MSNBC's Toure says Romney Is Engaging In The "nization" Of Barack Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:29:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: MSNBC's Toure says Romney Is Engaging In The "nization" Of Barack Obama  (Read 6637 times)
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2012, 06:42:51 PM »

Actually, Chicago is 45% white and 33% black. 

Outstanding contribution.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »

I don't know where everybody gets the idea that 90% of the population of every American city is African American.

It was Archie Bunker who said:  "One colored family on the block is a novelty.  Two is a ghetto."  That was a joke on a sitcom.  Toure seems to have bought into it in real life.

[Of course, my joke is, "One white guy on the block is a wigger.  Two is gentrification."]
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »

I don't know where everybody gets the idea that 90% of the population of every American city is African American.

It was Archie Bunker who said:  "One colored family on the block is a novelty.  Two is a ghetto."  That was a joke on a sitcom.  Toure seems to have bought into it in real life.

[Of course, my joke is, "One white guy on the block is a wigger.  Two is gentrification."]

The association of 'black' with 'urban' isn't limited to this Toure person.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2012, 07:30:06 PM »

No, but it is still wrong.  In this case, Chicago is known for its political machine, not for being 100% black, or even majority black.  Toure is the one who seems to be race baiting here.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2012, 07:30:37 PM »

Cheesy  I'll have to borrow that.

By the bye, we'll be taking the train to 30th Street Station in Philadelphia tomorrow.  I think it's about an hour and five minutes and 15 for adults, 7.50 for children.  A former colleague from Boston, now in UC Riverside, is going to be in the Phila Convention Center and I want to hook with him and have a meal or something like that.  Any recommendations for decent, fattening, large portions, reasonably priced, in that area?  He has a penchant for Slavic and Mediterranean fare.
Link
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »

Rachel Maddow is the only person who is watchable on cable news and yes that includes the moderate heroes at CNN. It seems like some of you actually watch cable news...don't you know it ruins your brain? Stay clean and save your brain, kids.

Rachel?  Really?  She can go off on some pretty biased tangents sometimes.  When she's good she's good but I've definitely turned her off on multiple occasions.

The guy needs to go.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2012, 07:44:03 PM »

Cheesy  I'll have to borrow that.

By the bye, we'll be taking the train to 30th Street Station in Philadelphia tomorrow.  I think it's about an hour and five minutes and 15 for adults, 7.50 for children.  A former colleague from Boston, now in UC Riverside, is going to be in the Phila Convention Center and I want to hook with him and have a meal or something like that.  Any recommendations for decent, fattening, large portions, reasonably priced, in that area?  He has a penchant for Slavic and Mediterranean fare.

A friend of mine is coming in for the job fare at the same place.  We're going to hook up for Jamaican Tuesday.  There is an absolute gem of one in North Phila, but its a subway ride up.  You will NOT go hungry.  Smiley

Nothing downtown that I know of, and, other than Italian, I don't know of anything.  I know a few good Chinese places.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2012, 08:36:16 PM »

MMMM.  Jamaican.  Sweet curried meats, salty fish, plantains, and callaloo.  And rice, of course.  My epicurean experiences in Jamaica were always good, and generally involved spicy, yet sweet, foods.  Easy to find a restaurant on that island:  Look for any shack with five or more chickens in the yard.  When you enter there are five chickens.  When you leave there are four.  How fresh is that?  Jamaican chickens are so skinny, though.  I guess in a Jamaican restaurant in the US you get the best of both worlds:  a gringo-sized chicken, but jerked liberally.  Jamaican style.  I always imagined that if I were a chicken, my last request (before being eaten) would involve a thorough jerking by a strong and experienced pair of Jamaican hands.

Ah, well.  This dude likes Italian fare too, as I recall.  And you can never go wrong with chinese, especially if your permanent entourage includes a citizen of the PRC with a particularly sensitive nose.  

Cheers.  
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2012, 11:32:19 PM »

No, but it is still wrong.  In this case, Chicago is known for its political machine, not for being 100% black, or even majority black.  Toure is the one who seems to be race baiting here.

Yes, but Chicago is known for both it's black communities and political machine. Those who accuse Obama of "Chicago politics" are using both connotations.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2012, 03:37:29 AM »

Umm, "Chicago" wasn't really the core word in that sentence.
Also, of course, pointing out Obama of being a Chicago Politician was legitimate in 2008 but just looks ridiculous to any but the converted in 2012.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2012, 08:11:02 AM »

Piers Morgan?  He gets on my nerves after about five seconds.

That's a very good sign, you know.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »

Yes, but Chicago is known for both it's black communities and political machine. Those who accuse Obama of "Chicago politics" are using both connotations.

And Chicago has a large white community, as noted.  As a proportion of the population, Philadelphia has a larger black community.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:54 PM »

The only relevant question is what are Chicago politics known for. Entities need not be multiplied beyond necessity here.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2012, 01:14:06 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

-Ronald Reagan, 1980, in Philadephia, MS, sight of a triple murder of civil rights activists just a couple decades earlier.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

-Ronald Reagan, 1980, in Philadephia, MS, sight of a triple murder of civil rights activists just a couple decades earlier.

What Reagan actually said there is not actually controversial (to an extent I agree with him).  Where he said it is. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies