Does anyone of you people ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:21:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Does anyone of you people ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: or your parents have housekeeping employees ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Does anyone of you people ...  (Read 4157 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2012, 12:48:55 AM »

Like Berta in "Two and a half Men":

No, I have not and my parents had none either.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:43:48 AM »

Yes, but only for 2 hours a week.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:59:10 AM »

"Does anyone of you people . . . " is an unusual turn of phrase.  But no, I never have and I never liked the idea either. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 04:07:33 AM »

No, but I'm looking for one.  I've a much bigger place than my previous 'bed sit', and I will need a maid to come in about once a week I'd say.  I'm not sure what this will cost but I think not more than $8-10/week for a half-day visit.

For years my mother had a woman come in about once a week like that - I think for one full day per one week, usually Saturday or Sunday as we usually weekended at the country house.  This was a highly variable practice - sometimes she managed to go a full year with one, without squabbling, and other times they parted ways rapidly and we were back in the chaos of my mother's own house-keeping.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:11:23 AM »

I wish!
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 04:14:47 AM »

No, but I'm looking for one.  I've a much bigger place than my previous 'bed sit', and I will need a maid to come in about once a week I'd say.  I'm not sure what this will cost but I think not more than $8-10/week for a half-day visit.

For years my mother had a woman come in about once a week like that - I think for one full day per one week, usually Saturday or Sunday as we usually weekended at the country house.  This was a highly variable practice - sometimes she managed to go a full year with one, without squabbling, and other times they parted ways rapidly and we were back in the chaos of my mother's own house-keeping.
How cute.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 04:50:59 AM »

Two and a Half Men is representative of all the worst things about America.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 04:53:01 AM »

No, never have. The idea doesn't sit right with me for some reason, either.

Also,

^^^

Two and a Half Men is the Great Satan.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 05:11:44 AM »

Nah.

^^^

Two and a Half Men is the Great Satan.

Also this.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:01:34 AM »

Of course, and his fresh water bowl is refilled daily, unless we go on vacation.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »

Very briefly, when I was in middle school, my dad had a woman who would come every few weeks and vaccum or whatever bit for an hour or so. I think it was one of those situations where people don't want charity, but friends wil make a job for friends to help through a rough patch.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 04:47:24 PM »

3 hours per week.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 06:56:24 PM »

Had a neighbor who did when I was growing up, but they had a large family and one of the kids had health problems (he eventually died in his 20s from them), so looking back, I suspect they hired a housekeeper so the mom could concentrate on looking after the kids instead of the housework.

Housekeepers aren't fashionable these days.  If someone were to make a show like The Brady Bunch today, they'd make Mike a Mormon, and Alice a co-wife instead of a housekeeper.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »

A long time ago, in Riyadh, yeah. Once a week iirc.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »

My flatmate (who owns the apartment) is very messy. And rich and spoiled. Tongue

So his mother pays for a Polish cleaning lady who comes every week or every two weeks. She cleans his room and all common areas (the living room, the two bathrooms and the kitchen).

She hates us - with good reason and often screams out loud and curses in Polish. She also once broke our toilet in a fit of rage.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 10:10:42 PM »

My flatmate (who owns the apartment) is very messy. And rich and spoiled. Tongue

So his mother pays for a Polish cleaning lady who comes every week or every two weeks. She cleans his room and all common areas (the living room, the two bathrooms and the kitchen).

She hates us - with good reason and often screams out loud and curses in Polish. She also once broke our toilet in a fit of rage.

What do you do to her?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »

Surprisingly no, we've never had one. I don't know that my parents would agree to having someone they don't know come in and take care of their shet.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 10:50:26 PM »

What a horrible thought.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 10:57:37 PM »

I have a cleaning lady who comes weekly and mostly dusts... it is difficult for me to be on my knees and up on ladders as some of the ceiling fans are very high...also have regular gardening and lawn services
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 05:38:13 AM »

How much does this cost?

But good for your roomate's mother.  After all, if you allow young men to live alone without cleaning services, it will destroy the apartment.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »

What do you do to her?

It's not so much me - but his room is often quite scary. He once dropped a glass on the floor and just left the pieces of shattered glass lying around. He also once left a bowl of porridge in a drawer in his room and went away on vacation, leaving it to rot there for a month.

Also, it's good etiquette to clean up things so a maid can do the dusting, vacuum cleaning and so on more easily. Since all communication with this maid (who only knows Polish anyway) goes via my flatmate's mother I never know when she arrives so I can never do this in the living room or kitchen.

At least I clean my own room though so it doesn't get that embarassing for me.

The Polish-speaking girl who lives with us now was a bit bothered by all the Polish cursing though, since she can actually understand it. Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »

How much does this cost?

But good for your roomate's mother.  After all, if you allow young men to live alone without cleaning services, it will destroy the apartment.

I've no idea, since I'm not paying for it. But those things are generally quite expensive in Sweden, so hardly anyone but the really rich can afford it. Unless they do it illegally and don't pay taxes on it, of course.

I think most of the apartment would do fine. And we're not only men living here either...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »

My parents had maid services during my junior year in college.  It scared the hell out of me when I visited during Winter Break, mostly because I had no idea that my parents even had maid service.  I was in my room working up my motivation when this short Hispanic lady just burst into my room!
I almost had a heart attack at age 21.
She was freaked out too and went about cleaning other areas.  I managed to clean a few spots in my room (mostly just taking some water glasses downstairs and throwing my bedding sheets into the washing machine, throwing all of the clothes on my floor into a suitcase) and then gave them the go ahead and sped off to the nearest bar so I could get my heart rate back down to a non-life threatening level.

But I personally don't see the need for one.  I mean really, I'm so disorganized and lazy about keeping my sh*t clean that any sane person would hate being my cleaning person.  I would much rather wallow in my own slothery than end up dead on the six O'Clock news story of "disgruntled" home cleaners.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 08:03:28 PM »

It's a very common thing in Bangladesh, of course. Both sets of grandparents have live-in servants.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 08:15:32 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2012, 08:22:59 PM by Frodo »

We did when we lived in South Korea and the Philippines, where we had a maid and (in Manila) our own driver.  

I still haven't forgotten catching a glimpse of our Filipina maid topless when she was changing in the hallway -and she and I were the only ones in the house. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies