Official Chick-fil-A Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:06:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Official Chick-fil-A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: Official Chick-fil-A Thread  (Read 33509 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2012, 09:07:12 AM »

If only all these "devout" Christians could gather together to work at a food bank or something, like Jesus actually told them to do. But I guess it's easier to buy disgusting chicken as a way of sticking it to the f****ts instead.

Lief, my good friend, with all due respect, that's the 1000th time I've seen that statement.....mostly on FB and not by you.

It' s old......and it's not even good.  JMO.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2012, 09:45:58 AM »

Faceless cowards, even last f'ing one of them. A bunch of buffed up gays should hit the joint and hold hands together, and maybe kiss a few times for emphasis. They should select as their fare whatever is the loss leader offering of the day while doing it.

If you actually read the Twitter feeds of some of those people, you'd realize that some of them are actually gay and were tweeting sarcastically. Of course, sarcasm doesn't come across if you pick and choose for a Storify roundup based on a simple twitter search for the words "fag" and "chick-fil-a."
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2012, 10:12:50 AM »

And all of those people use Twitter, so they actually support gay rights.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »

How is supporting traditional values homophobic? I'm sick of seeing that term thrown around and misused so often. Supporting 1 man 1 woman marriage =/= hating the gays. Get over it.

This coming from a fervent gay rights supporter.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2012, 12:02:47 PM by krazen1211 »

A chick fil a gets vandalized.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/08/chick-fil-a-kiss-vandalism-hate.html

Hopefully these thugs are thrown in prison.

Liberal big shot screams at a fast food worker, loses his job.

http://www.businessinsider.com/vante-cfo-bullies-chick-fil-a-worker-then-promptly-gets-fired-for-it-2012-8
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2012, 11:50:14 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2012, 11:55:35 AM by fezzyfestoon »

How is supporting traditional values homophobic? I'm sick of seeing that term thrown around and misused so often. Supporting 1 man 1 woman marriage =/= hating the gays. Get over it.

Oftentimes, when you look past the surface of a conflict, you begin to delve into the roots of the motivations behind the positions people take. Sure, it's not a cause and effect, but it's hard to assert that the "traditional values" crowd isn't rooted in a strong preference against a certain group of people. Why else would a heavily anti-government chunk of the populace suddenly want the government to be extremely involved in something so unnecessary for it to have a position on?

The complete lack of any rationale behind the movement also begs the question of what the motivation is. Being pro-gay marriage is a manifestation of small government. Yet the anti-government, anti-gay marriage crowd relies entirely on the logical fallacy of an appeal to tradition. There's no reason to ban gay marriage other than the made up fact that it has to be between a man and a woman. Granted, Christian culture takes that fact as definitive, but you'd also think that a group of people evidently VERY concerned with religious freedom would recognize that not all peoples' religious beliefs are the same as theirs and that government should never mandate a religious belief.

But I expect you know this as a fervent gay rights supporter. So I'm not sure where there's any room to doubt that homophobia is the root of opposition to gay marriage.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2012, 11:54:15 AM »

As always, you have a really weird definition of 'landslide' and a weirder inability to distinguish between past, present, and future, but that's not really what I'm interested in right now. I'm interested in what sense you mean the word 'service' in '[Chick-fil-A] provid[es] good service'.

How exactly is the left being more 'oppressive' than the people supported and donated to by the good people at Chick-fil-A on this complex of issues? Are you really that offended by boycotts and disapprobation from public officials?

Chick Fil A provides good tasting food with clean restrooms and very polite customer service. Generally some consider these things hallmark of a leader in this industry.

I merely notice how one side is using the freedom of speech and freedom of commerce in the marketplace, and the other side is threatening questionably legal government coercion, which, to their credit, people like Emanuel and Menino have retracted. Certainly the leftists are quite free to use boycotts and disapprobation provided that they are not soliciting or otherwise breaking the law. Why they chose to escalate beyond that is unclear.

I particularly like the last image from the link above where Chick Fil A kindly provided beverages to those protesters! But that is because they are good and nice people.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/gay-chick-fil-a-employees-reveal-what-it-has-been-like-to-work-there-lately-2012-8

Anyone who takes their anger out on the employees is a jackass. The other side of it is the old folks who assume the young guy at the cash register shares their disdain for homos.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »

Man this is the stupidest issue in history.

Seriously, the fact that this is even an issue is mindblowing.  Dan Cathy is against gay rights?  Newsflash: So is Tom Monaghan, the owner of Domino's Pizza.  Where the f*** are the rallies against/for Domino's Pizza (nevermind that protesting an entire company because of the views of one old fart is ridiculous)?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2012, 01:12:21 PM »

You're using boilerplate Republican lingo, are we to assume you'll soon be talking about "preserving traditional marriage" and so on?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »

Seriously, the fact that this is even an issue is mindblowing.  Dan Cathy is against gay rights?  Newsflash: So is Tom Monaghan, the owner of Domino's Pizza.  Where the f*** are the rallies against/for Domino's Pizza (nevermind that protesting an entire company because of the views of one old fart is ridiculous)?

How do you rally against a delivery place?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2012, 01:36:11 PM »

How do you rally against a delivery place?

Kiss when the delivery driver shows up?  Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »

Whats Chick-fil-a and what happened ?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »

Roll Eyes

Chick-fil-A is a chain restaurant that operates mainly in the U.S whose signature product is a CHICKen FILET sandwich.  The CEO and principle owner made remarks that were against same-sex marriage and a couple of northern politicos made noises about preventing the restaurant from opening up locations in their fair cities. Predictable salvoes from both right and left have ensued.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »

I particularly like the last image from the link above where Chick Fil A kindly provided beverages to those protesters! But that is because they are good and nice people.

To be fair, that's one restaurant that did that.  You can't base your opinion on everyone at Chick-fil-A based on a single restaurant.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2012, 03:12:10 PM »

I understand that it boils down to people arguing over a fast food joint, and that can seem insanely trivial, but the reason myself and a lot of other people are pissed off is...

1) we knew they were a Christian company, we did not know they donated money to the Family Research Council and their ilk.  (I personally used to go there all the time knowing the operators were devout Christians.  I like their spicy chicken sandwiches.  Knowing now that some of my hard-earned money is going to find its way into the pockets of the FRC?  Heh... not so much.)

and later on...

2) that conservative talking heads encouraged thousands of people to show up at the restaurants to take a public shot at gays.  Free speech and traditional values, my ass.  This crowd takes a shot at the LBGT community every chance they get. 

it's not the issue in and of itself; it's that it reflects very poorly on our society and a large segment of it.  Fortunately, as a previous poster said, this issue is a massive win for the left in America down the line. 

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »

For the record, Chick-fil-A's chicken isn't awful.  Their trade mark chicken sandwich is actually pretty good, as are the breakfast biscuits.  I'm not the kind of person who eats at fast food much (usually only when I'm on the road or something unusual is going on) but when I do, Chick-fil-A is one of the fast food joints I look for.

I bring that up because eventually I'll eat another Chick-fil-A sandwich.  Not because I support the views of the owners, but because it's decent quality for fast food (only joint I've never found hair in my food at).  I don't think it's some travesty to buy the products of companies whose views or practices may be unethical or immoral.  Most people do it all the time; if you own an Apple product for instance you are guilty.  But choosing not to buy their product is only going to leave you out of the money, or in the case of Chick-fil-A, with McDonald's rubber "chicken" floating around in your stomach.

From my point of view, don't be afraid to buy their products, but have fun with it.  If you're gay, make sure to make out with your boy/girlfriend while sitting at your booth, or whatever.  No need to be so serious.  The outpouring of support we're seeing is homophobia in its death throes.  Time is on the side of gay rights, so there's no need to get outraged about the moral failings of the Chick-fil-A ownership. 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »

The people who say Chick-fil-A is awful probably haven't ever eaten there. It's actually pretty good as far as fast food goes and while it may be unhealthy, fried chicken made by anybody is going to be unhealthy. Them being closed on Sunday is super annoying though.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »

Herman Cain says that Cathy told him that Chick-Fil-A would be donating their Wednesday profits to anti-gay groups. Frightening if true.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2012, 05:30:33 PM »

Don't be a dumb. For a same-sex couple that wants to get married, being told that they can't and that it's not because opponents "hate the gay" is bullsh**t. It really does mean that those people hate the life that gay men and women lead and don't want their commitment to be official before the law, which means yes, "hating the gay". I at least have some respect for opponents of same-sex marriage who are upfront about it and say it's because they hate gay people. None for opponents who say they don't hate gay people, and civil unions are "good enough" or some dumb sh**t like that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »

Don't be a dumb. For a same-sex couple that wants to get married, being told that they can't and that it's not because opponents "hate the gay" is bullsh**t. It really does mean that those people hate the life that gay men and women lead and don't want their commitment to be official before the law, which means yes, "hating the gay". I at least have some respect for opponents of same-sex marriage who are upfront about it and say it's because they hate gay people. None for opponents who say they don't hate gay people, and civil unions are "good enough" or some dumb sh**t like that.
What I think many people do not understand is the fact that some people interpret their faith as saying its wrong. Hell, I thought same sex marriage was wrong until last Sunday, and it is in the Bible, no doubt about it. My faith is much more important to me than whether or not homosexuals have their rights.

In the Bible, it does clearly condemn homosexual marriage. It also clearly says that we are made in Gods image. And scissors cuts paper. Thus, in my opinion, homosexuality is reconciled with Christianity, with God’s law being more important than ancient Israeli old testament beliefs. But, some Christians disagree with me on this. Some do believe that the Old Testament is important as a stepping stone for the Gospel. That does not make them hateful. I think some gay rights activists are hateful. I think they downright hate Christians just because a bunch of closeted Catholic bishops and radical Southern Baptists and Pentecostals claim to represent Christianity and “family values”. If “family values” automatically is “hate”, than it would be equally logical to say that aids is to be totally blamed on homosexuals-which is an incredibly illogical and stupid statement.

Opponents of gay marriage look at gay marriage the way gays look at it. They feel it should be prevented on religious grounds as much as gays feel it should be pushed through on civil rights grounds. Yes, it is true that the Rick Santorums and Mike Huckabees of the world condemn gay rights only to turn around and say “oh no, were being discriminated against for our Christian faith” and what have you, but the people on the “family values” side of the issue are just as well intentioned as those who are on the side of gay marriage.

Again, I believe that gay marriage can be reconciled with Christianity (IE-The Gospel, not the Old Testament),so I am on the side of those who seek marriage equality in the state of Florida (marriage is entirely a state by state issue), but too condemn those who support family values as homophobes is just as bad as to condemn homosexuals for their lifestyle. Both sides of the issue are right, and both are wrong, in many, many ways. That is why this issue is one of the most needlessly passionate and distracting issues in American politics.   
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2012, 10:03:25 PM »

You're using boilerplate Republican lingo, are we to assume you'll soon be talking about "preserving traditional marriage" and so on?

Absolutely not, but I'm defending people's right to hold "traditional" values. Do I think they're wrong? Totally. I believe marriage should indeed be between two people who love each other, regardless of gender. Straight people have so thoroughly f**ked up the "institution of marriage" that I say give the gays a shot to prove everyone wrong. On the other hand, this is America and everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of how stupid I think it is. Just because Dan Cathy opposes gay marriage does not mean you should boycott his company. Boycott him, protest him, call him an idiot, do not take it out on his employees. Not everyone who works at Chick-Fil-A is a Christian, nor are they all supporters of "traditional" marriage. Let's face it: Christianity is the dominant religion in America and a lot of Christians support 1 man 1 woman marriages, that does not mean they're homophobes, it means they care greatly about their religion and want to have society reflect those values. Again, I think they're 100% wrong and I believe religion and politics should not be mixed, as it only leads to flamewars and unnecessary bickering, but I believe they are entitled to that opinion. Freedom is for all, no matter how stupid the person is in my opinion. I absolutely believe that the Westboro Baptist Church should be allowed to do their protests and whatnot. Let them make fools of themselves, don't ban their right to do so. But that's just my two sense.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #172 on: August 03, 2012, 10:19:17 PM »

I decided to eat at a Chick-fil-A in Davenport in order to "stand in solidarity" with free enterprise or some such nonsense. I wish I had not. Their chicken was not that good and I think that the tweenaged girl who prepared it had never used cooking tools before. The drink I purchased tasted like waffle fries and in the food court a rather fat, odorous family decided to sit next to me. That last issue is not the fault of Chick-fil-A but the rest of it is. In short, if any more gay groups wish to protest the place keep this in mind: the food that this company produces may well harm it more than anything that it's CEO says about gay issues.   
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #173 on: August 03, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »

Opponents of gay marriage don't have to live with any of the consequences that come with a lack of civil rights and are either ignorant or bigoted. I don't care about them suffering from a tiny iota of disdain that comes from gay rights activists, many of them who have dealt with abuse because of the world view of those in support of "family values". They're not the victims and if you think they are, you need to get your panties un-bunched.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2012, 11:20:45 PM »

A very effective marketing gag for the company ...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies