The Official Star Trek Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:58:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Official Star Trek Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28
Author Topic: The Official Star Trek Thread  (Read 44100 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: November 01, 2017, 02:32:47 AM »

I have now seen all 6 episodes so far and some scences were OK, but I have now watched the clip from the 7th episode and they are throwing a college-like party on the ship and I will officially declare this show a trainwreck ala Martin Schulz ... (started OK, but is slowly getting worse).

After watching the episode, I need to say that it was actually pretty good. The preview clip just wasn't ...

What do you think, Old Europe ?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #301 on: November 01, 2017, 06:15:33 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2017, 06:23:29 AM by Great Again: Twilight of the GOP »

Discovery is still kind of Meh. Not totally bad, but not that good either.

They're trying very hard to do a "dark" Trek show, but this attempt often comes across as lame and clichéd. "Dark" Trek was done before by DS9 (and to some lesser exrent ENT), so there really wasn't a necessity to do it a third time now. Especially since the show is titled Discovery which implied a return to a more exploration-oriented Star Trek.

Another weakness is that the main protagonist Michael Burnham is too bland and uninteresting. The characters of Lt. Stamets, Cadet Tilly, and Captain Lorca (even though they have to be careful that they're not overdoing it with the "is the captain actually a bad guy or isn't he?" angle) all overshine Burnham in my opinion. Ash Tyler on the other hand is as bland as Burnham, and Saru is mostly useless too.

What I do appreciate in the new show is a willingness to embrace some weirder ideas like the "spore drive" or the "space whale" (which is protected under the Endangered Species Act *lol*) from last episode.

But as I previously said... the first seasons of The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise were all crap too. Usually, it was no earlier than during the third or fourth season those shows actually become good. But they were given that opportunity to grow because they happened to have Star Trek in their title. If TNG hadn't been a Star Trek show it probably would have been cancelled after its second season IMO.

Question is, will Discovery be given that same chance?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #302 on: November 05, 2017, 07:46:20 AM »

Wow, just saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EwIgahBzKI

Thumbs up.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #303 on: November 05, 2017, 09:16:44 AM »

I have now seen all 6 episodes so far and some scences were OK, but I have now watched the clip from the 7th episode and they are throwing a college-like party on the ship and I will officially declare this show a trainwreck ala Martin Schulz ... (started OK, but is slowly getting worse).

After watching the episode, I need to say that it was actually pretty good. The preview clip just wasn't ...
It was my favorite episode so far...in spite of Dwight Schrute giving a "evil bad ass" speech that didn't work.  The main lady, her boy friend and Kevin Spacey's victim should have told the Captain what was going on.  And there was a third thing that bothered me, but I can't remember what it was...still, my favorite episode yet.

Still nowhere near as good as The Orville.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #304 on: December 08, 2017, 08:06:53 AM »

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-jj-abrams-1202220032

Hmmm.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #305 on: December 08, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »

I'm pumped. That's gonna be awesome.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #306 on: December 09, 2017, 10:06:41 PM »

Probably will be entertaining at least
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #307 on: December 10, 2017, 12:26:24 AM »

No, no, no, no, let me ask you a question: When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my ship that said "Dead Klingon Storage"? Did you notice a sign out in front of my ship that said "Dead Klingon Storage"? You know why you didn't see that sign? 'Cause it ain't there, 'cause storing dead klingons ain't my f**king business, that's why!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #308 on: December 11, 2017, 12:40:00 AM »

No, no, no, no, let me ask you a question: When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my ship that said "Dead Klingon Storage"? Did you notice a sign out in front of my ship that said "Dead Klingon Storage"? You know why you didn't see that sign? 'Cause it ain't there, 'cause storing dead klingons ain't my f**king business, that's why!

-cut to Lens Flare coming through the windows and blinding everyone-
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #309 on: January 22, 2018, 12:04:22 PM »

Anyone else watch this show? I'm hugely into it and I was wondering if there were any like-minded fans on the forum who'd like to offer their opinions and whatnot. Last night's episode was absolutely wild.

I even bought this shirt last night in the stupor caused by the whiplash of the plot
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #310 on: January 22, 2018, 10:11:26 PM »

I'm not enough of a Star Trek geek to either buy CBS:All Access or seek out pirated episodes, so no opinion.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #311 on: January 22, 2018, 10:15:53 PM »

It's grown on me.  Definitely like it better now than when it first came out, though it's still not even my favorite currently running space-based TV show (that would be "The Expanse").
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #312 on: January 22, 2018, 11:57:29 PM »

It's grown on me.  Definitely like it better now than when it first came out, though it's still not even my favorite currently running space-based TV show (that would be "The Expanse").

My friend watches Discovery and the Expanse and he loves them both. Have you seen DSC up to the most recent episode? I had been paying attention to all the theorizers but I was still shocked when they were finally revealed officially... I was also surprised by how quickly the plot moves along
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #313 on: January 23, 2018, 12:00:52 AM »

My friend watches Discovery and the Expanse and he loves them both. Have you seen DSC up to the most recent episode? I had been paying attention to all the theorizers but I was still shocked when they were finally revealed officially... I was also surprised by how quickly the plot moves along

Yes, I've seen up to the most recent episode.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #314 on: January 23, 2018, 05:19:17 AM »

I am not a ster trek fan, only have seen JJ's films (they were good). I've seen only 9 first episodes, but so far show is pretty stupid and lazy. Maybe next episodes will be better
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #315 on: January 23, 2018, 05:47:46 PM »

It's still a bit silly, and hardcore Star Trek purists probably have many reasons to hate it, but so far I'd  consider Season 1.5 a definite improvement over Season 1.0.

It's fully serialized now and recently we had a whole barrage of plot twists and reveals which answered some important question from the first half of the season. Surprisngly, the current story arc also serves as kind of a sequel to a prominent two-part episode from Star Trek: Enterprise.

Especially in the second half of the season, Discovery has definitely become the darkest, bleakest, and bloodiest Star Trek show ever. Right now it succeeds in making the Dominion War arc from Deep Speace Nine look like the very embodiment of fluffiness and cheerfulness. Which is why can understand if some hardcore Trekkies may despise this show. Exploring strange new worlds, an optimistic vision of the future, a more "evolved" mankind... that's all deader than dead right now. This is the Breaking Bad / Walking Dead / Handmaid's Tale / etc. of Star Trek shows.
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #316 on: January 23, 2018, 09:32:11 PM »

Interesting take. While I don't agree that the show is negatively affected by the creative choices, I can see why some people are not cool with some of it. Though, you've got to admit, the plots and characters themselves are extremely high quality and very compelling

Also that Harry Mudd episode with the time loop was one of the best episodes of the whole franchise, imo
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #317 on: January 23, 2018, 09:39:46 PM »

The problem with serialized shows like this is that they so often start out with the writers seeming like they know what they're doing, only to go off the rails badly once it becomes clear how much the writers are winging it.  So yes, I enjoy it so far, but I'm guarded about how this storyline is going to develop.

I'm now actually kind of hoping that the Discovery crew never gets back to their own reality (until perhaps the end of the series).  Would be interesting to see it become something like Star Trek: Sliders, where they hop from one reality to the next over and over.

OTOH, I read someone on another forum suggest their own theory for how this season might end in a frustrating reset button: The Discovery returns to their own reality, but goes back in time to just before the Battle at the Binary Stars, and does something to prevent both the conflict with the Klingons and Burnham's mutiny, clearing the way for Burnham to get promoted to captain of the Discovery.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #318 on: January 28, 2018, 11:16:42 PM »

Latest episode was OK.  Unfortunately, I now think it's more likely than ever that the season will end with a time travel reset button, where much (all?) of the season is erased from the timeline by them going back in time and preventing the Klingon conflict from ever happening in the first place.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #319 on: January 28, 2018, 11:49:21 PM »

The Orville is better.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #320 on: January 29, 2018, 02:55:42 AM »

I've only watched the first four episodes and I'm really not impressed. (I stopped because I don't feel compelled right now to watch anything further.) It doesn't feel like Star Trek at all. This is not even close to any previous portrayal of the Federation. It's far too dark and without hope and the Klingon redesign is outright annoying. They sound like they're talking with a mouth full of food or something.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #321 on: February 06, 2018, 01:16:47 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #322 on: February 06, 2018, 05:16:40 AM »

yes that is very weird.  R-rated Star Trek shouldn't be a thing.

speaking of Star Trek Into Darkness, I saw it again recently and when a movie has that many gaping plot holes I feel like I'm being gaslighted.  meanwhile I like Star Trek V: Final Frontier; it has some of the best interaction between Kirk, Spock and McCoy, and I think gets too much hate.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #323 on: February 06, 2018, 05:48:33 PM »

Hell yeah!
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #324 on: February 06, 2018, 06:59:39 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28