The Official Star Trek Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:08:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Official Star Trek Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Official Star Trek Thread  (Read 42086 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: April 15, 2012, 04:45:18 PM »

I've seen most of TNG, VOY, & ENT, but my favorite is TOS. I've seen all of the movies, except for VI.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:15:34 AM »

I've seen most of TNG, VOY, & ENT, but my favorite is TOS. I've seen all of the movies, except for VI.

Movie 6 is a very good one, you have to watch it at some point.

I've tried to get hold of it, but with little success. I'm rather cheap, so I don't really have the means to buy it or stream it. Undecided
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:45:30 PM »

The 2009 film was the 9th best* of the 11 movies, and an unnecessary slap in the face to the long-time fans.  It could have been just as good without destroying all the continuity.

*- It was still decent nonetheless.

That was my thought as well. It's an alright movie, but after watching Star Trek for so long, that movie was sort of a disappointment.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:31:34 PM »

TNG is pretty good, though I thought it was too "optimistic" for my tastes. DS9 is much darker, and for that matter so is TOS. As much as it gets lampooned for its campiness, the characters in TOS had their share of flaws.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:34:46 PM »

I think if you're going to watch DS9, you can still skip the majority of the arcs and see some great episodes. "Duet," "Far Beyond the Stars," "Past Tense," "The Visitor," and "In the Pale Moonlight" work completely fine without background on the Dominion War.

With the possible exception of "In the Pale Moonlight", of course. Wink

Okay, well, granted it is a big driving force in the episode but the narrative doesn't suffer much as long as you know that there's a war and lots of people are dying.

Indeed, it's an amazing episode standing on its own merits. The context of the Dominion War is just icing on the cake.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:20:19 PM »

I'm a fan of the older content. I haven't cared for much since Deep Space Nine.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »

I haven't been a fan of the recent movies, but knowing that this is unrelated to them makes me somewhat more interested. The "previously mentioned event" is also a hell of a hook.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 10:52:04 AM »

This is an absurd accusation, but I will note that internet trolls saying deplorable things in comment sections is a phenomenon as old as the internet itself.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 03:58:14 PM »

Never heard of it, but I love classic Star Trek so I will be sure to check it out with the recommendation.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 11:42:03 AM »

I haven't seen Star Trek into Darkness, but I did watch the 2009 one recently and it's not as good as I remember. The lens flare, the Apple Store aesthetic, a poor villain in Eric Bana, more monotonous action scenes than I remember. I'm sure there's more, but it felt more like a regular ol' action blockbuster that happened to have Trek characters (And no disrespect to Zachary Quinto but I think Ethan Peck is a much better Spock than him). Those are just off the top of my head. Perhaps a good film for someone new, but I don't think it cracks my top 5 Trek films list.

The weird thing is that I remember disliking all of those when it came out but disregarded it cause "Trek is back baby!"

I felt the same way about Star Trek 2009, and I couldn't understand the hype at the time that this was as good as Wrath of Khan. It wasn't horrible, but it felt like it was written by someone who was just asked to write a generic action movie based off a random Star Trek parody. I also didn't like that most of the characters were changed in key personality traits, worst of all being Chekov morphing into a Wesley Crusher clone, or that the movie was peppered with callbacks to small elements of classic Trek, because after The Big Bang Theory people think that is what it means to enjoy scifi. As you say, it's a good film for someone new to the franchise.

Into Darkness OTOH made me give up on modern Trek. I won't go into more details though unless you want me to, because that would spoil it for you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies