The Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:30:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Bill  (Read 23295 times)
WiseGuy

« on: February 02, 2005, 04:23:51 PM »

May I inject my thoughts?  First, I agree completely with the objections that Mr. CheeseWhiz raised.  I would also like to add that this bill does nothing to get rid of what I believe is the root cause of the problem you are trying to tackle, i.e., the decreasing number of Parents who take an active role in the raising of their children. 

Senators, I also urge you to vote no on this bill.  I have nothing against Senator Supersoulty personally, and in fact would like to express a sense of understanding for his stance on this issue because I have a niece who was born to an unwed mother, but this bill has too many inherent problems for me to remain silent any longer.

This bill encourages welfare-like programs and more bloating of the Federal Government, which I consider dangerous and even deadly to the nation. I believe that we should encourage Families, whether the couple is married or not, to stay together, and this bill does not do that.  Payroll and sales tax cuts are a step in the right direction, I think, but it's still not enough.

We should encourage at least one of the parents to take primary charge for their children and not dump them off at daycare.  Again, I believe the decrease of parents who take charge in the upbringing of their children, 24/7, is a part of the reason we have so much teenage pregnancy, deadbeat dads, and other problems in our society.

Finally, I am concerned about the role that the CPS, an agency that is currently under investigation in many states (including our own) for abuse of their power and privilege, will play in determining exactly which parents are considered abusive as per section 5e. 

So, in closing I urge that all senators vote a strong NO on this bill as proposed.  Thank you for your time.
WiseGuy

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 09:14:11 AM »
« Edited: February 03, 2005, 09:16:44 AM by WiseGuy »

Senator, I hear your frustration and concerns loud and clear, and I agree that these are serious problems that need to be addressed.  I am not content to follow the status quo, however, and this looks like just another "aid" program destined to inflate the welfare state to bursting!.  I do not believe that this bill will reduce the number of abortions significantly.  People don't want to be saddled with a kid because many of their own parents were taught by our society to feel the same way -- that raising children is a second-class job, a hassle and a burden.    I'm saying what we need to do is get the government out of people's business and trust them to handle their own affairs.  I'm saying that we need to get rid of government programs which usurp the family. 

You are correct, we can't force people to spend more time with their kids, but we can stop encouraging the opposite!  We need to close the Government-funded babysitters and tell people that the State is not in the business of raising the next generation!  Let free enterprise and service organizations provide childcare, if necessary.  If we can get to the root of the problem, we will be able to find ways to enable both mothers and fathers to spend more time with their children and that will be the first step toward curbing abortions and teenage pregnancy without creating "new & improved" programs in an ever-growing government bureaucracy!  Thank you, I yield the floor (been glued to the Senate debates on C-SPAN all week Wink + Tongue)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies