Words that have no place in normal discourse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:32:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Words that have no place in normal discourse
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Words that have no place in normal discourse  (Read 3690 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2012, 08:06:39 AM »

When I looked and saw some of you folks wanting Iran to win a war against my country there were words in my mind I wanted to type- instead I was polite and only said how your comments made me think... yet I see some of you resort to immature but sometimes offensive name calling for some one who expresses a conservative belief...I wanted to start a post about words that have no place in the regular political discourse- obviously this does not apply to Klansmen or Al Qaeda or any real extreme- but to discussions on this board and with people who have differnet views then you...

Idiot
Racist
Bigot
Disgusting
Unpatriotic
Evil

And the most overused one.... Ignorant. You can disagree with my views and others but give us the courtesy to realize that I hold these views because of a lifetime of experience...just like all of you have had things happen in your lives that cause you to hold your views-

Every one should add to this list.

Disagree without being disagreeable
clarence
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:52:56 AM »

Clarence,

I do not approve using such a language in a political coversation. However, by attacking many people here as "Anti-American", you weren't much nicer.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »

Clarence, I agree with your comment on words that should not be used in political discourse, and even though I generally don't find it very useful to quote oneself, this is my opinion:

It is deplorable that many forum users in general and users of this forum in particular are often so eager to throw insults at other users or certain political/religious groups. I'm not even referring to the really severe insults, but to terms like "insane" or "idiot" that are flung around to excess. No matter what a person's opinion on a certain issue is, and no matter how articulate he or she is in expressing a particular point of view, that person should still be treated with respect. This may sound very trivial, but many people forget that when making a post.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:02:07 AM »

And how about "anti-American" while we're at it? (Unless referring to something like al-Qaeda obviously.)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:23:44 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2012, 10:27:49 AM by Senator TJ »

I would think supporting the US's enemy in a war would be anti-American by any reasonable definition.

I still don't think it's a great term to throw around, but in the case of supporting Iran at war with the US, it does apply.

It's also different from the other terms because it is primarily a political position rather than a personal insult.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »

I'm going to call disgusting things out for what they are.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:22:53 AM »

I will continue to call people who hold bigoted/racist views bigots and racists. If they are offended by this, maybe they should stop being bigots and racists.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 12:58:35 PM »

I will continue to call people who hold bigoted/racist views bigots and racists. If they are offended by this, maybe they should stop being bigots and racists.

Like, if someone advocates killing innocent people because they belong to a certain ethnic group you think it's fair to point this out? You'd never report something like that for being a personal attack, right?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »

People who are idiots, bigots, racists, disgusting souls or evil people deserve nothing less than being called as such. I won't stop calling a racist a racist just because it's 'mean'.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »

If one is an ignorant, idiotic, racist, bigoted evil a-hole, then such name-calling is justified.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »

I think you're all being too busy with being self-righteous to realize the problem here.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 02:20:42 PM »

People who are idiots, bigots, racists, disgusting souls or evil people deserve nothing less than being called as such. I won't stop calling a racist a racist just because it's 'mean'.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 02:32:13 PM »

Play on names... Obumbler, Obongo, Romoney, c**ntlin, Santorum, etc.

Oh and "sheeple."
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 03:03:50 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2012, 03:10:15 PM by fezzyfestoon »

I hate the concept that apparently a political view can't be criticized for being ignorant or bigoted because "it's just my opinion" and that needs to be respected because it's a free country and everyone's beliefs are equal. And at the same time we're not supposed to use inflammatory words or phrases, we're allowed to hold views that are perfect examples of them. As long as no one points it out and the wording is "nice", ignorance and bigotry are ok.

The general prevailing concepts of respecting things for the sake of being respectful, the devaluing and overvaluing of simple words, and the apparent need to model political discourse off the absurd, semantics-based system of lies our politicians operate on is just lazy and completely ignorant. All our values seem to be either mixed up, misplaced, or made up in this country. It's embarrassing.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »

Hey, I like that one! Tongue
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »

I think you're all being too busy with being self-righteous to realize the problem here.

Thread won.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »

Thread won.

Nope. If someone has won the thread, it's certainly Fezzy.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 03:36:53 PM »

Is Gustaf really criticizing people for being self-righteous?

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 04:39:03 PM »

Conservatism is an extreme ideology. If you've come to it through a "lifetime of experience", then your lifetime has consisted of starting off with a belief that has been reinforced by a lifetime of only taking into consideration opinions that back up those beliefs.

Now that you have found a forum of differing opinions, you have been exposed to all sorts of contrary arguments. Certainly not opinions you would find much of in the military or rural Florida. I think you are experiencing a backlash in your mind to all of these opinions and are looking for a way to fight back.

Well, I'm sorry for the rhetoric that we've exposed you to, but it's the same type of rhetoric used be the right that has helped to reinforce your very own opinions throughout the years.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 04:48:32 PM »

lol Conservatism is extreme? Pure stupidity.

I rather be "extreme" than being a know it all liberal...
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »

Klecly- I wouldn't call Hatman's post stupid as that is what I am trying to work against... but I agree conservatism can not be considered an extreme ideology...this argument loses you credibility, Hatman

I enjoy reading or hearing liberals preach about how we must not be intolerant when speaking of Sharia law for example and then dismiss an entire ideology...you did not do that here Hatman but it is commonplace for liberals to be very accepting of intolerance from our enemies yet be intolerant of those with differnet views in the political discourse...

I agree fundamentally with two things Bill Maher said when he was discussing radical Islam. One is- "our values are not just different- they are BETTER" and the second is- "we can not be so tolerant that we tolerate intolerance." These are not exact quotes but you get the point.  I've gone off on a tangent here but if liberals want to be so tolerant they ought to have that attitude towards those of us on the conservative side-

Also- I am adding another word to the list- FASCIST
I have seen the Pledge of Allegiance, school vouchers, conscription, and other policies refered to as fascist...in a fascist country people are killed for who they are or what they believe, families are torn apart, people are not free in any sense of the word... nothing in the normal political discourse from the left or the right is anywhere near being fascist...
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »

Enjoying having conversations with people who don't post here? If you want your views to be respected, open them up for conversation rather than sit here shouting them with your eyes closed and ears covered. Having views does not give you the automatic right to respect just for having them.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »

Enjoying having conversations with people who don't post here? If you want your views to be respected, open them up for conversation rather than sit here shouting them with your eyes closed and ears covered. Having views does not give you the automatic right to respect just for having them.
1- I disagree with your last statement provided the views do not discriminate or seek to harm innocent people
2- When have I not opened up my views for conversation???
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 05:25:34 PM »

Let me consult the Boston Consulting Matrix for any I left out.

You are gonna get massive death points Tongue
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »

Fezzy and Earl have won the thread. Congratulations guys, please collect your prizes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies