Bye bye, Chairman Specter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:01:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Bye bye, Chairman Specter?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Bye bye, Chairman Specter?  (Read 26117 times)
BobOMac2k2

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2005, 03:02:42 PM »

Hes suppose to be there to find the best candidate...not the best conservative.

And if you dont think thats right, I stick to my guns.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2005, 03:35:48 PM »

Hes suppose to be there to find the best candidate...not the best conservative.

And if you dont think thats right, I stick to my guns.

And a conservative can't be the best candidate? Specter does whatever he wants. He cannot keep his word to those that made promises to. I'm embarrassed but not surprised.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2005, 03:41:16 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2005, 03:42:47 PM by BobOMac2k2 »

Then by all means he should pick them if the conservative was it.

But this man wanted THE best. Why can't you realize that. He had no intentions of going out of his way to pick a nonconservative just to piss off party leaders.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2005, 03:44:15 PM »

He had no intentions of going out of his way to pick a nonconservative just to piss off party leaders.

Thank you for proving that you know nothing about Arlen Specter. He probably had no intentions of picking a conservative and should have never made the promise to those that supported him. Why can't you realize that?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2005, 03:59:35 PM »

He had no intentions of going out of his way to pick a nonconservative just to piss off party leaders.

Thank you for proving that you know nothing about Arlen Specter. He probably had no intentions of picking a conservative and should have never made the promise to those that supported him. Why can't you realize that?

I'm not sure if he actually 'promised' to pick a conservatjive.  He could have promised to CONSIDER a Conservative & those on the right took that to mean he will automatically pick a conservative.  He could have had a conservative in mind, but for some reason it didn't work out (he felt the guy was too extreme, didn't like the interview) or whatever.  Bottom line is the best man got the job. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2005, 04:03:46 PM »

I'm not sure if he actually 'promised' to pick a conservatjive.  He could have promised to CONSIDER a Conservative & those on the right took that to mean he will automatically pick a conservative.  He could have had a conservative in mind, but for some reason it didn't work out (he felt the guy was too extreme, didn't like the interview) or whatever.  Bottom line is the best man got the job. 

He promised a conservative the position.

From http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=7659

Specter hired Kemerer to deal specifically with the nominations and vetting of federal judicial nominees, a position many conservatives were led to believe by Specter would go, at the very least, to a Republican, and most likely to a conservative.

Specter, according to a longtime conservative judicial observer, made those promises during a meeting in late 2004 at which Specter was pleading for an opportunity to serve as Judiciary Chairman.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2005, 04:24:30 PM »

Specter hired Kemerer to deal specifically with the nominations and vetting of federal judicial nominees, a position many conservatives were led to believe by Specter would go, at the very least, to a Republican, and most likely to a conservative.

Specter, according to a longtime conservative judicial observer, made those promises during a meeting in late 2004 at which Specter was pleading for an opportunity to serve as Judiciary Chairman.

The article says led to believe.  How do you know this guy didn't mis-understand Specter and took something like "I will most likely nominate a Republican" to mean "I am definatley nominating a Conservative".  Maybe Specter did make that promise, but maybe that promise was made before Kemerer was available, once Kemerer became available Specter changed his mind because the better candidate came about.  Bottom line he chose who he felt was the best candidate for the job.  Did he really make that promise??  Well maybe, but even if he did it doesn't mean that he purposley lied about it.  It could mean he simply changed his mind, it could be the person who he thought was the best candidate all along wasn't available when he made that promise and became available afterward, it could mean that the conservative he had in mind fell through for whatever reason. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2005, 04:29:38 PM »

The article says led to believe.  How do you know this guy didn't mis-understand Specter and took something like "I will most likely nominate a Republican" to mean "I am definatley nominating a Conservative".  Maybe Specter did make that promise, but maybe that promise was made before Kemerer was available, once Kemerer became available Specter changed his mind because the better candidate came about.  Bottom line he chose who he felt was the best candidate for the job.  Did he really make that promise??  Well maybe, but even if he did it doesn't mean that he purposley lied about it.  It could mean he simply changed his mind, it could be the person who he thought was the best candidate all along wasn't available when he made that promise and became available afterward, it could mean that the conservative he had in mind fell through for whatever reason. 

I'll state for about the tenth time that Specter is known for this stuff. He had to make promises to get the Chairman position. He made the promises and like usual he went back on what he said. Nothing new.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2005, 04:39:24 PM »

Keystone Phil- Did you support Specter over Hoeffel and Clymer in the last election?

He backed Specter Tongue

I was smart and backed Clymer. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2005, 04:45:42 PM »

Keystone Phil- Did you support Specter over Hoeffel and Clymer in the last election?

He backed Specter Tongue

I was smart and backed Clymer. 

I think NewFederalist knew the answer to that question before asking it and just wanted me to look bad.  Tongue

If the election was held today, I would vote for Clymer but wouldn't be thrilled with it. I always say that we shouldn't be surprised at this stuff that Specter is pulling and that we should have been ready for it. I even knew that during the campaign when I supported Specter. I was wrong for that. I'm just glad I didn't have to vote in this election.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2005, 04:57:57 PM »

You were, thankfully, not eligible in 2004 and you will probably not get another chance to vote for Specter!

Celebrate good times come on!

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2005, 05:48:57 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2005, 06:04:08 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I like Casey and wouldn't mind him as a U.S. Senator. He seems to be a good guy and I like conservative Democrats. However, I don't see him running for Senate ever. In 2010, I'm supporting the one...the only....PAT TOOMEY!
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2005, 09:13:13 PM »

Wh are the Democrats all claiming that Specter never promised to pick a conservative?  Why are they pretending that we just misunderstood all of Specter's campaign promises and promises to the caucus?

And where is Specter's biggest fan, htmldon, as the man from Philly sticks us in the back?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2005, 09:15:42 PM »

And where is Specter's biggest fan, htmldon, as the man from Philly sticks us in the back?

I have spoken to him privately about it but it's funny how he won't post his reponse to this on the forum. Tell us about how we needed that loyal Arlen again, Don!

This "man from Philly" supported Pat Toomey! And oh how we had to hear Mr. Specter say he was a better Republican than Pat Toomey and how he could prove it! Ha!
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2005, 01:03:08 PM »

This amazes me.  You guys want to lynch Specter because of a broken promise.  OMG, a politician who breaks a promise!?!  Wow ... we should burn him and his children.

"Read my lips, no new taxes."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2005, 01:09:34 PM »

This amazes me.  You guys want to lynch Specter because of a broken promise.  OMG, a politician who breaks a promise!?!  Wow ... we should burn him and his children.

And "Read my lips, no new taxes" was wrong. We cannot justify breaking promises because "every politician does it." Ever wonder why so many people distrust politicians? I was at lunch Friday at a local diner. A waitress heard my friend and me discussing politics. She started telling us how "they're [politicians] are all corrupt." See how a few corrupt people give even the good a bad reputation?

Specter broke the promise. Specter should be removed. The worst part is that everyone should have seen something like this happening.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2005, 02:03:37 AM »

And "Read my lips, no new taxes" was wrong. We cannot justify breaking promises because "every politician does it." Ever wonder why so many people distrust politicians? I was at lunch Friday at a local diner. A waitress heard my friend and me discussing politics. She started telling us how "they're [politicians] are all corrupt." See how a few corrupt people give even the good a bad reputation?

Specter broke the promise. Specter should be removed. The worst part is that everyone should have seen something like this happening.

Wait a second ... so what you're saying is that every politician who breaks a promise should be removed, is that correct?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2005, 02:04:49 AM »

Wait a second ... so what you're saying is that every politician who breaks a promise should be removed, is that correct?

Specter has consistently broken these promises and cannot be trusted with a role of leadership.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2005, 03:22:25 AM »

Specter is chairman SOLELY because he made this promise.  Since he broke it, he should be removed.  Had he told the truth, he'd never have gotten the job.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2005, 01:08:45 PM »

Specter has consistently broken these promises and cannot be trusted with a role of leadership.

You're avoiding the question.  It is a simple yes or no.  Should every politician who breaks a promise be removed from office?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2005, 01:18:04 PM »

You're avoiding the question.  It is a simple yes or no.  Should every politician who breaks a promise be removed from office?

If it's as consistent as Specter's promise breaking, yes they should be voted out of office and removed from the position they were elected to by their colleagues.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2005, 06:08:54 PM »

If it's as consistent as Specter's promise breaking, yes they should be voted out of office and removed from the position they were elected to by their colleagues.

Just out of curiousity, what other promises has Specter broken?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »

Just out of curiousity, what other promises has Specter broken?

He was going to work hard for the Bush-Cheney ticket here. Hardly did a thing. Funniest point: Not only did he pretty much totally ignore Bush-Cheney in PA, someone on his campaign made up "Kerry and Specter - Fighting for PA's working families" signs. Gotta love Arlen!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2005, 06:17:55 PM »

Here's Arlen Specter's campaign working hard for the President.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies