Romney 2012: The Last Great White Campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:54:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney 2012: The Last Great White Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Romney 2012: The Last Great White Campaign  (Read 13899 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2012, 11:23:33 PM »

Gee, we aren't doing a good job of it.

Plaintiff in Voter ID Lawsuit Gets Temporary ID

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/politics/Plaintiff-in-Voter-ID-Lawsuit-Gets-Temporary-ID-166526396.html

It is silly and yet another false and failed attempt to play the race card.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2012, 11:28:53 PM »

Remember, anecdotal evidence is superior to statistical research, especially if it's done by a left-leaning thinker.

Like all that statistical research that showed about 3 cases of voter impersonation in Texas?

Voter fraud is actually quite difficult to statistically measure. Though at least from what we can tell, it's not an epidemic, but it still does happen occasionally. Here is a good run-down on the difficulties of measuring voter fraud.

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/counting-voter-fraud-1165/

Democrat opposition to Voter ID isn't really that rational. Because opposition puts them on the wrong-end of public opinion. It'd probably be better on an electoral position to just politically accept the laws, allow the courts to strike down the stricter laws, and create party infrastructure/organs (and/or work with outside groups) to assist voters without voter ID (and convince them to vote Democrat).

But as this thread proved, I think it's just all about leftists being unable to resist the opportunity to slam people who disagree with them as racist.
Link
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »

Democrat opposition to Voter ID isn't really that rational. Because opposition puts them on the wrong-end of public opinion. It'd probably be better on an electoral position to just politically accept the laws, allow the courts to strike down the stricter laws, and create party infrastructure/organs (and/or work with outside groups) to assist voters without voter ID (and convince them to vote Democrat).

But as this thread proved, I think it's just all about leftists being unable to resist the opportunity to slam people who disagree with them as racist.

Public opinion supported the Iraq war at one point.  In the long run going against public opinion at that time was a boon to president Obama.  EVERYONE that posts on this forum that can shave has an approved state issued ID.  Until this whole voter ID thing started I had no idea so many people didn't have that type of ID.  We on this forum are a privileged lot.  A lot of people in America fall into that category and as a result they don't understand the plight of people on the margins of society.  I don't think it is right or noble to ignore those people.  I think the Democratic party has to educate people like you and me.  If the NRA can whip people into a frenzy about gun rights I think the Democratic party can at least whip up some empathy for voting rights.

It'd probably be better on an electoral position to just politically accept the laws, allow the courts to strike down the stricter laws, and create party infrastructure/organs (and/or work with outside groups) to assist voters without voter ID (and convince them to vote Democrat).

That should not be the job of political parties.  The state has a responsibility here.  Even if Obama himself drove some of these people to get the ID and paid for it himself out of pocket there would still be problems.  This lady was driven by a Republican law maker to get her id...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link.

This monkey business should not be going on two months before a presidential election.  Voter ID if necessary should be tax payer funded and only enforced once a certain percentage of registered voters have the ID.  The state in a nonpartisan way should educate and assist people to get the id... again, if it is shown to be necessary.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2012, 11:58:14 AM »

Public opinion supported the Iraq war at one point.

Is that a bad thing?

In the long run going against public opinion at that time was a boon to president Obama.

Is that a good thing?

EVERYONE that posts on this forum that can shave has an approved state issued ID.  Until this whole voter ID thing started I had no idea so many people didn't have that type of ID.  We on this forum are a privileged lot.  A lot of people in America fall into that category and as a result they don't understand the plight of people on the margins of society.

Because having and not having an ID (which every state that has passed such a law has, to my knowledge, guaranteed you can get one for free) is such a clear sign of what class you belong to, as opposed to, say, income or net worth?

I don't think it is right or noble to ignore those people.

OK. Nobody's saying anybody should ignore them.

I think the Democratic party has to educate people like you and me.

That sounds very ominous, but thankfully it's doubtful the Democratic Party will begin such an initiative, considering it would almost certainly backfire anyway.

If the NRA can whip people into a frenzy about gun rights I think the Democratic party can at least whip up some empathy for voting rights.

Considering voting rights aren't being challenged at all, whereas gun rights (not that seriously, but c'mon; wanting to ban assault rifles is an accepted position in certain circles, wanting to ban voting isn't.)

It'd probably be better on an electoral position to just politically accept the laws, allow the courts to strike down the stricter laws, and create party infrastructure/organs (and/or work with outside groups) to assist voters without voter ID (and convince them to vote Democrat).

That should not be the job of political parties.

That's right, it should be the job of the voters themselves.

The state has a responsibility here.

To make sure voting fraud doesn't occur?

Even if Obama himself drove some of these people to get the ID and paid for it himself out of pocket there would still be problems.  This lady was driven by a Republican law maker to get her id...

Link.

Er, OK. Computer issues.

This monkey business should not be going on two months before a presidential election.

Computers, being machines, have a tendency to behave in a certain way irregardless of election cycles.

Voter ID if necessary should be tax payer funded and only enforced once a certain percentage of registered voters have the ID.

Why? That's like saying we should allow everybody to drive until a certain percentage of the populace has a driver's license...then we can start requiring it.

The state in a nonpartisan way should educate and assist people to get the id... again, if it is shown to be necessary.

I agree the state has a responsibility to tell people about the things it does ('educate') but it's already doing that...and I don't see a reason the state should assist people in getting an ID.
Link
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »

EVERYONE that posts on this forum that can shave has an approved state issued ID.  Until this whole voter ID thing started I had no idea so many people didn't have that type of ID.  We on this forum are a privileged lot.  A lot of people in America fall into that category and as a result they don't understand the plight of people on the margins of society.

Because having and not having an ID (which every state that has passed such a law has, to my knowledge, guaranteed you can get one for free) is such a clear sign of what class you belong to, as opposed to, say, income or net worth?

So all of the parts of the Whitehall Study that used other metrics besides income or net worth should be invalidated?!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2012, 12:28:25 PM »

That should not be the job of political parties.  The state has a responsibility here.  Even if Obama himself drove some of these people to get the ID and paid for it himself out of pocket there would still be problems.  This lady was driven by a Republican law maker to get her id...

Every political party has registration drives, Link.  That is part of their job.

Further, there are a number of nonpartisan groups, like the League of Women Voters, that helps people register.  They have been doing it since 1920.

As I mentioned previously, my church assists in help educate people about voter ID.

Link
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2012, 12:55:45 PM »

Link.

This monkey business should not be going on two months before a presidential election.

Every political party has registration drives, Link.  That is part of their job.

Further, there are a number of nonpartisan groups, like the League of Women Voters, that helps people register.  They have been doing it since 1920.

As I mentioned previously, my church assists in help educate people about voter ID.

I added back and bolded the part evidence you wanted to avoid when concocting your distorted answer.  The League of Women Voters does not test and fix government computers.

Also I realize you and Vosem want to mischaracterize the issues with voter id as merely the cost of the ID.  Obviously the cost of the actual id is just one area of concern and frankly the easiest to address.  Voter education, transportation, and cost of getting supporting documents to get the free voter id are things that you don't want to address at all or in any serious way.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2012, 09:09:31 PM »

Lol. Some moron is lying on the internet!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2012, 09:11:24 PM »

Voter ID was passed earlier this year. The only reason it is 2 months before the election, now, is because some lying thug leftwingers threw a tantrum and lost in court.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »

I added back and bolded the part evidence you wanted to avoid when concocting your distorted answer.  The League of Women Voters does not test and fix government computers.

Also I realize you and Vosem want to mischaracterize the issues with voter id as merely the cost of the ID.  Obviously the cost of the actual id is just one area of concern and frankly the easiest to address.  Voter education, transportation, and cost of getting supporting documents to get the free voter id are things that you don't want to address at all or in any serious way.

I realize that the fact the defendant in the case was able to get an ID completely destroys your complaint.

You need proof of age to get a driver's license or state issued ID in PA, but also need proof of age to get welfare or Food Stamps, buy cigarettes, hard liquor, wine, some prescription drugs or some sinus medication, or apply for Social Security.  Those are just the everyday things you need it for.

A computer in a state bureaucracy makes a mistake, and a human has to fix it, big deal.  That's why the state hires people to work in their bureaucracies.  It happened once or twice a month in the office where I worked.

Also, everything can be done by mail.  I'm sure the respective parties will be willing to pay for a stamp, or even a birth certificate ($10.00).  They actually have people that will walk it through for you.

It is stunning that I can get records for my family for the last quarter millennium, that has lived in PA, for less than $100, and you are complaining about the time it takes .
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2012, 10:49:23 PM »

Getting back to the OP and how going all in on white votes will never work again (and may not this time) here are a couple of quotes from some GOP big shots said during the RNC

後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2012, 10:54:23 PM »

Getting back to the OP and how going all in on white votes will never work again (and may not this time) here are a couple of quotes from some GOP big shots said during the RNC

I respectfully disagree with Graham. Now, I like that he's saying it. Because if the GOP makes more changes to appeal to Hispanic voters, they're probably moving their party positions much closer towards my personal views. But I actually think the GOP is winning the demographic war. Piling a decisive lead among white voters, just waiting for white Hispanics to start voting like other white ethnics (hugely in the favor of the GOP), and monopolizing the Midwest and holding onto Texas.

And what Jeb Bush says is obvious. You want to get as many votes as possible, regardless of where they're from. You should reach out to everyone everytime.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2012, 11:04:34 PM »

Both of those deal with appeals to Hispanic votes. 

I don't think Hispanics, in general, oppose voter ID laws.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2012, 06:16:03 AM »

I don't have first hand experience across the country, but I know voter fraud is a problem in Milwaukee, it is a problem in Chicago, and it was a problem in Racine this June.  Yes, democrats are the party that benefits from voter fraud, so they will be negatively effected if it is curtailed, but that isn't a reason to allow them to continue breaking the law.     

LOL, are you making a point?  I've always said voter fraud has been next to impossible to prove, but a democrat DA not charging (which is different than not finding evidence btw) anyone (also very difficult to find the anonymous people who walked in and actually committed fraud because they successfully commited fraud) is SHOCKING!!!  I am shocked, shocked! to find gambling in this establishment. 

I like your pointing hand thing though. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »

This article is fascinating in retrospect.

Note that Romney nearly hit his goal of 61% of the white vote (he got 59%).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2012, 12:38:59 AM »

Yeah, I think we all underestimated the power of demographics in this election. As long as democrats turn out their base and as long as the GOP remains appalling to minorities, we should win.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2012, 12:43:24 AM »

Yeah, I think we all underestimated the power of demographics in this election. As long as democrats turn out their base and as long as the GOP remains appalling to minorities, we should win.

I always thought whites would only make up between 72-73% of the electorate. 74% would have needed exceptional turnout amongst whites. Of course what I did not anticipate was the level of support for Obama amongst Hispanics AND Asians. I really thought the latter would at least swing against Obama, if not trend against him. Of course the sub samples in the exit polls should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2012, 05:22:45 AM »

You know, for the campaign arguing that White people are the most racist, it's interesting how quickly the race card has been played this election.

But go on, tell us white people how none of us are ever welcome in the D party ever again. Smiley
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2012, 05:24:46 AM »

Given that turnout was way down this election, demographics had absolutely zero to do with the election result. Smiley

If demographics were the reason, you would expect that Obama's turnout would go up and not down, given that there are more Americans in 2012 than in 2008.

But, that didn't happen?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2012, 05:26:57 AM »

Given that turnout was way down this election, demographics had absolutely zero to do with the election result. Smiley

If demographics were the reason, you would expect that Obama's turnout would go up and not down, given that there are more Americans in 2012 than in 2008.

But, that didn't happen?

It had plenty to do with it - look at the breakdown of the exit polls by ethnicity.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2012, 05:45:09 AM »

I can't wait for these "turnout was way down" people to notice that the states that are fully counted had pretty good turnout, even if it wasn't 2008 level.  I swear that this happened in 2008 too.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2012, 05:46:13 AM »

Then demographics aren't the reason why Obama won. Thank you. You're arguing that because Obama preached the gospel of racism that he lost votes.

I agree, wholeheartedly.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2012, 06:30:57 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2012, 06:50:27 AM by Politico »

Let's cut the BS and call it like it is: The vast majority of Hispanics and blacks were never going to vote for the "rich white guy" when they had Barack Hussein Obama as a choice.

Good luck winning in 2016 with a white guy, Democrats. Are you really going to turn to Michael Corleo--err, Andrew Cuomo, or California Lt. Gov. Patrick Bateman? Hillary Clinton is going to be 69, and I doubt she will get involved after her thankless tour of duty (I salute her service one last time; maybe the country would not be such a mess today had she won four years ago). So who are you going to field to keep turnout up among minorities in 2016? Or did you really think minorities were voting for Barack's disappointing results and failed ideology? And a tip: You won't be able to blame Bush four years from now.

2016 is poised to be a Republican year especially with Rubio destined to be the running mate of Paul Ryan, John Thune or [insert name of popular governor not named Chris Christie, who is FINISHED]. Too bad it will be too late to turn around the country after four more years of this nonsense...

GOP will likely use Rubio to stonewall immigration reform. Then in 2016, Rubio will spearhead the effort to present a new Republican Party that is committed to embracing Latinos, who actually tend to have conservative values such as faith in God, working hard, and being committed to personal responsibility.

Democrats do not have an Hispanic with the charisma of Rubio. Democrats provided the first ticket with a black, and Republicans will provide the first ticket with an Hispanic. It is pretty much a guarantee after getting crushed by Latinos on Tuesday.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2012, 07:45:58 AM »

Then demographics aren't the reason why Obama won. Thank you. You're arguing that because Obama preached the gospel of racism that he lost votes.

I agree, wholeheartedly.

Attitudes like this will ensure Republican success in some states, but Democratic dominance at a federal level. You are our partner.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2012, 08:20:13 AM »

This is directed towards Politico and the bunch of people out there saying similar things like him. I think Republicans will never win with minorities because all they do is demean them. Instead of reaching out to them, mostly all I have heard is blame being directed towards them. They are being called moochers, when a lot of the margin in the Hispanic vote had to do with racist laws passed in a few states by Republicans. Instead of acknowledging that (although some have), the Republicans are doubling down on race baiting. It's really disgusting.

Why can't you Republicans win the 100k+ minority vote, huh? It's a lot of Asians...why can't you win that vote? Why don't you reflect on things a little bit and figure that out? Or is continued race baiting all you guys know how to do?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies