The Official Star Trek Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:24:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Official Star Trek Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Official Star Trek Thread  (Read 42155 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 20, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »

TNG is the only Star Trek thing I ever really got into.  Some of the early season sets and special effects make Dr Who look like Star Wars, but the stories are good, the acting is (for the most part) top notch, the characters are (again, for the most part) good to great.  Some of the dialogue is rough, as in no real person would say those words in that situation, but that happens every where all the time so I can't give TNG too much sh**t for that...though it does seem to happen a lot on the show.  But overall a great SciFi TV show.  Probably my second favorite behind SG1....ok, maybe third, I think I liked Farscape better.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 02:14:08 PM »

Yep, it gets better as it goes on.  Even Wesley becomes enjoyable a couple of times.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 02:26:03 PM »

Indeed.  Wesley takes more crap than he deserves really, even when he was a whinging little bitch he was SUPPOSED to be a whinging little bitch.  Though his new show on ScyFy (another The Soup knockoff) kind of sucks and he's part of the reason why, but I still watch it because I like the format and I like him, he's just not as good at it as...well, pretty much everybody else that's done it.  Certainly worse than Hardwick, McHale and Tosh or any of the Talk Soup guys.  Then again, ALL those guys are stand ups first (save McHale, but he's just got charm oozing out of his ears) so it comes easier to them.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »

I don't know if it's good or bad or better or worse than Seth MacFarlane's rip off, but it's a LOT slower.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 09:16:44 AM »

I have now seen all 6 episodes so far and some scences were OK, but I have now watched the clip from the 7th episode and they are throwing a college-like party on the ship and I will officially declare this show a trainwreck ala Martin Schulz ... (started OK, but is slowly getting worse).

After watching the episode, I need to say that it was actually pretty good. The preview clip just wasn't ...
It was my favorite episode so far...in spite of Dwight Schrute giving a "evil bad ass" speech that didn't work.  The main lady, her boy friend and Kevin Spacey's victim should have told the Captain what was going on.  And there was a third thing that bothered me, but I can't remember what it was...still, my favorite episode yet.

Still nowhere near as good as The Orville.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 01:16:47 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 05:04:39 PM »

It got better as the season went on.  There were Klingon boobs and somebody said the F-word.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 01:51:59 PM »

After 2 episodes, Season 2 seems to be better than Season 1.

Spock has not appeared so far, but apparently he's in a mental institution on Star Base V ...

I enjoy it much more though to watch the Orville.

And with episode 3, they are back to the Season 1 storyline: Klingons (now with hair), brutality, spores and Georgiou.

On the other hand, Orville did their own version of Data + Jenna from Star Trek TNG ...
and it was the first good episode of the season.  I've been really disappointed in this season.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »

I'm not a Treky, but I'll watch pretty much anything with Stewart as Picard in it.  What a great character.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 06:28:03 AM »

when do you guys think was "peak" Star Trek.  Mid to late Next Generation is my favorite, but I haven't seen much DS9 or Voyager.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but me and the wife are slowly watching our way through everything Star Trek, starting from the beginning.  We've got a dozen or so episodes left of the original series and it's real hard to watch.  I respect the fact that they were first (or at least early) and didn't have much of a budget, but sheesh.  Spock/Nimoy is the only thing good about it....sometimes the writing isn't bad.  Oh, and the outfits the alien ladies often wear are nice...but Kirk/Shatner is hot garbage.  Most of the writing is sh**t, but it pairs well with the sh**t acting.  Don't get me started on the stage make up they all wear (we were like 8 episodes when I noticed everyone had on heavy eye shadow, like they were prostitutes in the 80s and now we can't not see it.  It's hard to take someone serious when they're wearing purple eye make up.).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 08:16:49 PM »

The wife and I are watching through all the ST TV shows, in release order.  The changes between TOS and TNG are huge.  Which one of the above do you think changed the most?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 01:41:28 AM »

Me and the wife are most of the way through watching everything Start Trek, so we'll add this to the list.  We just finished Lower Decks and it is, by FAR, the best Star Trek ever.  Not close.  We haven't seen Picard, the other new cartoon one that is aimed at children or Enterprise. 

We had just finished Voyager before Lower Decks.  What an ordeal that was.  I was done with anything Star Trek at that point, but we knew Lower Decks was going to be short (2 seasons of 13 half hour episodes) and had a cool cast and was supposed to be funny.  We're supposed to do Star Wars after all of Trek is done, but the plan, as of now, is to watch Picard and then move onto Wars without watching season 3 of Discovery or the one for kids, but maybe we'll add Continues to the list.

**if anyone wants to give an opinion on what Star Wars properties to watch and in what order, I'm in a listening mode.  Right now, were leaning towards just the movies and watching them in "in universe" chronological order...ie, Start with the prequels, Solo, Rogue1, the original 3, the last 3.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 06:28:32 AM »

the wife says she won't watch the SW TV shows.  I can maybe convince her to watch an episode to see if we'll like it.  We watched season 1 of the Mandalorian.  It wasn't as good to us as it seemed to be for everyone else.

Voyager is worse than DS9 which is worse than TNG and everything is better than TOS.  Janeway wasn't the issue (though she is clearly not in the same league as Picard or Sisko), Chakotay is good too, 7of9 was excellent eye candy.  Tuvok was my favorite crew member, but they rarely gave that guy any screen time.  Kim sucked, Torres sucked, I like Robert Picardo, the Doctor was an interesting character that they used WAY too much.  It seemed like 85% of eps were focused on the Doctor or 7of9 (or both).  I understand the desire to focus on their best features, but maybe toss Tuvok a bone from time to time.

and I think we may have watched too much scifi.  But we did get a bunch of inside jokes between us out of it.  Every time a ship approaches a cloud in space, one of us will tell them to shoot it with something (which they almost always end up doing).  Anytime someone on the show says something like "heavy damage on decks 9 through 14" one of us will shout "oh no, the nursery!" (in a "won't someone think of the children" kind of way) which really only applied to TNG, but we still say it.  Lower Decks even did a version of the joke in the show. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies