Romney 2012: The Last Great White Campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:59:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney 2012: The Last Great White Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Romney 2012: The Last Great White Campaign  (Read 13961 times)
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 04:06:19 PM »

One person who (probably) supports Romney makes a racist joke ---> Romney is waging a racist war of racism.

Cool logic bro. Tell it again.

Logic?!  Yeah what about all the other people that laughed and went right along with the joke?  What does your logic say about that?  And if someone can say this on a microphone to a crowd of people what is said in private?  What does your "logic" say about that?

Well, it was still kind of funny. Kind of racist yeah, but more of an nervous chuckle-type than gasp and head for the hills.

Anyways, that's ridiculous. Much worse things have been said about Republicans (jokingly) at Democrat rallies. This is a schoolboy argument at best.

But I guess the conclusion we should be drawing is that if a campaign that doesn't have poll-tested goodies specifically designed for every single narrow ethnic group, it is predicated on racism.

The foundation of Romney's appeal to whites is predominantly a mixture of the poor economic climate and ideological hostility toward Obama (from right-wingers to left-wingers). It's amazing how Democrats don't even know what the talking points of the other side are, but I suppose it's not unsurprising.

Some 60-70 year old woman from Arkansas tells an odd racist-ish "joke" and accordingly is forced to resign from a tea party organization.  Imagine if democrats held their members to that standard, their wouldn't be anybody left in the party.

Note: Republicans ended slavery and defeated communism(a form of slavery).  Democrats in full or in part supported both.   
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 05:45:29 PM »

One person who (probably) supports Romney makes a racist joke ---> Romney is waging a racist war of racism.

Cool logic bro. Tell it again.

Logic?!  Yeah what about all the other people that laughed and went right along with the joke?  What does your logic say about that?  And if someone can say this on a microphone to a crowd of people what is said in private?  What does your "logic" say about that?

Well, it was still kind of funny. Kind of racist yeah, but more of an nervous chuckle-type than gasp and head for the hills.

Anyways, that's ridiculous. Much worse things have been said about Republicans (jokingly) at Democrat rallies. This is a schoolboy argument at best.

But I guess the conclusion we should be drawing is that if a campaign that doesn't have poll-tested goodies specifically designed for every single narrow ethnic group, it is predicated on racism.

The foundation of Romney's appeal to whites is predominantly a mixture of the poor economic climate and ideological hostility toward Obama (from right-wingers to left-wingers). It's amazing how Democrats don't even know what the talking points of the other side are, but I suppose it's not unsurprising.

Some 60-70 year old woman from Arkansas tells an odd racist-ish "joke" and accordingly is forced to resign from a tea party organization.  Imagine if democrats held their members to that standard, their wouldn't be anybody left in the party.

Note: Republicans ended slavery and defeated communism(a form of slavery).  Democrats in full or in part supported both.   

Wow, the GOP must have really gone downhill if its members are resting on its laurels from 150 years ago.

And nice try at the symbolic communism analogy. It didn't work.

You really think that those Republicans from the 1860s would be Republicans today? If the black community had any more goodwill left for their efforts from the 19th century, your guy wouldn't be pulling zero support from them.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »

You two can drop the act now. Even the Romney campaign is admitting that they're embracing a racist strategy focused on driving up white turnout.

You mean like sending Jesse Jackson into my neighborhood to turn out the black vote (2000)?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »

I anticipate a white vote of about 58% for Romney.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »

You two can drop the act now. Even the Romney campaign is admitting that they're embracing a racist strategy focused on driving up white turnout.

You mean like sending Jesse Jackson into my neighborhood to turn out the black vote (2000)?

Um, no, not at all.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 07:04:22 PM »

Once again...I don't see any difference in method or morals between a campaign boosting white turnout and one boosting black turnout
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »

Once again...I don't see any difference in method or morals between a campaign boosting white turnout and one boosting black turnout

I know conservatives like to play dumb when it comes to race.......but come on man...really?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »

I guess I know all the wrong whites. Not very many Romney supporters.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 09:14:10 PM »

Well, it's not like you can really "boost" white turnout. Whites are not at all a homogenous political group. Obviously. And neither are Hispanics.
Link
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »

Read the OP.  It's not about Romney "boosting white turnout" while Obama is "boosting black turnout."  The OP clearly states Obama has gone after the votes of WHITE women.  But sure go ahead and live in your fantasy world where all democrats do is look for black votes.  If it supports whatever narrative you are concocting and helps you sleep at night be my guest.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 09:44:19 PM »

as noted in the original article, Romney's people are looking at four quadrants of whites, dividing them by education and gender. Obama leads with white educated women, Romney dominates with both blue collar and educated men, and the group with the most flux is non educated white women. I guess these are the so called 'wall-mart moms'. And again, the reason they are running about five different ads on this Welfare BS is because this issue apparently resonates with these non educated white women.

The astounding thing about the whole Romney strategy is to essentially assume that they arent going to get any more non white votes than McCain, so they are going to try and make it up entirely with white votes...that is the noteworthy thing.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »

An incumbent President Romney will not have a very difficult time running another 'Great White' campaign to achieve 64% or 67% of whites similar to Reagan/Nixon as incumbents.

So perhaps there is one more.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 09:55:35 PM »

It's really funny to read this thread from the party that attacks people of faith and people who are successful in business as they wage the war on whites and their values.
Link
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 09:55:57 PM »

An incumbent President Romney will not have a very difficult time running another 'Great White' campaign to achieve 64% or 67% of whites similar to Reagan/Nixon as incumbents.

Incumbent Romney?!  Let's see if the guy can even win once before assuming he's going to get reelected.  And as was pointed out Nixon got 18% of the black vote in '72... Romney is on course for 0%.  I would not consider those two equivalent.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »

Incumbent Romney?!  Let's see if the guy can even win once before assuming he's going to get reelected.  And as was pointed out Nixon got 18% of the black vote in '72... Romney is on course for 0%.  I would not consider those two equivalent.

I would not consider the results of an actual election to be equivalent to the results of some polling numbers. Yet that seems to have not stopped you from making whatever sweeping conclusions cross your mind.
Link
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2012, 10:50:46 PM »

It's really funny to read this thread from the party that attacks people of faith and people who are successful in business as they wage the war on whites and their values.

Obviously you didn't read the FIRST POST that clearly states Obama has had success courting the votes of WHITE women.

By the way what are white "values?"  Are there black "values?"

Incumbent Romney?!  Let's see if the guy can even win once before assuming he's going to get reelected.  And as was pointed out Nixon got 18% of the black vote in '72... Romney is on course for 0%.  I would not consider those two equivalent.

I would not consider the results of an actual election to be equivalent to the results of some polling numbers. Yet that seems to have not stopped you from making whatever sweeping conclusions cross your mind.

I don't see anyone else who thinks Romney is going to get 18% of the black vote... are they crazy as well?
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »

Here's what black people are saying...

And Here's what Hispanics are saying

This has to cause many a GOP strategist countless, sleepless nights. If they don't come up with a more rational ,more humane policy on immigration, Hispanics may become a  70% minimum  automatic vote for the Democratic nominee, just like African-Americans are a  minimum 90%  lock.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 11:42:08 PM »

Whence the fantasy that religion and making a quick buck are uniquely 'white values'? Those things are fairly universal to humanity. One of them is even a good thing!
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 12:34:24 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2012, 12:36:38 AM by koenkai »

Although being stuck at 30% with Hispanics would be inconvenient, it's hardly an unsurmountable climb. No reason the GOP can't push up to 60% of the white vote as their norm. A GOP that dominates the Upper Midwest and Rust Belt can afford loses in the Southwest.

Plus, the Hispanic population will probably grow much slower than people expect. Net migration from Mexico is negative and the hispanic birth rate has /collapsed/ in recent years. Not to mention white hispanics (who have an extremely high intermarriage rate) intermarrying and having children who don't identify as hispanics (seriously, everyone considers George Zimmermann white), which also puts a crimp in that growth.

The intermarriage rate of non-white hispanics is very low and they will almost remain a very unfriendly demographic for the GOP, pushing large parts of the Southwest marginally to the left, but it's hardly a death knell.

Plus, the GOP does have one avenue for improvement. As Hispanic educational achievement increases (which it is rapidly doing so), obviously many Hispanics will drop out of religion. But at the same time, many won't, and those may start to vote based on their religious values. And the GOP's position can't really worse in that demographic, so it can only get up.

Also, immigration doesn't seem like the panacea to all issues with hispanic voters. Largely because hispanic immigration has collapsed.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 01:52:18 AM »

Plus, the GOP does have one avenue for improvement. As Hispanic educational achievement increases (which it is rapidly doing so), obviously many Hispanics will drop out of religion. But at the same time, many won't, and those may start to vote based on their religious values. And the GOP's position can't really worse in that demographic, so it can only get up.

The problem with that idea is that unlike white evangelicals, these other groups that the GOP needs to outreach to if they hope to remain relevant generally don't see gays and abortion as the preeminent religious issues.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2012, 02:36:05 AM »

The problem with that idea is that unlike white evangelicals, these other groups that the GOP needs to outreach to if they hope to remain relevant generally don't see gays and abortion as the preeminent religious issues.

Well, not yet. What I'm saying is that they may grow to do so as more, especially on abortion, which the Church views as a moral imperative.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 06:26:25 AM »

Well, not yet. What I'm saying is that they may grow to do so as more, especially on abortion, which the Church views as a moral imperative.

Given that even amongst the most traditionally anti-gay subgroups there is a movement towards gay rights as tenative as it may be, so the idea that Hispanics alone will go on the back pedal is unsubstantiated. On the issue of abortion, the Public Religion Research Institute confirmed  in July that 53% of Hispanic Catholics think abortion should be illegal in most instances compared to 60% of Hispanic Protestants, so the potential for Catholics in particular to be a grabbable minority on abortion is debatable. Remember that Black Americans have tended to view abortion more negatively than Americans on the whole (identified by PRR in the poll) but the GOP  has not made inroads with them. Indeed the best Hispanic target groups are evangelical/born agains, those who identify as conservative and those who have no high school degree.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 06:39:52 AM »

A moral imperative, not the moral imperative.  There are a whole bunch of other social justice issues on which the Republican party either ignores or takes the opposite stance.  At times one has to wonder if the Republican god would answer Cain's question of "Am I my brother's keeper?" with a resounding "NO!".
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »

The problem is that the white turnout is being boosted by using racist/xenophobic rhetoric such as Obama "doesn't understand America", is the first "food stamp president" and of course all the birther nonsense, which Romney signed on to with his "joke" a few days ago.

I don't care that much about the election because I see the country struggling politically speaking for the next 4 years regardless of who wins. But I hope the Republicans lose so this strategy is discarded for the future. It's not good for America, surely you realize that. I can understand not reaching out to Blacks since they support Obama overwhelmingly, but the lashing out at Hispanics (and immigrants in general) over the last 4 years is politically dumb and inexcusable. Unless the GOP really is looking to become the white nationalist fascist party, in which case many posters here should really evaluate their political choices.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »

So whites have different values from others? Sure you aren't a racist?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies