London 2012 Olympics Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:15:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  London 2012 Olympics Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24
Author Topic: London 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 53444 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: August 07, 2012, 06:25:58 AM »

She's bitter she only got silver? She's a sad individual.
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #376 on: August 07, 2012, 06:37:55 AM »

So sad for Liu (100m hurdles). Unlike in Beijing, he has reached the first barrier before falling down.

She did a very good first jump (she was in the lead by something like 0.5 points but then she totally got the second attempt wrong. First attempt score 15.866; second attempt 14.300. I guess she was pissed off because she probably performed that jump so badly just 5% of the times and it happened in the most important occasion.)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #377 on: August 07, 2012, 07:39:25 AM »

Brownlee's go 1/3 in the triathlon, as Britain marches on.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #378 on: August 07, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2012, 10:39:00 AM by I'm spinning a Platypus, get out of my way »

Women's water polo semi between Australia and the US coming down to the wire. US lead 9-8 with 100 seconds to go...

Edit: GOAL!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #379 on: August 07, 2012, 10:41:29 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2012, 11:00:05 AM by I'm spinning a Platypus, get out of my way »

After four quarters of awful referreeing, Australia finally get lucky and with 1 second left get a penalty... Southern scores... Here comes what should be some insane 6 minutes ahead.

Edit: poo.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #380 on: August 07, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »

She was the way overwhelming favorite. The commentators on NBC were even saying things like that the ones who went before her were probably scared of her knowing that she'd beat them so they weren't performing as well and how it was obvious that she was going to win.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #381 on: August 07, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »

Chief commisaire at the velodrome at risk of death after (correctly) relegating Victoria Pendleton from a 1/1000s win in the first heat of the sprint final for coming out of her line.

Heat two soonish, hopefully it'll be clean and Anna Meares wins, as she would have in the first heat if not obstructed. Shane Perkins also a medal chance.

The Opals look like they'll beat China, but it was tight for the first three quarters.

Good sailing day, extending our lead over the poms heading in to the medal race, both boats gauranteed of a silver in the 470s but Australia in prime position for gold.

Honourable loss in the water polo, looking good for bronze.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #382 on: August 07, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »

Go Anna! Gold for Anna Meares! Gold! GOLD at the velodrome! Go Anna!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #383 on: August 07, 2012, 11:54:27 AM »

The USA/Canada football match last night was hilariously violent. The spirit of Don Revie-era Leeds United lives or something.

Does the Don Revie era was including biaised referees?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #384 on: August 07, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »

She's also a 16-year-old girl, so, you know.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #385 on: August 07, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »

US vs. Italy in women's water polo. Who is Phil for?

Water polo is actually a pretty entertaining sport, unlike most that are so popular in the US (like what Americans call football.)

You're American, dude. It's called football because it is football.

Really football is a sport played by kicking around a ball. What Americans call football is a sport that primarily consists of throwing or carrying an object that isn't a ball.

No, football is a game played on foot (as opposed to a game played on horseback).

Lol, what craven AF apologist invented that false etymology? Football is a game in which playing the ball with your foot is allowed and an important aspect of play. (Note that even in Association Football, the ball is not played exclusively with the foot.) The parallel term "handball" is of roughly identical (late medieval) age.

The USA/Canada football match last night was hilariously violent. The spirit of Don Revie-era Leeds United lives or something.

Yeah it was, although I have to admit Alex Morgan, Hope Solo, Kaylyn Kyle, and Jonelle Filigno were pretty much the only reasons anyone watched.
Hmmm.... casual violence from the delectable Alex Morgan? Kinky. Got a softcore snuff videolink?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #386 on: August 07, 2012, 12:40:17 PM »

I support Drusille Ngako, Paul Ekane Edingue, Thomas Essomba, Serge Ambomo, Blaise Yepmou Mendouo, Abdon Mewoli and Christian Donfack Adjoufack.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #387 on: August 07, 2012, 12:46:06 PM »

The (just finished) Brazil/Russia womens volleyball match was a very good advert for the sport, as was the Japan/China match on earlier. Anyways, you know it's not your day when you fluff six match points in a set-based game and then lose.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #388 on: August 07, 2012, 12:47:32 PM »

Chief commisaire at the velodrome at risk of death after (correctly) relegating Victoria Pendleton from a 1/1000s win in the first heat of the sprint final for coming out of her line.

Her near consistent lack of discipline is pretty amusing.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #389 on: August 07, 2012, 02:27:47 PM »

Brownlee's go 1/3 in the triathlon, as Britain Yorkshire marches on.

Smiley Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #390 on: August 07, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2012, 02:42:54 PM by I'm spinning a Platypus, get out of my way »

We're up to 71 medalling countries, by the way. 80 should happen, 86/87 difficult.

The Felix/Richards-Ross/Fraser-Price/Campbell-Jones 200m final showdown will be interesting.

Looking forward to the 100m hurdles final. I don't particularly like overconfidence, but unlike James Magnussen, Pearson not only has the results to back her up, but hasn't been a media whore. She's confident, businesslike, maybe a dash too stony..but she's a champion, and she does what she needs to do to win. Which doesn't include bullying the letter T.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #391 on: August 07, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »

Canada apparently won a medal in High Jump, which has 5 medallists.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #392 on: August 07, 2012, 03:04:16 PM »

The rain comes down, and Sally Pearson wins gold by 0.02s. Phew! Go Sally Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #393 on: August 07, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »

Man, that soccer game yesterday sure was a heartbreaking match Sad Canada always brings their A game against the US in these major tournaments, but they've not won yet.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #394 on: August 07, 2012, 04:47:19 PM »

Man, that soccer game yesterday sure was a heartbreaking match Sad Canada always brings their A game against the US in these major tournaments, but they've not won yet.

riiiiiiiiggggggeeeeeeeeeeedddd
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #395 on: August 07, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »

Ironic that the winning US goal against "my country" was scored by the person who is, by far, my favourite player in modern women's soccer.
Foucaulf
« Reply #396 on: August 07, 2012, 04:58:01 PM »

So sad for Liu (100m hurdles). Unlike in Beijing, he has reached the first barrier before falling down.

My family is convinced Liu Xiang has been ordered to take the fall if he can't win the gold medal, which, in China, isn't that far-fetched. I don't really believe it, but he'll keep his sponsorships for another year this way.

Speaking of China, here's a Graun article on China's claims of conspiracy. This does not mention Chen Yibing's silver medal in the Men's Rings final; the Chinese media is in full force, even dialing up Bulgarian gymnasts to support their claim.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #397 on: August 07, 2012, 05:00:55 PM »

Hash, I didn't know you went to uOttawa! That was my second choice behind Queen's. Starting third year, and I'm still not sure if I made the right choice haha. The French immsersion coulda been useful.

I actually applied to Queen's as a distant third choice, but never considered it after both Ottawa and Karleton accepted me. Two years down, I'm confident I made the right choice because, despite Kingston being a beautiful and exceptional city, I know I wouldn't have had the opportunities in my field of study (polisci) I've had if I had been in some small town like Kingston rather than the NCR. And uOttawa is a good university regardless.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #398 on: August 07, 2012, 05:37:11 PM »

Gee wasn't expecting Dalhauser/Rogers to crash out of the beach volleyball. Who's gonna win it now? My gut says the other US pairing.

That surprised me as well. It was really close in that second set and they were tied at 19.

If I heard it right (I wasn't paying attention unfortunately), Gibbs and Rosenthal were eliminated last night, losing to an Austrian team I think.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #399 on: August 07, 2012, 05:39:39 PM »

Gee wasn't expecting Dalhauser/Rogers to crash out of the beach volleyball. Who's gonna win it now? My gut says the other US pairing.

That surprised me as well. It was really close in that second set and they were tied at 19.

If I heard it right (I wasn't paying attention unfortunately), Gibbs and Rosenthal were eliminated last night, losing to an Austrian team I think.
Bummer for American mens team, but on the bright side you have the gold and silver in the womens game. Pretty good in one of the few sports in which the women's version is more popular.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies