Bill For the Planning a Financing of Mag/Lev Reaserch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:45:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Bill For the Planning a Financing of Mag/Lev Reaserch (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bill For the Planning a Financing of Mag/Lev Reaserch  (Read 7195 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: January 17, 2005, 01:40:45 AM »
« edited: January 17, 2005, 01:45:53 AM by Senator Supersoulty »

This was originally my idea, but I credit my predecesor Sen. Flyers2005/IrishDem/BacardiLimon with the acctual writing of this bill:

Mag-lev trains

1.  Atlasia shall invest in funding for research for Mag-Lev trains of $100 million over the next 20 years

2.  These trains are needed in the following Atlasia corridors. 

a.  Houlton,ME (Canadian Border)-Bangor-Portland-Portsmouth-Boston-Providence-Hartford-New Haven-New York-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Washington,DC-Richmond-Raleigh-Charleston-Savannah-Jacksonville-Daytona Beach-Miami (roughly I-95)

1. Spur to East Stroudsburg,PA
             2. Spur to Atlantic City, NJ
             3.  Spur to Orlando-Tampa, FL from Daytona Beach

b(main).  New York-Cleveland-Chicago-Des Moines-Omaha-Denver-Salt Lake City-Reno-San Francisco (roughly I-80)

1. Spur to Detroit, MI

b1.  Cleveland-Erie-Buffalo-Syracuse-Albany-Boston (I-90)

b2. Chicago-Milwaukee-Maidson-Minneapolis-Fargo-Bismarck-Missoula-Spokane-Seattle (I-90/94) 

c.  Candian border-Seattle-Portland-San Francisco-Los Angeles-San Diego-Mexican border (I-5)

d. San Diego-Phoenix-El Paso-San Antonio-Houston-New Orleans-Mobile-Tallahassee-Jacksonville (I-10)

e. Mexican border-San Anontio-Austin-Dallas-Oklahoma City-Kansas City-Des Moines-Minneapolis-Duluth (I-35)

3.  Clause 2 shall be the top prorities.  We hope to get these in effect by 2030.  More corridors may come later
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 01:44:05 AM »

Mag/Lev technology already exists and the construction of spur lines has already been undertaken in Japan and Europe.

These trains are very fast and very safe, because they harness the power of electromagnetic rails to propel themselves along.  They are far less polluting than both airline and automobile travel and could be used, not only to haul passengers, but also valuable cargo, safely and efficiently, from one city to another.

I urge all Senators to take serious consideration of this possibility for the future of Atlasia.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 04:05:55 PM »

Building a road of any type along South Carolina coast is rather impractical because of the considerable about of wetlands that would be impacted.  That's why I-95 is so far inland.  I'd suggest Raleigh-Columbia-Savannah instead of Raleigh-Charleston-Savannah.

I also doubt that transcontinental mag-levs will prove useful.  Over long distances there are other forms of transport that are either cheaper or faster.  Mag-lev has potential as a medium range transport where the hassles of plane travel make it competeive.

Point taken about South Carolina, but if we are going to have medium range may levs, they, almost by definition, have to be transcontinental.  If we are goin to connect Cleveland to Chicago, then we should connect Chicago to Minneapolis, and Minneapolis to Bismark and Bismark to Boise... and so on.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 07:22:04 PM »

It looks good.

The allotted money is just for research, right, it doesn't allott anything for actually building the railroad and trains at this point?

Correct.  Most of the research is already completed, but I think it would be a good idea for us to build a spur line, say from New York to Washington D.C., just to see if it is fesable.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 09:23:22 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2005, 09:25:32 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

This version of the bill was given to me by Jake.  I will submit it for the approval of my fellow Senators.

Magnetic Levitation (Mag/Lev) Research Bill

Atlasia recognizes the potential of Magnetic Levitation technology if applied to transportation.  Already, competitors overseas have developed high speed transportation utilizing this technology.  Atlasia can not afford to fall behind in this rapidly expanding industry. Because of this, the following steps will be taken.

1) Atlasia shall invest in funding for research for Mag-Lev trains of $100 million over the next 20 years.

2) Atlasia will then work with private corporations and contractors to construct regional Mag/Lev transportation lines in the following regions.

a) A line will be constructed extending from Boston-New York City-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Washington D.C.

b) A line will be constucted extending from Buffalo-Erie-Cleveland-Toledo-Chicago-Milwaukee , with spurs extending south

from Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinatti and from Toledo-Detroit.

c) A line will be constructed extending from Seattle-Portland-San Francisco-Sacramento-Los Angeles-San Diego-Phoenix, with spurs extending from Phoenix-Grand Canyon-Las Vegas and from San Francisco-Reno/Lake Tahoe.

d) A line will be constructed extending from New York City-Washington D.C.-Orlando which will be used as an express, direct route to Central Florida. The use of automobile transporting train cars will be encouraged.

3) Clause 2 shall be implemented by 2030.

4) No monies shall be appropiated from the Treasury of Atlasia for the purpose of constructing these lines.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 09:33:46 PM »

I do not see a SINGLE STOP in the Midwest in that bill.

Milwaukee?  Chicago?

Are they not in the Midwest?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 09:35:02 PM »

For that matter, Ohio is well represented.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 09:46:04 PM »

Atlasia recognizes the potential of Magnetic Levitation technology if applied to transportation.  Already, competitors overseas have developed high speed transportation utilizing this technology.  Atlasia can not afford to fall behind in this rapidly expanding industry. Because of this, the following steps will be taken.

1) Atlasia shall invest in funding for research for Mag-Lev trains of $100 million over the next 20 years.

2) Atlasia will then work with private corporations and contractors to construct regional Mag/Lev transportation lines in the following regions.

a) A line will be constructed extending from Boston-New York City-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Washington D.C.

b) A line will be constucted extending from Buffalo-Erie-Cleveland-Toledo-Chicago-Milwaukee-Minneapolis , with spurs extending south

from Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinatti, Erie-Pittsburgh and from Toledo-Detroit.

c) A line will be constructed extending from Seattle-Portland-San Francisco-Sacramento-Los Angeles-San Diego-Phoenix, with spurs extending from Phoenix-Grand Canyon-Las Vegas and from San Francisco-Reno/Lake Tahoe.

d) A line will be constructed extending from New York City-Washington D.C.-Orlando which will be used as an express, direct route to Central Florida. The use of automobile transporting train cars will be encouraged.

4) No monies shall be appropiated from the Treasury of Atlasia for the purpose of constructing these lines.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 10:03:20 PM »

a) A line will be constructed extending from Boston-New York City-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Washington D.C.-Richmond-Raleigh-Charlotte-Atlanta

b) A line will be constucted extending from Buffalo-Erie-Cleveland-Toledo-Chicago-Milwaukee-Minneapolis , with spurs extending south

e) A line will be constructed in Texas.  All lines will intersect in Austin, from which point there will be one line to Dallas, one line to Houston and one line to San Antonio.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you placated now, Governor?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 10:08:10 PM »

Don't placate him.  Of these lines, only the Texas line is profitable enough, and I already mentioned their highway system that is planned.  The Southern line and the Minneanapolis stop are wasteful and unprofitable.

Also, "all lines will intersect at Austin"-Do you mean all four other lines, or the spurs to SanAn, Houston, and Dallas?

Meaing that Austin will be the intersection, and from there, one spur will go to each city.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 10:12:34 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2005, 11:20:34 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

I'm changing the bill once again.  The Richmond and Charlotte stations will be eliminated.

a) A line will be constructed extending from Boston-New York City-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Washington D.C.-Raleigh-Atlanta

d) A line will be constructed extending from New York City-Nyman-Orlando which will be used as an express, direct route to Central Florida. The use of automobile transporting train cars will be encouraged.

e) A line will be constructed in Texas.  All lines will intersect in Austin, from which point there will be one line to Dallas, one line to Houston and one line to San Antonio.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 10:14:32 PM »

Keep in mind that these lines are best used, as Jake said, in place of planes and for express travel.  Therefore, until we can get people to use the lines, planning a massive net wrok will not be profitable.  Especially when you take into account the possible advances in air-travel.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 10:16:37 PM »

NE: 5.444(4444...) people/stop
SE: 22 people/stop (1 stop!  and that's just for New Englanders who want Disney vacations)
ME: 2.875 people/stop
MW: 15 people/stop (1 stop)
W: 2.2 people/stop

At this point, I would ask the governor to shut-up.  His point has been made, and I refuse to listen further.

Also, we are going by acctual population figures, not Atlasian voters.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 10:50:54 PM »

Can debate on this bill begin now, JFK?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 11:21:12 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2005, 11:24:00 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

Thank you.  The change has been made.

a) A line will be constructed extending from Boston-New York City-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Nyman-Raleigh-Atlanta

d) A line will be constructed extending from New York City-Nyman-Orlando which will be used as an express, direct route to Central Florida. The use of automobile transporting train cars will be encouraged.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 03:06:19 PM »

Thank you, Senator.

I would just like to address some of the comments and concerns of my fellow collegues.

First of, I thank Hugh for his work on a detailed plan.  There were several things that he did not understand, however.  I had to explain to him that the real Unitied States does not have a functioning rail system.  Quite an oddity to the rest of the world, I am sure, but it is a reallit here.  Thus, certain parts ohis plan needed to be revised.

First off, I feel that a Toledo station is needed and profitable, not only as a link to Detriot, but also due to the close proximity of that city to Sandusky, Ohio, which is the location of Cedar Point, the, so-called, greatest theme park in the world.

Second, I do not support a plan that links every small city in the country.  We do need a measure of scope here.  A rail system linking every city just isn't practical at this time.  And would probably be highly unprofitable.

Third, this does not, however, mean, as some Senators have suggested, that we need to limit our selves to an East Coast system.  Though most of the stations our concentrated there, because that is the area that has the largest potential for profit.  At some point, we need to move inland, though a transcontinental system is, admittedly, as ways off.

Fourth, in defiance of logic, many have suggestes that we only need a few stations, as the trains are only a replacement for medium range travel.  Therefore, they contend that we don't need stations in some places, because no one will want to go from Buffalo to Erie.  This may be true, but some people might want to go from Buffalo to Pittsburgh or Rochester to Erie.  It therefore makes sense to have both a Buffalo and Erie station, rather than just one or the other.  Just because people aren't going to use the system to travel to adjacent cities does not mean that they won't want to get to a certain city from 4 stations away.

I stand by my bill, in its current form.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2005, 12:42:51 AM »

I've done a little research and have found the $100 million dollars over the next 20 years could only pay for a 3 mile MagLev track. To pay for the entire promised line, it would cost us....$893.1 billion dollars and that is just construction.

To pay for this, we have to:
1) Raise taxes on all income brackets by 4%
2) Cut spending on social programs by 20%
3) Cut military spending by 10%

This only pays for research on Mag Lev.
Check out Clause 4 of the last version.

I see, but still. NO corporation would take a $1 trillion risk like that and NO financial institution would help pay for it.

You are not looking at the long term, though.  Just because something seems inpratical now doesn't mean that it will be impractical in 20-30 years.  That's why we need research.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005, 01:39:51 PM »

I don't support this. Seems to be to big a waste of taxpayer money. See Amtrak.

If you read through the deliberations, we are doing everything we can to make this un-like Amtrak.  First-off, these trains cannot crash, it is a near impossibility.  Second, these trains a twice as fast as Amtrak trains, thus they would be seen as far more favorable for medium rage trips.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2005, 08:38:11 PM »

Yea
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2005, 03:38:41 PM »

FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!  WHO EVER HASN'T VOTED, JUST VOTE DANM IT!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2005, 06:51:59 PM »

Oh, okay... it would appear that we do have six votes.  good
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies