The Official Star Trek Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:13:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Official Star Trek Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Official Star Trek Thread  (Read 42101 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 06, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »

Film looks good (for action and box office), but it's hardly "my" Star Trek anymore.

TOS or nothing Smiley  That said, 2009 movie was enjoyable and I'll probably end up seeing this.  I really hope the rumors that Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell are true.  That was one of my favorite episodes! 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »

Yeah... when did Star Trek become a generic sci-fi action thing?

With Voyager and DS9.

Hey now, DS9 was TV gold. And Voyager was good for at least the first season.

I've always considered both DS9 and Voyager to be pretty awful, tbh.  TOS was excellent (it had its bad episodes, but overall it was great show) and what made it great was its masterful use of science-fiction as a vehicle for social commentary, philosophical questions, etc. TNG definitely had its moments and I liked it, but it doesn't hold a candle to the TOS.  Also, it shifted between deeper themes and generic science-fiction.  After TNG went off the air, Star Trek died, imo.  It basically became generic sci-fi unworthy of a noble name.  The deeper themes vanished completely.  Even the 2009 film was entertaining, but that isn't "my" Star Trek anymore.  I regard it as an entertaining, reasonably well-made sci-fi film, but also one without of any of the deeper themes that made TOS or even TNG good (and even TNG wasn't that amazing).  On the plus side though, there was no Wesley Crusher Tongue 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:03:06 PM »

Why?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies