Bill For the Planning a Financing of Mag/Lev Reaserch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:32:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Bill For the Planning a Financing of Mag/Lev Reaserch (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bill For the Planning a Financing of Mag/Lev Reaserch  (Read 7196 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« on: January 19, 2005, 02:20:16 AM »

I think the lines should be short, maybe Richmond-DC-Baltimore-Philly-NYC-Boston and SF-Sacramento-LA-SD-Phoenix.  It isn't very profitable to have lines running from Bismark and Boise.  Also, maybe a line direct DC-Orlando to take advantage of the auto train idea AMTRAK came up with.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 09:34:02 PM »

I do not see a SINGLE STOP in the Midwest in that bill.

Look at your states.  The great cities of Belle Fourche, Bismarck, Fargo, Boise, and Colorado Springs are hardly profitable stops for train lines.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 09:39:43 PM »

Toledo seemed like a good hub to branch off from, but I suppose you could remove it and replace it with Erie and a branch to Pittsburgh.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 09:47:51 PM »

Milwaukee? Chicago?

Are they not in the Midwest?

No, they are not in the Midwest.

Jake: But the Twin Cities, Duluth, Rochester (perhaps for a spur... the Mayo Clinic is here), Denver, Albuquerque, Des Moines...

As a resident of the Midwest, I am outraged that such prominant residents of Atlasia such as Senator Supersoulty and Jake cannot name the states of the Midwest.

ILV, notice I didn't include Hartford, Long Island, Newark, Trenton, Richmond, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, St. Louis, or Pittsburgh, all of which would be more profitable then EVERY city that you named.

In the bill, the possibility was left open for more spurs to be built.  Right now, it isn't economically profitable to build them.  All you want, Mr. Governor, is your slice of the pork.  Instead of developing the best system for Atlasia, you want us to repeat the disaster of AMTRAK with new technology.

Also, Supersoulty, you might want to add a clause saying additional spurs can be added, when economically profitable.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 09:53:47 PM »

Horrible, horrible, horrible:

Northeast-9
South-1
Mideast-8
Midwest-1
West-10

ILV, ask yourself where the most business travelers are going to be traveling from.  The east & west coasts have the profitable markets for these lines.  You don't build a massive sports stadium in boise and you don't construct a fast train line in the Rockies.  It just doesn't happen.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 09:55:08 PM »

Milwaukee? Chicago?

Are they not in the Midwest?

No, they are not in the Midwest.

Jake: But the Twin Cities, Duluth, Rochester (perhaps for a spur... the Mayo Clinic is here), Denver, Albuquerque, Des Moines...

As a resident of the Midwest, I am outraged that such prominant residents of Atlasia such as Senator Supersoulty and Jake cannot name the states of the Midwest.

ILV, notice I didn't include Hartford, Long Island, Newark, Trenton, Richmond, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, St. Louis, or Pittsburgh, all of which would be more profitable then EVERY city that you named.

In the bill, the possibility was left open for more spurs to be built.  Right now, it isn't economically profitable to build them.  All you want, Mr. Governor, is your slice of the pork.  Instead of developing the best system for Atlasia, you want us to repeat the disaster of AMTRAK with new technology.

Also, Supersoulty, you might want to add a clause saying additional spurs can be added, when economically profitable.

Well, sir, if you were really looking for profitability, you could include at least one stop in Texas!

I don't know what your motive is, but I question it.

AFAIK Texas is planning the construction of a massive 10 plus lane highway system spanning the State.  I viewed it to be a slight waste to supercede this plan which AFAIK includes a train line in it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 09:59:04 PM »

Horrible, horrible, horrible:

Northeast-9
South-1
Mideast-8
Midwest-1
West-10

ILV, ask yourself where the most business travelers are going to be traveling from.  The east & west coasts have the profitable markets for these lines.  You don't build a massive sports stadium in boise and you don't construct a fast train line in the Rockies.  It just doesn't happen.

1) I see nothing connecting the coasts.
2) You do build a massive sports stadium in Denver, and it is profitable!
3) Of course a train line in the Rockies is profitable; just ask the people who built the transcontinental railway!

ILV, the Mag/Lev trains are profitable when they are used as replacements for air travel.  It is more profitable to fly from St. Louis to Denver than it is to take the Mag/Lev there.  It is more profitable to take existing train lines from the Twin Cities to Boise than Mag/Lev travel.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 10:07:02 PM »

Don't placate him.  Of these lines, only the Texas line is profitable enough, and I already mentioned their highway system that is planned.  The Southern line and the Minneanapolis stop are wasteful and unprofitable.

Also, "all lines will intersect at Austin"-Do you mean all four other lines, or the spurs to SanAn, Houston, and Dallas?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 10:15:11 PM »

NE: 5.444(4444...) people/stop
SE: 22 people/stop (1 stop!  and that's just for New Englanders who want Disney vacations)
ME: 2.875 people/stop
MW: 15 people/stop (1 stop)
W: 2.2 people/stop

I repeat myself. Profitability & Speed
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 10:23:46 PM »

NE: 5.444(4444...) people/stop
SE: 22 people/stop (1 stop!  and that's just for New Englanders who want Disney vacations)
ME: 2.875 people/stop
MW: 15 people/stop (1 stop)
W: 2.2 people/stop

At this point, I would ask the governor to shut-up.  His point has been made, and I refuse to listen further.

Also, we are going by acctual population figures, not Atlasian voters.

I too will shut up when Verin does.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 10:58:02 PM »

I think we need to keep the South out of the Boston-DC line. Of all the possibilities listed here, only a Boston-DC line has proven to turn a profit.

Also, shouldn't we have a line to Nyman?

I agree, but if the senators want a southern line, the South East will take it. 

And Nyman is what we call the Government District of DC so quiet in the corner Wink
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 09:00:20 PM »

I've done a little research and have found the $100 million dollars over the next 20 years could only pay for a 3 mile MagLev track. To pay for the entire promised line, it would cost us....$893.1 billion dollars and that is just construction.

To pay for this, we have to:
1) Raise taxes on all income brackets by 4%
2) Cut spending on social programs by 20%
3) Cut military spending by 10%

This only pays for research on Mag Lev.
Check out Clause 4 of the last version.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 08:29:52 PM »

The senators are voting on this bill.  The final form AFAIK

Magnetic Levitation (Mag/Lev) Research Bill

Atlasia recognizes the potential of Magnetic Levitation technology if applied to transportation.  Already, competitors overseas have developed high speed transportation utilizing this technology.  Atlasia can not afford to fall behind in this rapidly expanding industry. Because of this, the following steps will be taken.

1) Atlasia shall invest in funding for research for Mag-Lev trains of $100 million over the next 20 years.

2) Atlasia will then work with private corporations and contractors to construct regional Mag/Lev transportation lines in the following regions.

a) A line will be constructed extending from Boston-New York City-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Nyman-Raleigh-Atlanta

b) A line will be constucted extending from Buffalo-Erie-Cleveland-Toledo-Chicago-Milwaukee-Minneapolis , with spurs extending south

from Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinatti, Erie-Pittsburgh and from Toledo-Detroit.

c) A line will be constructed extending from Seattle-Portland-San Francisco-Sacramento-Los Angeles-San Diego-Phoenix, with spurs extending from Phoenix-Grand Canyon-Las Vegas and from San Francisco-Reno/Lake Tahoe.

d) A line will be constructed extending from New York City-Nyman-Orlando which will be used as an express, direct route to Central Florida. The use of automobile transporting train cars will be encouraged.

e) A line will be constructed in Texas.  All lines will intersect in Austin, from which point there will be one line to Dallas, one line to Houston and one line to San Antonio.

3) Clause 2 shall be implemented by 2030.

4) No monies shall be appropiated from the Treasury of Atlasia for the purpose of constructing these lines.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies