British Labour and Conservative MPs lash out at Paul Ryan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 11:11:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  British Labour and Conservative MPs lash out at Paul Ryan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: British Labour and Conservative MPs lash out at Paul Ryan  (Read 5462 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:56:48 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/08/14/paul-ryan-mitt-romneys-running-mate-attacks-nhs_n_1774738.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-politics&utm_hp_ref=uk

The American Right really need to get their fact right on this.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »

Here's to hoping the British will keep thrashing the Republican ticket all the way up through the election.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »

Here's to hoping the British will keep thrashing the Republican ticket all the way up through the election.

You know something's up when David Cameron gave a veiled endorsement to McCain/Palin, yet hit out at Romney when he visited the UK.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »

Yeah, that will show 'em!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »

It should. Alienating our closest and most major ally - not only Romney but Ryan, too - before even stepping into the Oval Office does not bode well for future relations. Or have Republicans simply stopped caring about foreign relations with our allies now that it is not convenient or based in war, due to the fact that neither Romney nor Ryan have any foreign policy experience or military service?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 07:03:45 PM »

Labour and even the Tories will always hate the GOP position on the NHS regardless of what is being said. That shouldn't affect our relations with the UK.

Romney and Ryan would be just as ridiculous if they suggested that our relationship with the UK would be negatively affected because of their national healthcare but you don't hear that. At the end of the day, it's always going to boil down to a difference in philosophy on a domestic issue. I'm sure I can find a slew of domestic issues in this country that our friends from across the pond misrepresent but I'm not whining that that will break our relationship.

The last part of your post was silly/blatantly hackish especially to a Republican like myself who considers foreign relations a major area of concern. I'm only bringing it up because of an inaccurate talking point that your side has been pushing: Ryan doesn't have foreign policy experience. The only probably with that "point" is that Ryan has been a member of the House for thirteen years. He certainly has some foreign policy experience.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2012, 07:31:39 PM by Politico »

Misery loves company. Europe wants to see America dragged down to its level. It is not a surprise that they want four more years of Obama.

For the record, it is undeniable that rationing and price controls of any resource, including health care, results in queuing/shortages and all that entails. Go ask people who remember Jimmy Carter's gas lines, which is akin to what Obamacare will do to seniors who rely on Medicare.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 07:28:54 PM »

The last part of your post was silly/blatantly hackish especially to a Republican like myself who considers foreign relations a major area of concern. I'm only bringing it up because of an inaccurate talking point that your side has been pushing: Ryan doesn't have foreign policy experience. The only probably with that "point" is that Ryan has been a member of the House for thirteen years. He certainly has some foreign policy experience.

Really, how do you get there?

Here's Ryan's committee memberships:

Committee on the Budget (Chairman)
Committee on Ways and Means
Subcommittee on Health
Republican Study Committee

Don't see anything about foreign relations there. Unless you mean he absorbed it through osmosis by being around other House members that were doing work on foreign policy.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 07:32:43 PM »

Subcommittee on Health

Don't see anything about foreign relations there. Unless you mean he absorbed it through osmosis by being around other House members that were doing work on foreign policy.

Romney's Secretary of State will make up for any deficiencies in the foreign policy realm.

This is all about the economy, anyway. Foreign policy is an area with few differences other than a more stern stance on Iran and a greater commitment to free trade.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »

It should. Alienating our closest and most major ally - not only Romney but Ryan, too - before even stepping into the Oval Office does not bode well for future relations. Or have Republicans simply stopped caring about foreign relations with our allies now that it is not convenient or based in war, due to the fact that neither Romney nor Ryan have any foreign policy experience or military service?

It says "Labour and Conservative MPs", not "Kadima and Likud MPs".
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 07:37:03 PM »

Meh, I still say Israel is third after Canada. It just takes in a lot more effort. I would comment on the effect of British MPs saying Americans are wrong criticizing the NHS, but Keystone Phil is doing an excellent job of it. Speaking of the NHS, I sure hope I'll live to see the day British health is privatized.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »

Subcommittee on Health

Apparently you don't vote on and debate matters outside of your committee. Roll Eyes
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 08:04:52 PM »

Meh, I still say Israel is third after Canada. It just takes in a lot more effort. I would comment on the effect of British MPs saying Americans are wrong criticizing the NHS, but Keystone Phil is doing an excellent job of it. Speaking of the NHS, I sure hope I'll live to see the day British health is privatized.

So that millions in our country would be without health care as well? Gee, thanks.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 08:07:41 PM »

What part of Foreign Policy does Paul Ryan excel at, exactly? Unless you count being in government and voting on something as direct foreign policy experience, dude is strictly domestic-focused. There's pretty much no way to argue otherwise.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »

What part of Foreign Policy does Paul Ryan excel at, exactly? Unless you count being in government and voting on something as direct foreign policy experience, dude is strictly domestic-focused. There's pretty much no way to argue otherwise.

Sarah Palin had more foreign policy experience being from a state next to Canada and Russia. Not that that says a lot, but still, it demonstrates the corner Mitt's in if something (god forbid) kicks off in the world in the next 3 months.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »

Obama is notable as an expert in communications because while in the Senate he voted on bills relating to the Postal Service. Little-known fact.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 08:14:50 PM »

Third if you're being realistic and all about it, but (in public) I don't think that's the official line of the Republican Party.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 08:16:49 PM »

Sarah Palin had more foreign policy experience being from a state next to Canada and Russia. Not that that says a lot, but still, it demonstrates the corner Mitt's in if something (god forbid) kicks off in the world in the next 3 months.

Not necessarily, the Romney team is likely licking their chops at the prospect of Egypt going tits up.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 09:17:32 PM »

The thread title makes it seem like quite a few MP's are getting rowdy at Ryan. When in reality, it's merely Jamie Reed, Labour shadow Health minister, and Stephen Dorrell, a Conservative moderate who says he 'doesn't disagree entirely' with Ryan's views and was probably only called on to comment to prevent Labour from making this a partisan issue. Not to mention this has only cropped up at all due to an old article Ryan penned in 2009.

Anyhow, considering the fact that Paul Ryan's budget plan is quite similar to George Osborne's, it would be ridiculous for any Conservative to attack Ryan for his proposals.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 09:20:39 PM »

The thread title makes it seem like quite a few MP's are getting rowdy at Ryan. When in reality, it's merely Jamie Reed, Labour shadow Health minister, and Stephen Dorrell, a Conservative moderate who says he 'doesn't disagree entirely' with Ryan's views and was probably only called on to comment to prevent Labour from making this a partisan issue. Not to mention this has only cropped up at all due to an old article Ryan penned in 2009.

Anyhow, considering the fact that Paul Ryan's budget plan is quite similar to George Osborne's, it would be ridiculous for any Conservative to attack Ryan for his proposals.

Austerity is working out so will for Britain, isn't it.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »

Third if you're being realistic and all about it, but (in public) I don't think that's the official line of the Republican Party.

I disagree. In terms of Mideast Foreign Policy - which is most of our foreign policy these days - we are wholly beholden to Israel.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »

Fixing the mess left by the last government was never going to be easy.

At least we still have our AAA credit rating.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 10:44:10 PM »

I disagree. In terms of Mideast Foreign Policy - which is most of our foreign policy these days - we are wholly beholden to Israel.

I don't know if 'beholden' is the right word, but certainly due to the long-standing ties between our two countries the US supports Israel's defense of her citizens against both terrorism and foreign aggression. Canada is closer, I think, but Canada doesn't have to deal with neighbors who absolutely despise it. Canada just has the fat US and cold Denmark.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 11:09:56 PM »

Fixing the mess left by the last government was never going to be easy.

At least we still have our AAA credit rating.
So did AIG and Lehman.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 11:24:03 PM »

The UK is not your closest ally. Je-sus.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies