The Right Choice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:09:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Right Choice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Right Choice  (Read 5756 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 01:04:45 PM »

ROMNEY AND MARTINEZ KICK OFF THREE-DAY WESTERN SWING
Saturday, July 21st, 2012

Governors Romney and Martinez gave a fiery performance at a rally in Henderson on Saturday.

Mitt Romney and Susana Martinez kicked off a three-day campaign tour at a rally in Henderson, Nevada earlier today. The rally, attended by thousands, is the first in a series of many that is designed to introduce running mate Susana Martinez to the American populace. The tour will feature rallies in Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado before Romney leaves on Tuesday for a trip to Europe. The rallies come after polls released Friday suggest negative perceptions of former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin could be tainting Americans’ opinions of Susana Martinez.

According to one Romney aide, the tour is designed to capitalize on Governor Martinez’s appeal in the West. Colorado has long been a toss-up throughout the course of the campaign, and the Romney team is hoping they’ll be able to lock up that state with Martinez on the ticket.

“We need your help!” Governor Martinez said at today’s Henderson event. “If we win in the West, we win in November!”

She went on to make a direct pitch for herself as vice president: “I know some of you have concerns about me—I read the papers… and I’m prepared to give you a concrete list of the ones I consult.” She drew chuckles from the audience for her nod to Sarah Palin’s vice presidential candidacy in 2008. “But I’m here to reassure you that I am a Westerner at heart. I fought for children who could not defend themselves while I was an attorney in New Mexico. I balanced our state budgets as governor. I will fight for a solution to illegal immigration that respects the integrity of the law, but makes sure Hispanics aren’t left in the dust! I’m your woman, Nevada!”

No news yet whether Martinez will accompany Romney on his European tour.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 08:09:01 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2012, 09:21:26 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

DUELLING ADS SEEK TO DEFINE SUSANA MARTINEZ
Saturday, July 21st, 2012

Saturday saw the airwaves pick up with duelling ads from the Romney and Obama campaigns. The president has released two ads that seek to compare GOP vice presidential candidate Susana Martinez with Sarah Palin. One ad, entitled “Two Mama Grizzlies,” features video footage from Sarah Palin’s 2010 endorsement of Martinez’s gubernatorial bid in New Mexico, as well as a statement Palin made Thursday about “being a lot like” Martinez. The other ad, “Changing the Headlines,” asserts that Romney made an attention-grabbing running mate choice to divert attention from his record at Bain.

The one-minute ad from camp Romney (called “The Right Choice”) highlights Susana Martinez’s tenure as governor and District Attorney. In her own words, Martinez explains how she prosecuted criminals who committed crimes against children: “We had to fight for those kids who were killed this way.”  The ad represents increased efforts on the part of the Romney camp to define their ticket as the “family values” option in the race.

Both campaigns made significant ad buys for their television spots. The Romney campaign will be spending close to $12 million to run its ad in Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Iowa, Ohio, Virginia, and Florida. Obama’s campaign spent a combined $16 million to run its ads in those same states, as well as New Hampshire and North Carolina.

The ads come after Romney and Martinez executed a well-received media blitz on Friday to debunk misconceptions about the New Mexico governor.

”Two Mama Grizzlies,” released by the Obama Campaign.

”Changing the Headlines,” also released by Obama.

“The Right Choice,” released by the Romney campaign.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »

I don't know how you get all of these graphics, but it's simply amazing.

It's ironic Obama is attacking Romney for diverting the subject from Bain, considering he's diverting the subject from the economy, which is what voters mostly care about.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 09:17:32 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2012, 09:25:22 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

The common Obama tactic haha.

And thanks tmth. I tinker with most of the pictures myself--it's a lot of fun! Smiley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »

OBAMA ACCIDENTALLY CALLS MARTINEZ “PALIN,” ASSAILS ROMNEY’S V.P. CHOICE
Sunday, July 22nd, 2012

President Obama made an appearance on Meet the Press Sunday
 to comment on what he calls “Distraction Week” for Mitt Romney.

Earlier today, President Barack Obama hit the Sunday morning talk show circuit to hammer Mitt Romney for his running mate choice of Susana Martinez. The President mostly sought to characterize Martinez as inexperienced, and recalled the 2008 campaign when GOP nominee John McCain made a “gimmick choice” to change the narrative.

Obama’s responses to questions from Meet the Press’s David Gregory were largely in-line with talking points from two negative ads his campaign released yesterday. “Mitt Romney’s dealing with a little bit of trouble on his tax returns,” Obama told Gregory. “Americans want to know what he’s hiding, and David… I think that’s a fair thing to wanna know. But you see, Mitt Romney doesn’t want us asking these questions. So he, um, he threw the kitchen sink at us when he chose Governor Palin—sorry, Governor Martinez. And people are smart enough to see through that, I’m not worried.”

The president later went on to assert that he wouldn’t have made the choice Romney made, mostly because of Martinez’s “poor record with Latinos in New Mexcio.” He also argued Romney would have been smarter to name a running mate with more foreign policy experience: “It’s not my place to say,” said Obama, “but I’d want to choose someone who made up for my weaknesses—Romney doesn’t have a foreign policy resume.”

A recent CNN flash poll released Friday showed poor favorability ratings for Governor Martinez. The poll suggests President Obama could be winning the battle to define the governor amongst Americans.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 10:55:50 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2012, 10:57:58 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

BREAKING: MASSIVE SLIP IN POLLS FOR MITT ROMNEY!
Monday, July 23rd, 2012

The addition of Susana Martinez to Romney’s campaign has inspired a massive chunk
of the electorate to shift away from Mitt Romney.

The Mitt Romney campaign has devastating news to contend with after newly released polls from Purple Strategies show Romney falling far behind President Obama in a number of swing states. The shift in the polls would seem to directly correlate with Romney’s recent announcement of New Mexico Susana Martinez as governor. According to numbers from Purple Strategies, Romney is trailing in Florida, Iowa, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, and Virginia, and he has lost significant ground in Indiana, which was once considered a lock for the former Massachusetts governor.

A national poll released this morning was also unkind to Governor Romney, showing him running nine points behind the president.

The Romney campaign has not yet commented on these new numbers. The Obama camp, however, was quick to characterize the polls as a referendum on Governor Martinez. The statement from Obama’s campaign largely followed the president’s recent line of attack against Romney’s running mate.

Current Polling

National: July 23rd, 2012
Barack Obama: 50%
Mitt Romney: 41%

Pres. BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA (D-IL): 294
Fmr. Gov. WILLARD MITT ROMNEY (R-MA): 191
(TOSS-UP: 53)

Florida: July 23rd, 2012
Barack Obama: 47% (+3)
Mitt Romney: 45% (-3)

Indiana: July 23rd, 2012
Barack Obama: 46%
Mitt Romney: 50%

Iowa: July 23rd, 2012
Barack Obama: 49% (+3)
Mitt Romney: 44% (-4)

New Hampshire: July 23rd, 2012
Barack Obama: 51% (+3)
Mitt Romney: 41% (-5)

North Carolina: July 23rd, 2012
Barack Obama: 47% (+2)
Mitt Romney: 45% (-5)

Ohio: July 23rd, 2012
Barack Obama: 50% (+2)
Mitt Romney: 42% (-3)

Virginia: July 23rd, 2012
Barack Obama: 50% (+2)
Mitt Romney: 41% (-2)

New Mexico: July 18th, 2012
Barack Obama: 49%
Mitt Romney: 44%
Gary Johnson: 5%

Colorado: July 13th, 2012
Barack Obama: 45%

Nevada: June 10th, 2012
Barack Obama: 48%
Mitt Romney: 42%
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 11:25:43 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2012, 04:46:47 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

BREAKING: SOURCE SAYS ROMNEY CHANGED MIND, WAS GOING TO PICK THUNE
Monday, July 23rd, 2012

One campaign insider alleges Romney had firmly selected Senator John Thune
to be his running mate before abruptly switching his choice to Martinez.

The Mitt Romney campaign could be dealing with an internal civil war, suggests one aide who spoke to our reporters on the condition of anonymity Monday. According to the aide, factions within the campaign and even some of Romney’s most valued advisors are feuding over the candidates’s “rogue decision” to select Martinez. Interestingly, the campaign had already been preparing to roll out a Romney-Thune ticket when the GOP candidate announced he had changed his mind.

“In light of recent polls,” the aide said, “I feel compelled to come forward. Martinez is not going to be a winning candidate.” The source went on to explain that she hoped increased pressure from the public would force Romney to reconsider his choice before the convention. “The governor [Romney] wanted to change the news stories, but as many of us insisted, it has backfired horribly.”

Publicly, Romney maintains that Martinez is an immeasurable asset to his campaign. Privately, Romney has doubts, but is still confident that Governor Martinez could be able to work her way into the hearts of Americans.

Many pundits were surprised at Romney’s selection of Martinez, believing he would have gone with a more risk-averse candidate.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 06:32:14 PM »

MITT ROMNEY HEADS OVERSEAS FOR WEEKLONG TOUR
Tuesday, July 24th, 2012

Governor Romney will make stops in England, Poland, and Israel to visit
with foreign officials and solicit campaign donations from American expats.

All-but-certain GOP nominee Mitt Romney landed at Heathrow International Airport in London this afternoon to begin his weeklong tour of Europe and the Middle East. Romney will spend the first leg of his trip in England, where he will meet with Prime Minister David Cameron at 10 Downing Street. After the formal meeting, the candidate will tour some sports venues for the 2012 London Olympic Games with IOC President Jacques Rogge. Governor Romney will attend the opening ceremonies of the games on Friday and then continue on to Poland and Israel.

The trip comes amidst news of grumblings within the Romney camp over the direction Romney has steered the campaign. While most criticism involves the selection of New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez for running mate, new sources have since expressed confusion over the purpose of Romney’s trip. With polls released Monday showing Romney losing serious ground to President Obama, some wonder if Romney might have been better to continue campaigning at home in the United States.

Obama, too, has capitalized on Romney’s overseas trip. President Obama’s campaign released a web ad today, called “Skipping Out,” which condemns Romney for meeting with international “fat cat” oil industry donors instead of worrying about issues here at home. Romney has not commented.

There had been some speculation whether vice presidential candidate Susana Martinez would accompany Romney this week. Yesterday, the campaign announced that she’d be staying behind to headline several high profile fundraisers and campaign events in the Rust Belt.

Martinez held her first solo event this morning. Although the event—a fundraiser—was closed to the press, several guests said Martinez made a concerted effort to assure supporters she is not a Sarah Palin redux.

Martinez did not respond to yesterday's news that Romney had abruptly replaced John Thune with herself on the ticket.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 12:42:13 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2012, 01:59:13 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

SARAH PALIN ANNOUNCES TEA PARTY BUS TOUR, SCORNS MITT ROMNEY
Tuesday, July 24th, 2012

Sarah Palin will kick off a Tea Party Express bus tour next month after the
closing ceremonies of the London Olympics.

Sarah Palin didn’t mince any words in Daytona Beach this afternoon when talking about Mitt Romney’s “crisis management” over the Martinez pick. While most of the rally was dedicated to announcing a Tea Party Express bus tour that will begin next month, Palin did give some advice to Mitt Romney: Don’t attack your own.

“Governor Romney seems to think being a passionate voice for the no-nonsense right is a bad thing. Well—I think we all know better than that, Florida,” Palin said. "This tour will be the 'Fix American Now Tour,' and I think we need to tell Mr. Romney not to run from the only ideology that will fix this great nation! So Florida, I ask you: Why is Mitt Romney running from me? Why is Susana Martinez insisting that me and her are, quote, very different? I have to say, I’m a little upset. We need a president who’ll have the courage to stand up for what’s right, not one who’ll get sucked in and spat out by the establishment—we’ve already got that! Hopefully that European vacation will help our candidate clear his head.”

This scathing criticism of Romney comes in the wake of a Romney campaign strategy that seems to involve creating as much distance between Sarah Palin and Susana Martinez as possible. Although the announced bus tour is meant to galvanize voters to come out for Mitt Romney, an affronted Palin will hardly be able to offer the fiery, public endorsement that she is known for—even if she is only scheduled to speak at a few stops along the tour.

The “Fix America Now” rallies be held across the Eastern Seaboard and Rust Belt, with events in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2012, 02:28:28 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

MITT ROMNEY MEETS PRIME MINISTER DAVID CAMERON IN ENGLAND
Wednesday, July 25th, 2012

GOP candidate Mitt Romney met with British Prime Minister David Cameron
at Downing Street on Wednesday.

Prime Minister Cameron and Governor Mitt Romney made public statements outside Number 10 Downing Street this morning before heading inside for a private meeting. In his statement, Prime Minister Cameron officially welcomed Romney to the United Kingdom. He told the press that he was looking forward to hosting Romney at the Olympic Opening Ceremony on Friday and thanked him for his contributions to “Olympic spirit” in 2002 and beyond. Romney was the President of the 2002 organizing committee for the Salt Lake games.

The GOP candidate’s statement was slightly more political: He told the small crowd of members of the press and public that he would be president for human interests across the world. “I will not let China dictate the terms of trade with the West,” Romney said. “As president, I will stand up to China—and this is something that’s not just in America’s interest. Your Prime Minister will have a partner in me when it comes to keeping China honest. And I’m afraid and sorry that our current President has not worked more closely with your leaders.”

Romney’s private meeting with Cameron was reportedly friendly and casual, with the two men discussing topics that ranged from the Olympics to drought in the American plains to the problems posed by a nuclear Iran.

David Cameron is Britain’s first Conservative Prime Minister since Sir John Major left office in 1997. Cameron’s visit with Romney could be potentially problematic in England, as it usually not customary for sitting prime ministers to meet with foreign candidates for election. Romney will also meet with the British Foreign Secretary, as well as former Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Back in the United States, President Obama has released another ad decrying Romney’s foreign trip, using a comment from Sarah Palin in which she called Romney’s trip a “European vacation.” Sarah Palin is becoming something of a star in Obama’s recent ads as tension continues to build between her and the Romney camp.

The ad is aptly titled “European Vacation.”

The Obama ad features the Parisian skyline, even though
Romney is not scheduled to visit the French city.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 03:47:35 PM »

Cool.  Keep it up Wink
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 04:03:15 PM »

Thanks Jerseyrules. I know it's something of a commitment to read Tongue ... but I really want to document a whole campaign. And I pretty much have nothing to do this summer lol.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2012, 08:29:10 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

FOUR NEW STATE POLLS SHOW NUMBERS STEADYING FOR ROMNEY
Wednesday, July 25th, 2012

Four state polls from CNN released Wednesday show Mitt Romney’s numbers steadying after a dramatic drop in support over the weekend. While Romney has not rebounded in the polls (out of Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, and Ohio), his numbers have not significantly changed since Monday.

According to a sample of likely voters, if the election were held today, Obama would win Florida by four points, North Carolina by two points, Virginia by seven points, and Ohio by seven points. Nationally, Obama leads by seven.

Many pundits attributed Romney’s drop in the polls to his selection of New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez. The steadying numbers for Romney would seem to suggest that many of the voters who would be turned off by Martinez have already defected from Mitt Romney’s fold. Officially, the Romney campaign remains confident that voters will come around to Governor Martinez once they get to know her. Unofficially, sources inside Romney’s camp tell us that some staffers remain disappointed with Romney’s choice of Martinez.

CNN also asked Republicans which candidate they would have preferred for vice president if given a choice between Governor Susana Martinez and Romney’s original choice, Senator John Thune. Republicans were divided on the issue. The usefulness of the survey is suspect, as many Republicans are far more familiar with Martinez than Thune.

The Romney camp has still not responded to Monday’s leaks suggesting Thune was originally going to be rolled out as Romney’s running mate.

Favorability

If given a choice between Governor Susana
Martinez of New Mexico and Senator John Thune
of South Dakota for Mitt Romney's vice president,
who would you prefer?

National Republicans: July 25th, 2012
Susana Martinez: 36%
John Thune: 31%
Unsure: 33%

Current Polling

National: July 25th, 2012

Pres. BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA (D-IL): 323
Fmr. Gov. WILLARD MITT ROMNEY (R-MA): 191
(TOSS-UP: 24)

Florida: July 25th, 2012
Barack Obama: 48% (+1)
Mitt Romney: 44% (-1)

North Carolina: July 25th, 2012
Barack Obama: 46% (-1)
Mitt Romney: 44% (-1)

Ohio: July 25th, 2012
Mitt Romney: 43% (+1)

Virginia: July 25th, 2012
Mitt Romney: 43% (+2)

Barack Obama: 51%

New Mexico: July 18th, 2012
Gary Johnson: 5%

Colorado: July 13th, 2012
Barack Obama: 45%

Nevada: June 10th, 2012
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »

Interesting. Will this continue after 2012?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »

It will, yes. It'll continue in mostly real time up until this year's election. Then, in pretty quick succession, I'll spit out a few of the biggest news stories about what happened during the next presidential term.

Then we'll be on to 2016.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2012, 08:27:46 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

SENATOR THUNE “DISMAYED” AT ROMNEY CAMPAIGN
Thursday, July 26th, 2012

John Thune finally stopped to talk to CNN’s Dana Bash at the Capitol on Thursday.

John Thune continues to be elusive with reporters in Washington, but CNN’s Dana Bash was able to get a few quips from Thune over the state of the presidential race on Thursday. Thune has largely avoided the press in the wake of Romney campaign leaks alleging he was the initial running mate choice.

“I can’t confirm or deny what you’re hearing about me,” Thune said as he charged down a hallway at the Capitol. “Obviously it’s a sensitive subject.”

When pressured more, he stopped for a moment to offer the following: “The Romney folks can conduct themselves however they like. I plan on staying out of the way. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit dismayed about the way they’re going about their campaign. Sarah Palin won’t be steamrolled, and neither will I.”

Comments from Sarah Palin have already been used again Mitt Romney in ads from the Obama camp; there is no word yet if Thune’s comments will see the same fate. His remarks have already been interpreted as confirmation of the rumor that he was indeed the original choice for Romney’s number two.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 08:26:48 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2012, 08:48:11 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

ROMNEY SEES UPTICK IN WESTERN SUPPORT
Thursday, July 26th, 2012

Several PPP polls released this morning show a sharp jump in support for the Mitt Romney-Susana Martinez presidential ticket out West. While Romney has been disappointed by a substantial polling drop across the Rust Belt and Eastern Seaboard, the polls out of Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico come as welcome news to his struggling campaign.

Pundits are already speculating that Romney’s better showings in these states are direct results of Susana Martinez’s addition to the ticket.

According to the polls, Romney is leading by five points in Colorado, two points in Nevada, and one point in New Mexico. In 2008, then-candidate Obama defeated John McCain in Colorado by almost nine points, in Nevada by over twelve, and in New Mexico by fifteen.

Governors Martinez and Romney held a series of joint rallies in the West before Romney left for Europe on Tuesday.

Current Polling

Pres. BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA (D-IL): 312
Fmr. Gov. WILLARD MITT ROMNEY (R-MA): 200
(TOSS-UP: 26)

Colorado: July 26th, 2012
Barack Obama: 43% (-2)
Mitt Romney: 48% (+4)

Nevada: June 26th, 2012
Barack Obama: 45% (-3)
Mitt Romney: 47% (+5)

New Mexico: July 26th, 2012
Barack Obama: 46% (-3)
Mitt Romney: 47% (+3)
Gary Johnson: 4% (-1)

Florida: July 25th, 2012

North Carolina: July 25th, 2012

Ohio: July 25th, 2012
Mitt Romney: 43%

Virginia: July 25th, 2012
Mitt Romney: 43%

Barack Obama: 51%
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2012, 09:40:49 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2012, 02:15:15 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

MITT ROMNEY ATTENDS OPENING CEREMONY OF LONDON OLYMPICS
Friday, July 27th, 2012

The Tower Bridge, completed in 1894, has become a national symbol for the 2012 Olympic Games.

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney attended the opening ceremony of the London Olympics earlier this evening. Mitt Romney, who ran the 2002 Salt Lake City winter Olympics, expressed some concerns about the city’s readiness for the games this morning in an interview with a local newspaper. Although the comments have not been well-received by the British press, many American pundits have indicated their agreement with Romney’s comments.

In that same interview, Romney discussed his enthusiasm about the opening ceremonies and wished the city well during this international sporting event.

To capitalize on the games, the Romney campaign has released an Olympic-themed ad  touting the candidate’s successful turnaround of the Salt Lake Olympics. The spot shows images of the candidate with an Olympic torch, and features excerpts of his 2002 speech from the opening ceremonies.

Tonight’s opening ceremonies in London were widely watched across the world, but have already received mixed reviews. The ceremony featured the talents of Paul McCartney, Daniel Craig, Her Majesty the Queen, Rowan Atkinson, J.K. Rowling, and Kenneth Branagh.

Mitt Romney will head to Poland for the next leg of his trip tomorrow afternoon.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »

Romney is finally catching a break Tongue What a rough week for week.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2012, 09:46:22 PM »

Keep it coming Hagrid! Cheesy
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 10:12:06 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2012, 11:51:57 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

BREAKING: FATHER OF SUSANA MARTINEZ DIES IN TEXAS
Saturday, July 28th, 2012

Jake Martinez, father of vice presidential candidate Susana Martinez, congratulates his daughter after winning the
governorship of New Mexico in 2010. Jake Martinez suffered from Alzheimer’s disease.

Governor Susana Martinez rushed back to El Paso, Texas early this morning after receiving news that her father had taken seriously ill and was in hospital. Her father, Jake Martinez, passed away peacefully with family at his side before the governor was able to reach his sickbed. Details surrounding the death have not been made public. Martinez suffered from Alzheimer’s disease.

Before being tapped as Romney’s running mate, Governor Martinez had expressed some concern about moving her developmentally disabled sister (of whom she is the legal guardian) away from her father. Martinez maintained a close relationship with her father, and this news came as a major shock to her and the Romney campaign.

Mitt Romney called his running mate from England to convey his sympathies. In an interview with Sky News this morning, Romney expressed his regret at never having the chance to meet Jake Martinez.. “Susana spoke fondly of her dad, and I’m only sorry I never had the opportunity to meet her role model, friend, and personal hero. Susana can count on the full support of Ann and myself during this heartbreaking time.”

Romney has not made any plans to cut short his European tour. In spite of this devastating personal tragedy, members of Martinez’s staff have also suggested that the vice presidential candidate might, shockingly, continue with her schedule on Monday.

Martinez has been lauded for her tenacity and charisma on the campaign trail. Recent polls from Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico show the Republican ticket leading Barack Obama, thanks in large part to Martinez’s ability to connect to Westerners.

The loss of Martinez’s father has already led to calls for the Obama camp to take several ads attacking the governor off the airwaves. The Obama campaign has yet to comment.

Funeral arrangements have been tentatively set for next Friday.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »

Romney is finally catching a break Tongue What a rough week for week.

Thanks for reading, guys.

This is where Martinez starts becoming a real hero… for the time being. Wink
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 09:07:42 PM »

OBAMA TELLS CNN HE WILL NOT STOP MARTINEZ ATTACKS
Sunday, July 29th, 2012

Barack Obama told Candy Crowley he will continue to draw contrasts between himself and Republicans.

Barack Obama once again hit the Sunday airwaves this week to talk about the state of the presidential race. While President Obama discussed ranging topics on State of the Union with CNN’s Candy Crowley, his comments on the recent passing of Susana Martinez’s father have received much attention.

The President offered his condolences to the family of the deceased, but when pressed on the negative attacks his campaign has been launching against the GOP vice presidential candidate, Obama appeared less diplomatic.

“What happened is obviously a huge tragedy for Governor Martinez,” the president said, “but now is not the time to stop the conversation. The American people have serious questions about Governor Martinez as well as Governor Romney. Our campaign feels that we’ve got to draw these contrasts.”

Political pundits on both sides of the spectrum have decried the president for this stance. Martinez will continue campaigning on Monday.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 11:14:26 PM »

Dick move, Barry. Attack Mitt, his dad didn't just die.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 11:23:15 PM »

Dick move, Barry. Attack Mitt, his dad didn't just die.

Politics ain't bean bag.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies