Do Presidential Campaigns matter? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:06:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Do Presidential Campaigns matter? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do Presidential Campaigns matter?  (Read 2540 times)
RJ
« on: February 01, 2005, 11:15:36 PM »

I read somewhere Dukakis had a double digit lead on Bush sr. in 1988 when the campaigns got into full swing(17 points by some estimates). If that's true, something must have happened during the campaign since Bush recieved over 400 electoral votes and beat Dukakis by about 8 points on the popular column.

I don't think the campaign really means a whole lot for the underdog as much as it does for the favorite. I think it means more to not run a bad campaign than to concentrate on a good one. Obviously you would want the best one you can get, but it seems as though a bad campaign makes more of a difference than a good one. Mondale, for example, came out and said he would raise taxes in 1984. If he had little chance of dethroning Reagan before he said that, he was on life support after.
RJ
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 12:33:56 AM »

Anyone have a picture of Dukakis in the tank? I saw it earlier, and it's just classic!
RJ
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 11:00:32 PM »

Yes it was. Thanks.

Didn't James Campell or Allan Lichtman list the election of 1988? Why or why not?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies