Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:15:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should Romney pick as his running mate?
Kelly Ayotte

Richard Burr

Jeb Bush

Chris Christie

Mitch Daniels

Nikki Haley

Mike Huckabee

Bobby Jindal

Susana Martinez

Bob McDonnell

Rand Paul

Tim Pawlenty

Rob Portman

Cathy McMorris Rodgers

Paul Ryan

Rick Santorum

John Thune

Pat Toomey

someone else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 119

Author Topic: Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread  (Read 41447 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 26, 2012, 12:38:56 AM »

Romney definitely should not pick another governor.  He can't afford to have his own record as governor of Massachusetts become subject to comparison with his running mate's record.  It'll either make Romney look weak or stupid depending on whether his running mate had a better or worse record as governor.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 12:34:19 PM »

At this point, I doubt that Romney will announce a choice until mid-July at the earliest.  The principal motivation for announcing early would be to get the running mate on the stump to do fund-raising, but that doesn't look to be a problem for either party this year.  I think Romney is going to wait to allow the decision on Obamacare to percolate thru the public consciousness a couple weeks so that the announcement of a running mate doesn't overlap with that.  Plus, the outcome of that decision could conceivably affect the choice of a running mate depending on how it affects te campaign narriative.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »

I maintain that Burr is an excellent pick.  He's Southern but not Haley Barbour Southern; he's from a swing state; conservative but not Jim DeMint crazy; he's won multiple elections; and he's scandal free.

He's not an excellent pick, tho I don't think there is an excellent pick that would be a game-changer for the Mittbot.  Burr would be a safe pick, which is why I am surprised he doesn't get more press.  Mitt likes to play it safe.  He only leaves his comfort zone if he feels the need.  Right now he doesn't feel the need to take risks, which is probably one reason The Mitt won't call out The Donald for being an idiot.  If the June jobs report is similar to May's, the chances Romney makes a safe boring pick go up.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »

He's not an excellent pick, tho I don't think there is an excellent pick that would be a game-changer for the Mittbot.  Burr would be a safe pick, which is why I am surprised he doesn't get more press.  Mitt likes to play it safe.  He only leaves his comfort zone if he feels the need.  Right now he doesn't feel the need to take risks, which is probably one reason The Mitt won't call out The Donald for being an idiot.  If the June jobs report is similar to May's, the chances Romney makes a safe boring pick go up.
Game changers List: Rubio, Ryan, (Christie) end of list.  

When I mentioned game-changers I was thinking of people who would help Romney, not people who would end up helping Obama overall. Ryan and Christie would definitely hurt Romney.  Rubio is meh.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:24:12 PM »

What if Romney uncharacteristically decides to pull a 1956 Stevenson-lite?  Let's say Romney decides after all his vetting that there are two or three people remaining from his short list and that he has no obvious preference between them.  Submitting his his picks to the convention for them to decide would certainly create some buzz for the boring ritual that conventions are these days.

So if Romney submits say Portman, Ryan, and Jindal to the convention, who do you think wins?  Does it go past a first ballot?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »

Romney needs someone straight-forward and unafraid to challenge people to their face - a counter balance to Romney's aloof, "no comment" style. Christie comes to mind, despite inexperience.

In these days of SuperPACs supersaturating the airwaves with with attack ads, the benefits of picking a running mate to be the attack dog of the ticket are minimal.  Being seen as Presidential is far more important, and Christie doesn't project that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies