Is Mitt Romney the Bill Clinton of the right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:48:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is Mitt Romney the Bill Clinton of the right?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is Mitt Romney the Bill Clinton of the right?  (Read 4813 times)
Indy Prez
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 05:21:39 PM »

Are there any sex scandals and other examples of marital infidelity regarding Mitt Romney that we haven't heard about, yet? 

No. That's why he's the Clinton of the right. Right-wingers wear funny Mormon underwear or are insecure about their dicks or something.

I get the parallel though, OP. he sneaks up on a popular president expected to win big on foreign policy successes then trounces him come the general, flip flops i office to gain bipartisan support.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 06:29:14 PM »

No, Bill Clinton is a leader and a man of integrity.  There should be no comparison.

"A man of integrity"? The guy had an affair while in office and then lied about it under oath and Mitt Romney can't compare to him because of his integrity?  Huh

Integrity is a wide term, not limited for private affairs.

Yeah, it means adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty. And this is used to describe... Bill Clinton of all people. Really? Really? Roll Eyes

What goes on in a politician's personal life bears no relevance to me.  And besides, Ken Starr's investigation of the scandal was far more unethical and deceptive than anything Clinton's ever said.

It may not matter to you, but it does to most Americans.  This isn't France.  What most foreigners (and quite a few American liberals, apparently) don't understand, is that in America, when you become a public official (especially as a Congressman or as the President of the United States) your life instantly comes under greater scrutiny.  You bear a greater responsibility to uphold your office in every aspect including your private life because we as citizens have higher expectations of you since you are representing us.  How you conduct your private affairs reflect on your public role.  There no line of separation between the two.  When you fall short, the consequences are that much greater.  

No it doesn't.  It only matters to right-wing media pundits who are still trying to turn it into the next Watergate.  It didn't work then, it isn't working now, and public opinion polls indicate that the public has apparently forgiven the incident.  When you're elected to public office, your responsibilities are merely to represent and govern efficiently.  Being a faithful husband is completely independent and irrelevant to those.

I don't know Scott, the fact that Clinton's affair was with an intern adds a creepy and highly inappropriate dynamic that I'm not comfortable with, and it certainly lowers my opinion of Clinton somewhat... not that it would have been especially high otherwise - I'll concede to thinking Clinton's the most overrated President in the last hundred years or so. Tongue

But once again, none of Clinton's personal affairs had any impact on the way he governed, creepy as it may have been.  And when you compare it to the repulsive, dishonest ways everything was investigated and the very hypocrites who persecuted him for it, the scandal doesn't even measure up... at all.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »

Clinton won more than one general election?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »

Clinton won more than one general election?

Seventeen, actually.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 09:10:12 AM »

17? Are you counting his AR career?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2012, 09:17:26 AM »

Arkansas Attorney General (1976), Governor of Arkansas (1978, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1990), President of the United States (1992, 1996)

It's 8. Good, but nothing close to 17.

Lost general elections: 2 (House of Representatives in 1974, Governor in 1980).
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »

But once again, none of Clinton's personal affairs had any impact on the way he governed, creepy as it may have been.  And when you compare it to the repulsive, dishonest ways everything was investigated and the very hypocrites who persecuted him for it, the scandal doesn't even measure up... at all.

I don't think it matters that the affair was unfairly investigated or that it didn't affect the way he governed it still doesn't change the fact that Clinton was not a man of integrity. The result I get when typing in "definition of integrity" into google is this: "The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.". Someone who had an affair with an intern behind his wife's back and then lied about it is clearly not one of those.

It may not matter to you that he had an affair, but that doesn't change the fact that it was not an honest or a moral thing to do, so by definition someone who did it lacks integrity.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2012, 10:38:21 AM by Senator Scott »

But once again, none of Clinton's personal affairs had any impact on the way he governed, creepy as it may have been.  And when you compare it to the repulsive, dishonest ways everything was investigated and the very hypocrites who persecuted him for it, the scandal doesn't even measure up... at all.

I don't think it matters that the affair was unfairly investigated or that it didn't affect the way he governed it still doesn't change the fact that Clinton was not a man of integrity. The result I get when typing in "definition of integrity" into google is this: "The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.". Someone who had an affair with an intern behind his wife's back and then lied about it is clearly not one of those.

It may not matter to you that he had an affair, but that doesn't change the fact that it was not an honest or a moral thing to do, so by definition someone who did it lacks integrity.

Okay, he was merely a "president of integrity." Roll Eyes  I love these implications that I meant to say he is without flaw.

But honestly, I don't see how helping children combat obesity and integrating health care systems around the world doesn't make someone a person of integrity, especially since the scandal happened fourteen years ago.  That doesn't justify the incident itself, but he's done far more good for world than he's given credit for, a lot.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »

Okay, he was merely a "president of integrity." Roll Eyes  I love these implications that I meant to say he is without flaw.

No one is saying that.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When you talk about him being a man of integrity you are talking about the man as a whole not just his public life. I'm not going to say Clinton was a bad president from a policy point of view, he clearly did a lot of good things but his policies don't change who he was as a person, and as a person to do what he did clearly lack integrity. Also when the scandal happened is irrelevant.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would agree that with regards to his presidency the affair shouldn't be nearly as important as his actual policies but I don't think you'll see many people being excessively harsh to Clinton.

hopper
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »

I was thinking of this today and yesterday-Dem's didn't feel good about Clinton in 1992 when he was running for President in the Dem Primary. The Dem Base was more for Paul Tsongas at first than for Jerry Brown or Clinton at the time I believe. Likewise the Republicans Base in 2012 was shaky about Romney-I mean the R Base checked out Bachmann, Perry, Gingrich, and Santorum and didn't like them better than Romney. Clinton's unfavorable's were similar to Romney's during both parties Presidential Primaries.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies