The Official Star Trek Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:38:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Official Star Trek Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28
Author Topic: The Official Star Trek Thread  (Read 41887 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: March 11, 2023, 09:54:45 AM »
« edited: March 11, 2023, 09:57:56 AM by Middle-aged Europe »

Too bad Vadic is pronounced "-ick" in both the English and German version.

I would have preferred the Balkan-style "Va-dit(s)ch" pronounciation. Maybe it makes sense in English, but for German the Balkan-version would be better.

Kiki

Also, they shouldn't have translated "The Shryke" to "Würger" ... just left it as "The Shryke" instead.

Apparently, it's the name of a bird:

And: Amanda Plummer makes a really convincing villain.

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Ah, so you are enjoying the show in its original Klingon? Cheesy

The German dubbing of Star Trek can be atrocious at times. I still remember when in the series finale of Enterprise they had Malcolm Reed drop a reference to the title of TNG's series finale (All Good Things...) which was then directly translated by ze Germans into All Good Things' German title (Gestern, Heute, Morgen = Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow) in the dubbed version.

Kudos to noticing that it was indeed a reference to TNG, although the usage of the line "yesterday, today, tomorrow" instead of "all good things" made no sense in the context of the respective dialogue they tried to dub, leaving the impression that Reed was just uttering random gibberish there.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #626 on: March 11, 2023, 12:49:21 PM »

Picard's last episode, "No Win Scenario", currently has a IMDb rating of 9.2.

This would make it the best Picard episode so far, and the fifth-, sixth-, or seventh-best Star Trek episode ever. Maybe a tad overrated me thinks.

But it made me look (again ?) what the ten best or so Star Trek episodes are, according to individual IMDb ratings.

It comes down to this (all of these episodes have a IMDb rating of 9.1 or higher):

The Original Series
"The City on the Edge of Forever" (9.2)

The Next Generation
"The Measure of a Man" (9.1)
"Yesterday's Enterprise" (9.2)
"The Best of Both Worlds" (9.3)
"The Best of Both Worlds Part II" (9.2)
"The Inner Light" (9.4)

Deep Space Nine

"The Visitor" (9.1)
"Trials and Tribble-ations" (9.3)
"In the Pale Moonlight" (9.4)

Picard
"No Win Scenario" (9.2)

Strange New Worlds

"A Quality of Mercy" (9.1)

The following Trek shows have no episode that is rated 9.1 or higher, with the highest-rated respective episodes being:

The Animated Series: "Yesteryear" (8.0)
Voyager: "Blink of an Eye" (9.0)
Enterprise: "Twilight" (8.6)
Discovery: "If Memory Serves" and "Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2" (8.2  Surprise )
Short Treks: "Calypso" (7.8 )
Lower Decks: "No Small Parts", "wej Duj", and "First First Contact" (8.7)
Prodigy: "Supernova, Part 1" (8.9)
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #627 on: March 11, 2023, 12:58:26 PM »

This would make it the best Picard episode so far, and the fifth-, sixth-, or seventh-best Star Trek episode ever. Maybe a tad overrated me thinks.

But it made me look (again ?) what the ten best or so Star Trek episodes are, according to individual IMDb ratings.

It comes down to this (all of these episodes have a IMDb rating of 9.1 or higher):

The Original Series

The Next Generation
"The Inner Light" (9.4)

Deep Space Nine

"The Visitor" (9.1)

Picard
"No Win Scenario" (9.2)

Strange New Worlds

The following Trek shows have no episode that is rated 9.1 or higher, with the highest-rated respective episodes being:

I believe that the season pilot of "ST: Picard", the first episode in fact, was the best episode so far.

The acting by Isa Briones and the directing made her look like an outstanding 21st-century version of Data's invented daughter Lal.

Followed by "The Impossible Box" and "Nepenthe".

The last episode was pretty good, but I would rank it 4th or 5th.
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #628 on: March 11, 2023, 01:01:48 PM »

The intro of each new "ST: Picard" episode is confusing to me, because it says "Previously on:"

Shouldn't it say "Previously on ST: Picard..." ?

"Previously on..." in German means "Bisher bei..."

But that's an incomplete sentence.

Or is it normal these days to just write "Previously on..." ?
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #629 on: March 11, 2023, 01:13:04 PM »

I finally know again what I wanted to do after watching the 1st episode of the new season, but then forgot about it:

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #630 on: March 12, 2023, 02:13:46 PM »

The Original Series

The Next Generation
"The Inner Light" (9.4)

Deep Space Nine

"The Visitor" (9.1)

Picard
"No Win Scenario" (9.2)

Strange New Worlds

I don't know if this is a hot take, but "The Inner Light" has got to be the most overrated episode of Trek. I watched it without realising it was considered a great episode and it struck me as a mixture of bland, nonsensical and overwrought. I didn't care about the global warming/environmental collapse analogy and irritated at their plan to "save their legacy" by gaslighting Picard for decades.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #631 on: March 17, 2023, 07:05:47 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2023, 07:23:53 AM by Middle-aged Europe »

Episode 5: Imposters

Spoilers ahead...

The major spoiler in this episode is the surprise return of Ro Laren. As such the episode serves as a follow-up, or a sequel of sorts, to TNG's season 7 episode Preemptive Strike, bringing closure to the Picard-Ro relationship almost 30 years later. This was certainly this episode's strongest point, seeing both of them struggling whether they can forgive each other.

By now it has also become clear that this season's main arc is basically a cross between TNG's season 1 episode Conspiracy (switching the parasites for Changelings), and the DS9 two-parter Homefront/Paradise Lost (treating the Changeling infiltration threat as genuine instead of being a false-flag operation by a rogue Starfleet admiral).

The mystery behind Jack Crusher continues to built up. Is he perhaps a Changeling who at one point replaced the real Jack but then forget about his nature and origins?

IMO the episode also features a notable guest appearance by Kirk Acevedo as a Vulcan crime boss, proving that you can find members of this species in pretty much every field since individual Vulcans always use their own subjective version of "logic". This particular Vulcan's logic has been corrupted by having grown up alongside a Ferengi in the streets of a backwater planet, eventually turning him into a bit of a gambler who is "fascinated" by the mathematical probabilities of who would win in a Human vs. Klingon knife fight.

They managed to switch on the lights on the Titan again btw, although the show still comes across as rather badly lit a lot of the time. This article adresses the issue and explains it as a technical error on part of the production, according to showrunner Terry Matalas Star Trek: Picard wasn't supposed to be that dark: https://screenrant.com/star-trek-picard-technical-error-season-3-dark/
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #632 on: March 19, 2023, 04:56:28 AM »

Yeah, spoilers:

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #633 on: March 19, 2023, 05:57:27 AM »

.PS:

Europe: Did you also notice how Jack Crusher sometimes gets referred to "Jake" Crusher in the German version? Or is it just me?

Can't tell, I watch the show in English.
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #634 on: March 25, 2023, 05:10:14 AM »

I always watch it in English first, then German. And I do the same with "The Mandalorian".

The last epidose ("The Bounty") was pretty good, even better in German because my English is not so good.

The episode had a few new charcaters and also old friends and nostalgia. Family frictions were solved, but I'm still not sure if the German dub team made an error again or not: The episode title in English, as I've said, is "The Bounty" and they translated it to "Die Bounty". Obviously, it could refer to the ship in that episode but also to the situation at the very end of the episode and the 2 people being held hostage as "bounty" for JC.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #635 on: March 25, 2023, 11:35:15 AM »

I wish Picard had been 3 seasons of this season 3 story, instead of the first 2 seasons we got
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #636 on: March 25, 2023, 01:29:33 PM »

I wish Picard had been 3 seasons of this season 3 story, instead of the first 2 seasons we got

Amen.
k120
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -6.70

P
« Reply #637 on: March 27, 2023, 01:43:59 AM »

I'm still not sure if the German dub team made an error again or not: The episode title in English, as I've said, is "The Bounty" and they translated it to "Die Bounty". Obviously, it could refer to the ship in that episode but also to the situation at the very end of the episode and the 2 people being held hostage as "bounty" for JC.

There could be a double meaning like you say, but if I were translating it I would take the ship name as the primary meaning and translate accordingly, which it looks like they did.

I'm glad we got the first two seasons. If it was just a TNG reunion from the start, we wouldn't have gotten the characters Ríos, Raffi, and Elnor, whom I really like. And even if they brought Seven back, she probably wouldn't be in as prominent a role as she is. Michael Chabon did a lot of good worldbuilding which has turned out to be essential to Season 3, particularly the backstories of Raffi, Seven, Riker, & Troi.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #638 on: March 27, 2023, 03:45:22 AM »

I agree. But at the same time, considering how hands-on Patrick Stewart seemed to be from the start, I doubt the show would've gotten off the ground if the season 3 story was the original pitch.

Whether or not that's a net positive is up to you
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #639 on: March 27, 2023, 09:54:48 AM »

I loved season 1. And yes, Raffi and co have been great additions to the universe and Seven might not have been there to play if it was TNG 2 from the beginning. That being said, season 3 is just so good!
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #640 on: March 31, 2023, 08:47:19 AM »

This week's episode seemed to be a bit of a letdown.

It started promising with a cameo by Tuvok, but then it devolved into the tedious and incoherent mess I was used to in Season 2. Jean-Luc Picard in particular also seemed to act a bit uncharacteristic, for example when he decided that they should worry about the moral implications of creating a potential weapon of mass destruction later. Hopefully this is only a one-off thing that they drop the ball in this manner.

Only upside: The Geordi/Data scenes dealing with Geordi's grief when he lost Data.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #641 on: March 31, 2023, 03:31:25 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2023, 03:45:05 PM by Interlocutor »

I actually thought yesterday was a fun watch. Lots of strong performances; Amanda Plummer, Gates McFadden, Brent Spiner, LeVar Burton + Ryan/Russ. My only gripes were the lack of Riker & Shaw outside of the first minute. Not the best episode of the bunch, but better than anything I've seen from the first two seasons.

Unfortunately I expected a lot of kneejerk "Twas fun while it lasted" reactions once we got an episode that was merely a 7/10 rather than an 8 or 9. I guess that's the problem with continued momentum.

- I feel like the bulk of next week will focus heavily on Riker's (and Tuvok's?)  + the Titan crew either taking back the ship or going off to find another one (Perhaps the one ship we didn't see at the shipyard?). I'm also hoping we get to hear about what's up with Jack and finally get that ball rolling.

- Also, Janeway has been brought up in practically every episode this season. I'll be pretty disappointed if she doesn't show up in the final episode.
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #642 on: April 07, 2023, 03:14:34 PM »

Episode 8 was one of the best of the season again, IMO.
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #643 on: April 09, 2023, 02:29:11 AM »

Episode 8 was one of the best of the season again, IMO.

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #644 on: April 14, 2023, 08:42:46 AM »

Episode 9 sure was something. Wow.

Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #645 on: April 14, 2023, 12:14:51 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2023, 03:31:37 PM by Interlocutor »

🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #646 on: April 15, 2023, 10:21:44 AM »

Episode 9 was  Love - especially the later parts.

🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #647 on: April 15, 2023, 10:25:23 AM »

I hope they the last episode 90 minutes at least

Matalas tweeted that it's gonna be 60 minutes.

I was also hoping for 90 minutes.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #648 on: April 15, 2023, 03:33:48 PM »

I hope they the last episode 90 minutes at least

Matalas tweeted that it's gonna be 60 minutes.

I was also hoping for 90 minutes.

That's a big shame. I would've loved a feature-length reunion on the D. Wouldn't stun me if it was a Paramount+ call rather than Matalas
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #649 on: April 18, 2023, 06:22:20 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2023, 04:04:58 PM by Middle-aged Europe »

After I watched the two almost back to back now, is it a "hot take" to say that I actually prefer Star Trek Into Darkness over Star Trek (2009)? Critics seemed to like the latter more, but I always had a bit of an issue with the first Abramsverse installment since its "joke - joke - let's blow up Vulcan and kill its six billion inhabitants, including Spock's mother - hilarious joke - joke" structure always seemed to be a bit inconsistent in style and mood to me. STID is more coherent in that manner and Cumberbatch & Peter Weller also make stronger villains compared to Eric Bana who simply sucks at playing an "evil" character.

Ah, yes, they brought back the Enterprise-D on Picard which I found - even though I still believe that on balance the show's flaws outweigh its strengths - pretty darn cool. Hilariously, it probably also featured the best-lit scene during this season so far (= D's bridge). I suppose this was intentional and meant to convey some sort of symbolism/contrast.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies