Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:50:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Poll
Question: Who should Romney pick as his running mate?
Kelly Ayotte

Richard Burr

Jeb Bush

Chris Christie

Mitch Daniels

Nikki Haley

Mike Huckabee

Bobby Jindal

Susana Martinez

Bob McDonnell

Rand Paul

Tim Pawlenty

Rob Portman

Cathy McMorris Rodgers

Paul Ryan

Rick Santorum

John Thune

Pat Toomey

someone else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 119

Author Topic: Romney VP search: free-floating speculation and wish list thread  (Read 41586 times)
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2012, 07:45:34 PM »

John Kerry lost an election because of accusations of hypocrisy that were arguably not true. What makes you think that accusing a Massachusetts politician of hypocrisy that manifestly is in fact a thing would go any better for the target?
Mitt Romney hasn't flipped on national health care at all (he implemented a state plan) and John Kerry appearing to be incoherent/Biden-ish crazy was the real issue behind "flip flopping."  Your comparison fails in my opinion.   
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2012, 07:49:26 PM »

Chris Christie being the counterpart to Joe Biden (a way in which I hadn't thought about it) is wildly amusing to me. That could make for an absolutely glorious debate. In reality, his best bet is probably to pick someone much more forgettable than he is.
milhouse24
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2012, 11:44:49 PM »

Gary Johnson may be a huge threat for Romney winning mountain states. 

Do you think Romney would ever consider putting Johnson as his VP?

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2012, 04:56:20 AM »

John Kerry lost an election because of accusations of hypocrisy that were arguably not true. What makes you think that accusing a Massachusetts politician of hypocrisy that manifestly is in fact a thing would go any better for the target?
Mitt Romney hasn't flipped on national health care at all (he implemented a state plan)
Which is a distinction most Americans won't notice.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mitt Romney also appears to be pretty incoherent/out-of-touch.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2012, 06:04:58 AM »

Portman's association with Bush makes this election about Bush...imagine the line from Obama and Biden when attacked over the deficit..."Romney's running mate was the budget director who presided over many deficits"

Portman won't work, folks...

I agree with all of this, all indications so far are Romney is running on the economy and the debt, so picking someone as to blame for it as Portman is, is just asking for trouble.

I could almost understand it if Portman was charismatic or very popular but he's just some guy in a suit to most people, when the most interesting thing I can think about to do with Portman is he looks a bit like Alan Hansen, there's nothing interesting (or to put it another way: vote winning) about him . Really, I have no idea why anyone thinks Portman should be anywhere the top of Romney's VP list.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2012, 12:13:11 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2012, 01:54:30 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

My pick is John Thune.  I'm glad you didn't include Marco Rubio, despite the broken-record speculation.  He doesn't want it, and even if he did, he isn't ready for it.  That's the problem for most of these guys: people are trying to pick them before they're ripe.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2012, 03:04:16 PM »

3)  John Kerry lost an election because of accusations of hypocrisy that were arguably not true. What makes you think that accusing a Massachusetts politician of hypocrisy that manifestly is in fact a thing would go any better for the target?
Mitt Romney hasn't flipped on national health care at all (he implemented a state plan)
1) Which is a distinction most Americans won't notice.
2)  Mitt Romney also appears to be pretty incoherent/out-of-touch.

1) The issue is noticeable.  Romney has campaigned on the issue of repeal for 2 years now.  Nobody cares about what happened in Massachusetts 10 years ago.  All bringing it up does, is make him look centrist and reasonable.   

2) I don't know what you mean by "appears" exactly, but he obviously isn't incoherent and he is less "out-of-touch" than Obama is or Kerry was/is.   

3) I think it is interesting how leftist-ish democrats always come up with simple/wrongheaded excuses (usually involving some supposed republican dirty trick) as to why they lost an election.  Kerry didn't lose because of "flip-flopping" and Dukakis didn't lose because of "Willie Horton."  They can never accept that they were wrong on dozens of important policy positions and america correctly rejected them on their merit, so they invent folklore.       
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »

3)  John Kerry lost an election because of accusations of hypocrisy that were arguably not true. What makes you think that accusing a Massachusetts politician of hypocrisy that manifestly is in fact a thing would go any better for the target?
1) Which is a distinction most Americans won't notice.
2)  Mitt Romney also appears to be pretty incoherent/out-of-touch.

1) The issue is noticeable.  Romney has campaigned on the issue of repeal for 2 years now.  Nobody cares about what happened in Massachusetts 10 years ago.  All bringing it up does, is make him look centrist and reasonable.   

2) I don't know what you mean by "appears" exactly, but he obviously isn't incoherent and he is less "out-of-touch" than Obama is or Kerry was/is.   

3) I think it is interesting how leftist-ish democrats always come up with simple/wrongheaded excuses (usually involving some supposed republican dirty trick) as to why they lost an election.  Kerry didn't lose because of "flip-flopping" and Dukakis didn't lose because of "Willie Horton."  They can never accept that they were wrong on dozens of important policy positions and america correctly rejected them on their merit, so they invent folklore.       
I would argue that presidential candidates lose when they run as hard ideologues (e.g. Gore and Kerry as hard liberals and Goldwater as a hard conservative) and win when they campaign as centrists.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2012, 10:22:47 PM »

Since it may be possible to have Romney select his VP as soon as after July 4 it may be a good idea to start predicting now.

My prediction? Paul Ryan.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2012, 10:26:12 PM »

We've already got one!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2012, 12:55:21 AM »

Reserving spot on first page, likely to edit several times...

Kelly Ayotte

Also, no way its this week - Americans won't be paying too much attention to the news.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2012, 01:09:30 AM »

Reserving spot on first page, likely to edit several times...

Kelly Ayotte

Also, no way its this week - Americans won't be paying too much attention to the news.

I decided to post it just to prevent surprises. Mine may change too.
kenyanobama
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.52, S: 9.48

« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2012, 06:43:24 AM »

He should pick Gohmert. His impeachment plans against Kagan and his bold conservative leadership will only help Romney by energizing the base.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2012, 06:48:51 AM »

He should pick Gohmert. His impeachment plans against Kagan and his bold conservative leadership will only help Romney by energizing the base.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2012, 09:06:35 AM »

Gohmert would also help Romney burnish his credentials on national security, with his strong leadership in the fight against terror babies.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »

Alienating independents has worked so well in the past, hasn't it?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2012, 07:24:51 PM »

My prediction is still Paul Ryan.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2012, 07:31:02 PM »

kenyanobama
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2012, 07:38:38 PM »

Romney doesn't have a problem with independents, he has a problem with the base.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2012, 07:45:19 PM »

I hope Romney doesn't pick Ryan, because it would be amusing if he's Rand Paul's running mate in 2016 or 2020....Paul/Ryan. Tongue
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »

Romney doesn't have a problem with independents, he has a problem with the base.

It's not like the base is going to vote for Obama.
kenyanobama
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »

No sh*t! No one is going to vote for the Obumbler, but they may stay home or vote 3rd party. That's why I say to pick a true conservative for VP: Palin, Gohmert, Bachmann, or - as a dark horse - Mo Brooks.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2012, 10:21:52 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2012, 10:28:36 PM by Nathan »

What 'leadership'? Gohmert is as much a 'leader' as I am. He's a mentally unhinged backbencher.

[/quote]

Actually he has a problem with both, but whatever. He'll certainly have more of a problem with independents than he already does if he picks Louie Gohmert as a running mate.

No sh*t! No one is going to vote for the Obumbler, but they may stay home or vote 3rd party. That's why I say to pick a true conservative for VP: Palin, Gohmert, Bachmann, or - as a dark horse - Mo Brooks.
[/quote]

All of those people are completely off the reservation. Good luck giving President Obama a second term, though.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2012, 11:01:53 PM »

All of those people are completely off the reservation. Good luck giving President Obama a second term, though.

I agree, but you have to admit Joe Biden is insane and has been wrong on every foreign policy matter for over 30 years.  He even got the bin laden call wrong!  Him and 3 other people in the country are that stupid. 
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2012, 11:48:47 PM »

This is my new favorite nickname. "The Obumbler". Sounds like some sort of Dr. Seuss character.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies