Favorite president of the 19th century (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:19:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Favorite president of the 19th century (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
John Adams

Thomas Jefferson

James Madison

James Monroe

John Q. Adams

Andrew Jackson

Martin Van Buren

William Harrison

John Tyler

James Polk

Zachary Taylor

Millard Fillmore

Franklin Pierce

James Buchanan

Abraham Lincoln

Andrew Johnson

Ulysses Grant

Rutherford Hayes

James Garfield

Grover Cleveland

Benjamin Harrison

William McKinley

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Favorite president of the 19th century  (Read 4955 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« on: January 11, 2005, 11:56:53 AM »

William McKinley, i'll post my reasons soon.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 09:42:33 PM »

I say the greatest president is William McKinley. He made us a superpower (with some help of yellow journalism Smiley ) McKinley got the U.S. Puerot Rico, the Phillipines, Guam, and countless other islands through the Spanish-American War. He also opened the door with China with his, get this, "Open Door Policy." The U.S. got to dictate who got into China!

McKinley also backed sound money in the form of the Gold Standard. His administration, sometimes known as "The Second Era of Good Feelings", produced a strong economy, after a long ressesion caused by the Panic of 1893. The McKinley Years were the age of Captains of Industry, Ragtime, the Alaska Gold Rush, and the U.S. finaly became the greatest industrial power on Earth (take that England! Smiley )

McKinley also treated the presidency with great respect. He always deressed up (wearing a top hat, pinstripe pants, a starched white shirt, a silk tie, a felt over coat, and a red carnation in his lapel!) He was very kind to his wife (Ida Saxton McKinley) for she suffered from epleptic seizures. As Governor of Ohio (1894-1896) he would wave to his wife from his office window at precisely 3 O'Clock in the afternoon. As president, he broke with traditon to have his wife sit by him at state dinners. When she would have a seizure he would simply drop a soft silk napkin over her face, and tell everyone to continue chatting and eating. Some husbands complained McKinley mde them look bad.

When he was shot by Leon Czolgos, a deranged anarchist, at the Temple of Music durring the Pan-American Exposition in Bufffalo, New York, MckInley told the police to not harm his assasin! He also told his personal secretary to, "Be careful how you tell my wife, do be careful."

William McKinely has to be our best U.S
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 06:28:38 PM »

I've heard this a couple times now, but may I ask for a more in-depth explanation just how McKinley supposedly made the US an industrial superpower?

He let business be business and make it free from government intrusion.

For the 19th Century high tariffs helped American industry grow becuase it was free from foreign competition, but we were primarily America First back then.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies