Barry Dunham
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:40:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Barry Dunham
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Barry Dunham  (Read 3288 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »

Resenting how his father left him, a young Barack takes his mother's last name. He also ends up not minding the nickname "Barry", though his real name is still Barack. His middle name is still Hussein.

How does his performance in the 2008 election change, assuming he still goes into politics and gets the Democratic nomination?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »

Given the digging people like Hannity did in '08, I'd venture to guess that as soon "Barry" posed a real threat, stuff like this would come out anyway.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:33:28 PM »

Given the digging people like Hannity did in '08, I'd venture to guess that as soon "Barry" posed a real threat, stuff like this would come out anyway.
A Proud Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 12:06:07 AM »

I don't think it would take Hannity doing too much active "digging" if Mr. Dunham had a real shot in a General Election.

Unless he was actively trying to conceal his real name, and his father's name, it would be known by the public once be became nationally famous.

How much impact would it have on things when people started finding out? That depends.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:35:35 PM »

Better yet, what if he was white?  Think about it.  Not to be racist, but would he be able to stir the pot as much if he were just another Harvard-bred middle-aged white man?  It wouldn't be impossible for an African-American and white couple to have a white child, but unlikely.  Anyway, just thought that would be interesting, and he mightn't be able to be viewed as too big of a "change.".  While not a critical part of his campaign, and while I don't subscribe to the whole "Obama wouldn't have won if he were white" theory, I do think it made an impact, garnering Barry 97% of the African-American vote.  While that vote is typically safe Dem, it might've affected outcomes in places with high African-American populations, such as Virginia and North Carolina.  Just wanted to hear people's thoughts regarding this.
A Proud Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2012, 10:07:41 AM by A Proud Republican »

Better yet, what if he was white?  Think about it.  Not to be racist, but would he be able to stir the pot as much if he were just another Harvard-bred middle-aged white man?

I doubt it. The idea of the First Black President helped him out a lot. To be honest, if the DP had really made the decision to put a white Harvard grad named Barry Dunham on the ticket with Joe Biden and run with it in '08, I think we would now be talking about President John McCain and the first female VP.

Either that, or we would have a President Dunham, elected by a much more slight margin. Who knows, really? Bush was increasingly unpopular, then, and that may have rubbed off on Republicans in general in the GE. It happened in '76 following Watergate.

Then, we have the distinct lack of experience on Mr. Dunham's part. In the Illinois legislature and in his U.S. Senate position, we would have the simple fact that he did very little that was productive while in office.

I don't think he could have pulled it off, to be perfectly honest. I believe the Democrats would have been compelled to choose somebody else, perhaps Clinton, to run.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:08:42 AM »

Better yet, what if he was white?  Think about it.  Not to be racist, but would he be able to stir the pot as much if he were just another Harvard-bred middle-aged white man?

I doubt it. The idea of the First Black President helped him out a lot. To be honest, if the DP had really made the decision to put a white Harvard grad named Barry Dunham on the ticket with Joe Biden and run with it in '08, I think we would now be talking about President John McCain and the first female VP.

Either that, or we would have a President Dunham, elected by a much more slight margin. Who knows, really? Bush was increasingly unpopular, then, and that may have rubbed off on Republicans in general in the GE. It happened in '76 following Watergate.

Then, we have the distinct lack of experience on Mr. Dunham's part. In the Illinois legislature and in his U.S. Senate position, we would have the simple fact that he did very little that was productive while in office.

I don't think he could have pulled it off, to be perfectly honest. I believe the Democrats would have been compelled to choose somebody else, perhaps Clinton, to run.

Or [gags] Edwards
A Proud Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »

Perhaps. Maybe even bring John Kerry back for a second round. Who knows? As it happens, they managed to get it done using a man who had effectively no record, no experience, and no talents in regards to politics apart from his ability to speak at length without saying anything truly meaningful.

If nothing else, it was a neat trick. I don't think a white guy named Barry Dunham could've done it.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 08:43:29 PM »

Perhaps. Maybe even bring John Kerry back for a second round. Who knows? As it happens, they managed to get it done using a man who had effectively no record, no experience, and no talents in regards to politics apart from his ability to speak at length without saying anything truly meaningful.

If nothing else, it was a neat trick. I don't think a white guy named Barry Dunham could've done it.

probably not.  Could a WASP male Gerard Ferraro have been Walter Mondale's running mate in 1984?  Wink.  Or a Sam Palin have been McCain's in 08?  Or perhaps a white Colin Powell or Condi Rice have been quite as publicized as potential candidates, etc?  I like and respect all of these people very much, but it's true (and in Ferraro's case, admitted) that their minority status helped their national recognition; who ever wouldve heard of a certain governor by the name of Jim McGreevy had it not been for...well you know the rest
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 04:02:11 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2012, 06:00:27 AM by politicus »

probably not.  Could a WASP male Gerard Ferraro have been Walter Mondale's running mate in 1984?  Wink.  Or a Sam Palin have been McCain's in 08?  Or perhaps a white Colin Powell or Condi Rice have been quite as publicized as potential candidates, etc?  I like and respect all of these people very much, but it's true (and in Ferraro's case, admitted) that their minority majority status helped their national recognition; who ever wouldve heard of a certain governor by the name of Jim McGreevy had it not been for...well you know the rest

Get it right Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »

probably not.  Could a WASP male Gerard Ferraro have been Walter Mondale's running mate in 1984?  Wink.  Or a Sam Palin have been McCain's in 08?  Or perhaps a white Colin Powell or Condi Rice have been quite as publicized as potential candidates, etc?  I like and respect all of these people very much, but it's true (and in Ferraro's case, admitted) that their minority majority status helped their national recognition; who ever wouldve heard of a certain governor by the name of Jim McGreevy had it not been for...well you know the rest

Get it right Wink

Politically, females are in the minority; now that I think about it, she was probably the first woman who could win in the U.S....
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies