The Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:08:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Bill  (Read 23289 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« on: January 21, 2005, 04:12:40 PM »

Add

Section 7
All funds for the United Nations Fund for Population Activities will be cut, and those funds will be appropriated for this program.

also I think Akno's Education and Ripoff for Taxpayers Bill addressed the concerns of Section 5 about Child Day Care.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 04:32:40 PM »

As far as our support for UNFPA, we have 34 million that is presently going overseas to support mothers overseas.  Reappropriate that money to support this program.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 05:02:42 PM »

As far as our support for UNFPA, we have 34 million that is presently going overseas to support mothers overseas.  Reappropriate that money to support this program.

What exactly is wrong with helping other nations?

I suppose I support this, although I'm curious how the 250 million number came to be.

The money is better spent on this then aborting a child in Botswana or Papua New Guinea.  That's what is wrong with it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 05:08:19 PM »

Id support this and urge my Senators too as well, even with some of the problems I have with the federal government getting too involved in things like this.

FWIW, I like Gabu's amendment, as long as it specifies birth control before pregnancy, not afterwards and of course I think Jake's amendment is good.  Smiley

Now, I just wonder when we are going to close the abortion mills altogether.  That's the next necessity.  Smiley  Maybe some of the funding for that could go to fund this program (gets evil right-wing glint).

I support Gabu's amendment IF it specifies birth control pills as the only funded item and if it specifies that they're to be used to prevent pregnancy, not birth.  

Also, for the concerns of John and Bono, I think it is better to transfer all funding the feds provide for abortion and crap like that to be directed towards birth control pills, to be used to prevent pregnancy, and not to child care.  This is looking alot like Akno level BS.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 06:23:31 PM »

My friend John Dibble seems to be concerned that this bill will cost far more than I have suggested.  If that is the case, then I think that maybe it would be a good idea to increase the funding of this program, designed to save lives and bring hope, to about:

$1.2 billion...  Oh, what a coincidence, that number is equal to roughly .001% of the 2001 Bush tax cut.

Explain
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 07:45:53 PM »

What exactly is wrong with helping other nations?

I suppose I support this, although I'm curious how the 250 million number came to be.

The money is better spent on this then aborting a child in Botswana or Papua New Guinea.  That's what is wrong with it.

Helping end overpopulation is a good use of our wealth.

Akno, AFAIK, Maryland public schools have to many students, should some "eliminated" to "curb overcrowding and overpopulation"?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 11:33:55 PM »

Come on, guys, let's not turn this thread into a debate about abortion.  This bill isn't about either legalizing or banning abortion.  Both pro-choice people and pro-life people alike can (at least I hope) acknowledge that Supersoulty's bill is a good idea (at least in principle, disregarding its costs).

No, Gabu, this is about what I expected to be honest with you.  Just like when I proposed, as Vice-President to end both abortion and capital punishment is all but the most extreme cases.  No one would back it, which is about what I expected.  Everyone tunred into a hypocrite instead.

Well, okay, then the above is what it should be.  Honestly, I can't see what's so horrible about this bill.

The amount of money is large.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 04:27:24 PM »

Section 1

The Federal Government of Atlasia will appropriate $250 million over the next 5 years to fund the opperations and opening of shelters for unwed mothers, all accross Atlasia.

a) Shelters must pass regional and federal
              standards, in order to recieve funds.

b) Atlasia reserves the right to discontinue
              funding of any group, organization or shelter
              that does not meet those standards.

c) Women in the care of those shelters will be
              granted legal protection and adaquate monitary
              compensation to move to the nearest shelter that
              matches those standards.

Section 2

State and Federal funds to CHIP programs will resume to insure the protection of all children or fetus' classified as "unborn.  This will be done in such a way so that funding and coverage is  commensurate with pre-2004 levels.

Section 3

Nessesary living expenses for new mothers will be provided for by all of those who apply, by the Federal government of Atlasia, for up to and including 5 years after the birth of the child.

a) These funds will be terminated if any of the
                following occure with in that time span.

1a) Another child is born to the same mother

2a) The woman enters a state of marriage

b) No woman living with a "permenant" male
                partner, or in a common law marriage will be
                allow to collect funding.

c) Monthly interviews with each woman on the
                program will be required.  If that woman is found
                to be:

1c) Abusing the child

2c) Abusing legal or illegal subsatances

3c)Causing harm to the child's development

Then her child will be put into foster care and she
               will be removed from the program and all benefits
               taken away.

d) Any government employee found to be abusing
                  his or her clients, or in someother way impeding
                  their rights, will be immediatly fired or otherwise
                 or other wise punished in a court of law.

e) Pamphlets advertising these benefits will be
                  made available at all Social Security offices,
                  OBGYN's offices and licensed abortion clinics
                  in Atlasia.  Failure to comply will bring about
                  the following penalties.

1e) First offense, the clinic/office will be fined $ 1,000

2e) Second offense, the clinic/office will be fined $ 5,000

3e) Third offense, the clinic/office will lose it's license to operate.

Section 4

Funding for the above will be provided by the Federal Government of Atlasia, amounting to $500 million over the next 5 years.

Section 5
Funding for the above will also be provided by cutting funding for the UNFPA and diverting the money to pay for Section 3.

Section 5

The federal government will provide a stipened of $1,000/year to all mothers who qualify for the program for:

a) Child/Day care.

b) Other form of Daytime Child Care.

Section 6

The federal government will provide upto $1,500/semester in additional grants for all mothers who apply for the program.  This is to be used for:

a) Enrollment in Community College

b) Enrollment is Technical College

c) Enrollment in State University.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 04:34:30 PM »

The rest of the bill doesn't work if you eliminate Sections 5&6 because the cycle of poverty will just continue.

Section 5 is redundant.  Akno's bill already provides Day Care for all poor kids from the day they're born until they are a teen.

Section 6 is alot of money to spend.  College is expensive and 1.5 K isn't going to make a difference to some women.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 05:04:48 PM »

The rest of the bill doesn't work if you eliminate Sections 5&6 because the cycle of poverty will just continue.

Section 5 is redundant.  Akno's bill already provides Day Care for all poor kids from the day they're born until they are a teen.

Section 6 is alot of money to spend.  College is expensive and 1.5 K isn't going to make a difference to some women.

Section 6 goes along with addition government grants that usually total about $5,000.  That would make it about $6,500 per semester, enough for anyone to get into a decent state run college.

These women won't have as much time to work as, say a traditional working class college student, so every little bit helps.  The day-care is to assist in that as well.

Where is Akno's bill?  Has it passed yet?

Akno's Bill passed in October.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 05:08:36 PM »

Section 6 goes along with addition government grants that usually total about $5,000.  That would make it about $6,500 per semester, enough for anyone to get into a decent state run college.

These women won't have as much time to work as, say a traditional working class college student, so every little bit helps.  The day-care is to assist in that as well.

Where is Akno's bill?  Has it passed yet?

Akno's Bill passed in October.

May I see it?  Do you have the thread?

Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act
Section A
From the second a child is born into a family that is below the poverty line, that child's parents will have the option of sending the child to a day-care center, operated from 6 AM until 7 PM, until the child is ready to attend the normal public school. The day-care center will be cost free, and it will attempt to instill positive traits in children at a young age, so that they will be better adults. The federal government will allocate funds for this, but will leave all decisions up to local governments.

Section B
For children who live with families below the poverty line, totally free before and after-school care will be provided until the child graduates middle school. The rest is the same as Section A.

Section C
The estimated cost of this is 18.9 billion dollars this year, and 17.65 billion dollars every other year. That cost is split between hiring people to run the programs, providing equipment for the programs, and, if needed, constructing new facilities.

Passed by the Third Congress of the A.F.F. (October 20, 2004)
Presented to the President on October 22, 2004
Entered into law after 7 days with no executive action.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=9882.0
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 11:56:35 AM »

I don't think it has gone up for debate yet.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 08:37:39 PM »

As unpopular as it may be with the conservatives and libertarians in District 4, I vote my conscience.

YEA[/size]

BOOOOOOO
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 03:49:34 PM »

VETO please
Pages: [1]  
Jump to: