Tom Barrett didn't poll any better than his leftist primary rival. And Baldwin, despite being way more leftist than all of our competitors, didn't do any worse in the polls.

Of course, I don't have any solid numbers to back me up, so you can take this with a grain of salt. But I have just have seen very few examples of Democrats being punished for being too liberal. And I feel it's easier to be an electorally successful moderate Republican than a moderate Democrat. After all, the GOP nominated MITT ROMNEY and are even excited.
How in god's name is Mitt Romney a moderate in this day and age?

To answer the question, it really doesn't matter unless you're too extreme, which very few Dems are.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:25:45 PM »

How in god's name is Mitt Romney a moderate in this day and age?

See: everything he has ever done as an elected official.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »

Who performs better in general elections? Moderates like Bill Clinton, Schwietzer or Warner would attract a lot of GOP-leaders and independents. But they wouldn't get as much base excitement as liberals like Dukakis, Dean, or Obama. Who, historically, have performed better on the nation level?

As a MA resident during Dukakis' term as Gov I can tell you he was no more liberal than Clinton. He was basically a technocrat. What is true is that he was unable to deflect that charge of liberalism from the well executed '88 campaign of GHWB.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 07:51:31 PM »

As a MA resident during Dukakis' term as Gov I can tell you he was no more liberal than Clinton. He was basically a technocrat. What is true is that he was unable to deflect that charge of liberalism from the well executed '88 campaign of GHWB.

Whoops, didn't catch it. But this is very true. On what basis do people call Dukakis a liberal? Besides being against the death penalty, which is stupid regardless of your political ideology.

In fact, I really like Dukakis. Enough to vote for him over the man who defeated him. He was a type of Democrat we don't get today. Someone who didn't just believe government could work, but who actually made it work.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies