MI-11: Thaddeus McCotter to resign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:13:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-11: Thaddeus McCotter to resign
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MI-11: Thaddeus McCotter to resign  (Read 4227 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »

Today I have resigned from the office of United States Representative for Michigan's 11th Congressional District. After nearly 26 years in elected office, this past nightmarish month and a half have, for the first time, severed the necessary harmony between the needs of my constituency and of my family. As this harmony is required to serve, its absence requires I leave. The recent event's totality of calumnies, indignities and deceits have weighed most heavily upon my family. Thus, acutely aware one cannot rebuild their hearth of home amongst the ruins of their U.S. House office, for the sake of my loved ones I must 'strike another match, go start anew' by embracing the promotion back from public servant to sovereign citizen.

WTF?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »

Strangest downfall ever?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:29:08 PM »

...Scandal, maybe?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 05:33:01 PM »

Maybe he's getting an early start on his TV Show:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »

Brilliant.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 06:01:45 PM »

And, in typical McCotter style, his press release is just as strange as the scandal:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 08:15:53 PM »

Did Thaddeus McCotter just have a nervous breakdown for a year or something? Because that's the only way I can understand his behavior, what with the weird presidential campaign, the not-even-trying re-election campaign, and now this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:17:54 PM »

He's a crack addict.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »

Did Thaddeus McCotter just have a nervous breakdown for a year or something? Because that's the only way I can understand his behavior, what with the weird presidential campaign, the not-even-trying re-election campaign, and now this.

Best he gets out of Congress before posing in a Tigger suit. Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 12:26:24 AM »

He won't be on the ballot, so he's decided to go out with a bang.  For some reason I really like this guy.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »

So who is going to be on the ballot instead? I hear weird rumors about the (de facto) Republican candidate, but haven't heard much else.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 04:09:06 AM »

So who is going to be on the ballot instead? I hear weird rumors about the (de facto) Republican candidate, but haven't heard much else.
There is only one Republican on the primary ballot, and he's a crazy, but there's a write-in campaign supported by all the powers that be. Write-in for the primary, that is - if they win their candidate will be on the ballot (and win) in november.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 08:28:20 AM »

There is only one Republican on the primary ballot, and he's a crazy, but there's a write-in campaign supported by all the powers that be. Write-in for the primary, that is - if they win their candidate will be on the ballot (and win) in november.

By the Democrats as well? Don't they have their own candidate who could possibly win?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »

By the Democrats as well? Don't they have their own candidate who could possibly win?
The Powers That Be are Republican. Kiss

This race is (probably) over once the primary ends with a write-in win. How certain that is, I dunno, but I guess. Basically, an "keep an eye on but assume R hold" type of seat.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »

The Powers That Be are Republican. Kiss

This race is (probably) over once the primary ends with a write-in win. How certain that is, I dunno, but I guess. Basically, an "keep an eye on but assume R hold" type of seat.

Ah, I see; so who's the most likely candidate for a write-in campaign? I checked, and it seems that the Democrats have an honest-to-goodness/terribleness LaRouchite named Bill Roberts and a random doctor named Syed Taj running, so it doesn't seem they have a chance.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »

One of my friends lives in his district, which is right south of mine. A sad day for freedom.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »

The only Republican on the ballot is a Vietnam veteran/Ron Paul supporter.  Naturally I hope he wins, ha ha. Not sure how likely that is, given the establishment seems to be supporting  a write in. But then write in's are pretty hard to accomplish, with rare exceptions.

Either republican should easily win though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »

There is an earlier thread, you know. Nancy Cassis is the name of the establishment candidate.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 11:10:05 AM »

I wish Congressman McCotter luck with the...issues...he's facing.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »

did he steal 'Age of Extremes' from Eric Hobsbawm?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »

There is an earlier thread, you know. Nancy Cassis is the name of the establishment candidate.

I wouldn't call her establishment.  Her support for the MBT made her fairly disliked in the party.  But she's not a wacky Paulite, so that helps her.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »

The libertarian-leaning candidate, Kerry Bentivolio, (backed by one of the Ron Paul superPACs) beat out "establishment" candidate Nancy Cassis.  Although Cassis supported the Michigan Business Tax, which was HATED by Republicans (and subsequently so was she), so the fact that the big names in the party supported her really says something about Bentivolio.  She was running a write-in campaign that nobody thought she'd win, especially after Paul's people poured money in.

So, now we have a guy who's a bit wacky (and might be a truther - there's some question there) representing the GOP in this election.  We could actually lose this now.

And today, the AG's office released the report on McCotter's signatures... it's pretty bad: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ag/08.09.12_AG_Investigators_Report_and_Chart_394714_7.pdf
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 10:46:35 AM »

You think that Bentivolio has a chance? Coverage of the race has implied that this district is now Likely-D.

The district is pretty safely Republican. Bentivolio received more votes in the primary than both the Democrat challengers combined, and his opponent is basically a sacrificial lamb who speaks with a thick accent. Factor in the fact that the LFA PAC is happy to sink a couple million bucks into his race if it ever gets close and I'd say the odds of him losing are about a trillion to one.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 11:03:59 AM »

When we sum this all up, Thad McCotter is easily the greatest joke of the year of 2012.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 11:17:07 AM »

I am sure YAL PAC will throw some money his way.

And Inks where did you hear that he could be a truther? If it was from a GOPer who supported the other person I'd doubt there is any evidence to support it. Falsely labeling a candidate a truther is one of the reasons Texans are still forced to pay for Perry's rental Mansion. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies