Official Republican National Convention 2012 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 04:10:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Official Republican National Convention 2012 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 31
Author Topic: Official Republican National Convention 2012 Discussion Thread  (Read 26195 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: August 29, 2012, 10:02:15 PM »

I hate the GOP phrase "our rights come from God." I don't remember "right to free religion, free press, etc" in the Book of Genesis.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #376 on: August 29, 2012, 10:02:39 PM »

I really dont like the 'our rights come from nature and god and not from government'....not only is it insulting to the non-religious, it is clearly not accurate. Our rights come from the constitution, the founding document of the government
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #377 on: August 29, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

I really dont like the 'our rights come from nature and god and not from government'....not only is it insulting to the non-religious, it is clearly not accurate. Our rights come from the constitution, the founding document of the government

Have you not heard of natural rights?

Also, "we will make the safety net safe again". Well thank God that someone finally says what this election is really about.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #378 on: August 29, 2012, 10:04:22 PM »

lol same post at same time. Hello new friend!
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #379 on: August 29, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »

Paul nailed it out of the park near the end, good speech!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #380 on: August 29, 2012, 10:04:56 PM »

Jefferson, a Democrat, does not agree.  
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #381 on: August 29, 2012, 10:05:08 PM »

What an inspiring moment. Paul Ryan - your next Vice President!!!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #382 on: August 29, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »

It's a bad example, but he's not lying and the point is a powerful one.

There's no point in whining about something that no longer meaningfully exists, dude.

Then I guess I should stop complaining about the Republican Party.

Control of the House of Representatives, most state legislatures, and most Governor's Mansions; 26% of the population identifies with the Republican Party, 41% when you include people who lean Republican (source: http://www.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx) is not meaningfully existing?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #383 on: August 29, 2012, 10:06:25 PM »

Control of the House of Representatives, most state legislatures, and most Governor's Mansions; 26% of the population identifies with the Republican Party, 41% when you include people who lean Republican (source: http://www.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx) is not meaningfully existing?

How much real support does the GOP still have?

This is 2012.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #384 on: August 29, 2012, 10:06:54 PM »

He cited a GM plant that closed in 2008, under Bush. He's been called out on it before.

Did Obama really promise it would be open for another 100 years if he was elected? If so, I think it is a legitimate critique not of "Obama being responsible for causing it", but instead "Obama failing to meet his promises to turn the situation around. Which does sum up the GOP argument concerning Obama's economic record.

I mean, he spoke those words in February 2008. The most likely explanation is that he didn't realize how bad things were going to get a year later. "The situation" wasn't fully known at the time. It's basically criticizing him for failing to predict how badly things would get in Bush's final year.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #385 on: August 29, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »

He's running on the ticket again in 2016? Or is Biden leaving the administration and getting replaced with Ryan? That'd really be a bipartisan gesture on the part of the Prez.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #386 on: August 29, 2012, 10:07:59 PM »

I thought Ryan's speech was pretty dry at first, but it all came together at the end.

Now, LETS GET THIS DONE!
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #387 on: August 29, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »

Jefferson, a Democrat, does not agree.  

Ayn Rand does.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #388 on: August 29, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »

How much real support does the GOP still have?

This is 2012.

More than 41%. I would say their floor -- absolute worst case scenario in a presidential election -- would be a little worse than McCain did (2008 was a horrible year, but McCain was a moderate-to-good candidate) -- 43% or 44%.

Counting leaners? About half of the electorate. A bit less than that -- 46-47% -- of all adults.

Way, way more than Occupy ever did or (since you say it still exists) ever will.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #389 on: August 29, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »

Paul nailed it out of the park near the end, good speech!

!!!!!! Excellent speech. Pitch perfect.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #390 on: August 29, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »

He's running on the ticket again in 2016? Or is Biden leaving the administration and getting replaced with Ryan? That'd really be a bipartisan gesture on the part of the Prez.

If Romney loses, Ryan has an open field for 2016 if he so desires.

And it would take a miracle for the Dems to be competitive in 2016 if Obama wins another term. Eight years of misery will have been enough. It'll be 2008 in reverse.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #391 on: August 29, 2012, 10:11:06 PM »

MSNBC is shameless; I don't know how these people live with themselves. FOX on its worst day doesn't even come close...
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #392 on: August 29, 2012, 10:11:18 PM »

Ryan's speech was beautiful and inspiring on so many levels. Really makes it clear which is the adult party and which is the one living in a fantasy land of unicorns and rainbows.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #393 on: August 29, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »

People should re-listen to or re-read Obama's acceptance speech from 2008. He's criticized a lot for running on lofty but empty rhetoric, but that was a very specific and detailed explanation of the policies he would pursue as president and why he would pursue them.

The past two days of this convention, meanwhile, have been right-wing platitudes and impossible promises, just like the rest of Romney's campaign.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #394 on: August 29, 2012, 10:13:24 PM »

MSNBC is shameless; I don't know how these people live with themselves. FOX on its worst day doesn't even come close...
Really though, usually they'll try to show some fairness. But the last 2 days they've just ripped apart every speech. Matthews is the only one who even shows a shred of fair coverage. I wish Joe Scarborough or Michael Steele were doing the coverage.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #395 on: August 29, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »

Watching MSNBC can by funny for a minute but it gets to be parody after a while. CNN and PBS have the best coverage
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #396 on: August 29, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »

He cited a GM plant that closed in 2008, under Bush. He's been called out on it before.

Did Obama really promise it would be open for another 100 years if he was elected? If so, I think it is a legitimate critique not of "Obama being responsible for causing it", but instead "Obama failing to meet his promises to turn the situation around. Which does sum up the GOP argument concerning Obama's economic record.

I mean, he spoke those words in February 2008. The most likely explanation is that he didn't realize how bad things were going to get a year later. "The situation" wasn't fully known at the time. It's basically criticizing him for failing to predict how badly things would get in Bush's final year.

Yes, but 100 years referring to a specific plant? That is just asking for trouble based on the previous decades' experience, alone. 
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #397 on: August 29, 2012, 10:16:42 PM »

People should re-listen to or re-read Obama's acceptance speech from 2008. He's criticized a lot for running on lofty but empty rhetoric, but that was a very specific and detailed explanation of the policies he would pursue as president and why he would pursue them.

Yeah, like closing Gitmo, and providing mortgage relief, and passing a healthcare plan that will cut premiums, and working across the aisle, and create 5 million new energy jobs, and cut the deficit, and lower poverty, and...
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #398 on: August 29, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »

Romney is going to have to give the speech of his life to not get overshadowed by Ryan/Condi/Christie, as in, 'a thousand points of light' memorable. I'm not sure he can pull it off.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #399 on: August 29, 2012, 10:17:34 PM »

CNN is wowed over Ryan's speech.  They're stopping just short of game changer.  Even James Carville says the Democrats should be nervous.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies