Romney actually has some fans in Poland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 02:55:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney actually has some fans in Poland
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Romney actually has some fans in Poland  (Read 7875 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2012, 10:03:06 AM »

Do you want me to dig up coverage from (say) the Sun, the Daily Mail and the Daily Express about (for example) immigrants? I would rather not as it would make me angry, but will do if absolutely required. These are not liberal publications even next to Mitt Romney. Perhaps you should just accept that you are wrong, and embarrassingly so, and move on.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »

British opinion on immigration is more conservative than America as a whole, and right wing opinion as exemplified by the Sun, Mail (especially) and Express much more so.

Immigration is one of the few instances of British conservatism, if such a thing can truly be defined, that is to the right of the GOP.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »

Aren't a lot of European countries pretty right wing on immigration? It seems like there is a very strong anti immigrant sentiment among a lot of people over there. Does it have to do with fear over losing traditional culture?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2012, 02:02:55 PM »

Do you want me to dig up coverage from (say) the Sun, the Daily Mail and the Daily Express about (for example) immigrants? I would rather not as it would make me angry, but will do if absolutely required. These are not liberal publications even next to Mitt Romney. Perhaps you should just accept that you are wrong, and embarrassingly so, and move on.

Not really. You refuse to see where I'm coming from and seem to believe the two parties are clones of each other. So the one issue, immigration, makes the conservative press right wing nutters? Even though the country has public health care, extremely high taxes, and a huge social security net that years of Conservative government haven't been able to stop?

Look, I jumped the gun by saying small-c conservatives don't exist in Britain. But I can't believe you don't at least see what I'm getting at.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/07/31/romney_aide_curses_at_press_in_poland.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Looks like Mittens ran out of gaffes in the U.K. and now his aides must fill the void Sad
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »

You refuse to see where I'm coming from

Alas no. That's not the problem here at all.

Either you have severe issues with reading comprehension or you are dishonest.

What do you think 'for example' in that sort of context means, exactly? If you must know, then it is not especially hard to find noxious homophobic content in (for example) the pages of the Daily Mail, or attitudes towards women that are less than entirely in keeping with feminism in The Sun.

Firstly, we haven't had 'extremely high taxes' since the 1980s, but that's a side issue. The main thing is here is that none of that has anything to do with whether or not the press is 'liberal' in Britain (it is not).
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2012, 04:26:04 PM »

What do you think 'for example' in that sort of context means, exactly? If you must know, then it is not especially hard to find noxious homophobic content in (for example) the pages of the Daily Mail, or attitudes towards women that are less than entirely in keeping with feminism in The Sun.

I really don't know enough about British journalism to interfere in your debate with Hagrid, but I want to note that attitudes less than entirely in keeping with certain sects of feminism can be found literally anywhere.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2012, 05:03:06 PM »

Awkward moment of the day:

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »

I really don't know enough about British journalism to interfere in your debate with Hagrid, but I want to note that attitudes less than entirely in keeping with certain sects of feminism can be found literally anywhere.

I'm familiar with The Sun. It's not 'certain sects', believe me.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »

The Onion has this covered -

World Leader Wondering Why He Just Met With The Former Governor Of Massachusetts

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »

Epic.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to: