Tippecanoe and Tyler too. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:27:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Tippecanoe and Tyler too. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tippecanoe and Tyler too.  (Read 5949 times)
A Proud Republican
Rookie
United States

« on: March 22, 2012, 01:46:03 PM »
« edited: March 22, 2012, 01:52:08 PM by A Proud Republican »

Hello there.

In the General Election of 1840, William Henry Harrison became the first man to campaign for the Presidency actively. He portrayed his opponent, President Van Buren as an elitist snob, living high upon the hog on the tax payer's money.

He wasn't exactly a hobo himself, but apparently that wasn't important.

His campaign strategy of slinging mud and not even looking at the issues worked marvels. He got in by landslide numbers, 234 Electoral College votes to sixty.

Then, he died.

His replacement, John Tyler, had been chosen as Vice-President mainly to get Harrison supporters in the southern States. He was a former Democrat, a champion of States' rights, and once he was in the White House, he opposed nearly the entire Whig program.

Now, suppose President Harrison didn't die? How would his actions and policies have differed from Mr. Tyler's? Also, would he have sought a second term in 1844, and how do you think he would have done in that election, assuming he were to be nominated again.

Maps are handy for the 1844 election predictions, but not essential.
A Proud Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:51:25 PM »

The main problem was the brewing conflict between the Whig leader, Clay, and its President, my man Harrison.  If they can get past that, they should have the recipe to ensure, or at least prolong, the survival of the Whigs as a party for a few more years. In 1844 with a successful Harrison Presidency, they're set up much better for the future as a major party. In RL, both men they elected died in office. Withthis, I think they'd have mroe success, especially without the disaster in Congress that Tyler was.

Do you see them lasting perhaps long enough to have a realistic candidate in 1856, or do the Republicans still take over?
A Proud Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »

Well, in this scenario Harrison doesn't die and so Tyler's tenure in office doesn't happen, so they have Harrison to start with. The question for me would be whether or not somebody like Clay is likely to challenge him for the nomination in 1844.

Henry Clay wanted the Whig nomination bad, as I understand.
A Proud Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:30:10 PM »

Harrison promised to only serve one term if elected.  He wouldn't run for a second term unless to prevent Clay from winning it.

I hadn't known that. I have to wonder, why did he make such a promise to start with?

How long do you see the Whigs lasting, with a successful President Harrison?
A Proud Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »

Pardon me if I get carried away with this. I feel quite inspired right now. Tongue

There's certainly no need to apologize. Those last few posts are exactly the kind of speculation and writing I wanted. Very nicely done, very clear, and certainly interesting.

I like studying politics, especially the election years.
A Proud Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 11:22:23 AM »

Well then this is just the forum, and just the board, for ya! Coming up, 1856 if you don't mind. Then I'll stop.

Continue as long as you wish. 1856 should be an especially interesting year, for this scenario, considering what happened then in reality. I mean, the Whigs had pretty much fallen apart then, as my memory informs me.
A Proud Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2012, 12:01:15 PM by A Proud Republican »

Senator Stephen J. Douglas (D-IL)/Senator Charles G. Atherton (D-NH) 148 electoral votes
President John J. Crittenden (W-KY)/Vice President Millard Fillmore (W-NY) 136 electoral votes

I find that somewhat ironic. The first two Whigs to be President in this timeline don't want a second run, and when they finally find a guy who does want one, he isn't able to get one.

Funny, and also realistic.

I looked up John Crittenden. It seems he was often mentioned as a prospective candidate for the Presidency in reality, but always refused to run. These days, it's hard to imagine anybody who has been as high up as Attorney General who wouldn't leap at a chance to be elected.

Different times.
A Proud Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »

I like Crittenden, Fillmore, Van Buren, etc.  Can't you put Milly somewhere?!  Wink

I could see Fillmore being the Whig's candidate around 1860 in this timeline if President Douglas isn't doing so well by then.

I'm curious, does Lincoln still come to prominence? What about the slavery issue?

Big questions.
A Proud Republican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 01:35:43 PM »

Thanks for seeking to continue your line of thoughts on this one. They've at least averted the war, if not stopped it entirely, and the Whigs are still around in this timeline as opposed to the rise of the Republicans with Frémont.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies