ABCNews/WaPo: Romney leads by 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:06:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  ABCNews/WaPo: Romney leads by 2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ABCNews/WaPo: Romney leads by 2  (Read 3461 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:52:51 AM »

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/12/poll-tight-race-for-obama-vs-romney-santorum/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/03/election-expectations-move-obamas-way-yet-rising-gas-prices-fuel-gop-pushback/

Yet the hurdles for Obama remain serious. His support against Romney has pulled back: After a 51-45 percent reading last month, Obama and Romney now stand at 47-49 percent among registered voters. And it’s 49-46 percent matching Obama against Rick Santorum. Those mark a scant 4-point gain in support for Romney vs. Obama, and a 5-point gain for Santorum.

cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:24:45 AM »

This is basically the same as Scotty's recent national tracking poll.  But what states are these people living in?  Obama continues to win every possible swing state.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »

This is basically the same as Scotty's recent national tracking poll.  But what states are these people living in?  Obama continues to win every possible swing state.

It's a junk poll.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:48:45 AM »

It's a junk poll.

Lol!
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:41:25 AM »

It's a junk poll.

Lol!

Are you going to answer cavalcade's question?
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:11:13 PM »

This is basically the same as Scotty's recent national tracking poll.  But what states are these people living in?  Obama continues to win every possible swing state.

It's a junk poll.

Lol!

Everytime there's a poll that has Obama behind, the Democrats on these forums says its junk.  Yet when there's other polls that poll more Democrats than Republicans, they don't say anything.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:42:48 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2012, 12:47:04 PM by krazen1211 »

This is basically the same as Scotty's recent national tracking poll.  But what states are these people living in?  Obama continues to win every possible swing state.

It's a junk poll.

Lol!

Err, I didn't write the poll. The same ABCNews poll was considered to be a solid poll (or at least not a 'junk poll!') just a month ago!

But I would presume that these people live in the 50 US states in rough proportion to the population of each state and that Obama is not actually 'winning every possible swing state'.

Indeed, the last month or so of polling has shown Romney performing at least adequately in some polls Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and North Carolina. Those polls are dismissed as 'junk polls!' in rapid frequency of course.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2012, 01:00:33 PM by diskymike44 »

Junk poll because state polls matter only.
ajb
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 01:05:13 PM »

I don't think there are junk polls. There are junk pollsters -- notably those who've been caught simply making numbers up without phoning anyone. There are also pollsters who have a history of being off (fivethirtyeight has good data on this). But beyond that, you just have a bunch of different methodologies, each of which is likely to be more accurate some of the time.
Rasmussen, for example, weights by party ID, which guarantees more stable numbers than some pollsters, at the expense of being slow to pick up on changes in party ID and enthusiasm. Others have their own quirks. Averaging polls makes a lot more sense than taking every new poll that comes along, and either identifying it as a major new trend, or dismissing it as junk.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 01:27:56 PM »

He probably is leading at the moment. The campaign has been relatively quiet in recent weeks and gas prices are dragging down the President.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2012, 01:46:58 PM by Tall Trees & Tasty Grits »

Losing Hispanics by 70% and all of the swing states and you still manage a two-point lead?  Haha, okay.  Thanks, Washington Post.  Santorum's numbers alone pretty much debunk the whole thing.

Junk.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2012, 02:00:37 PM by Nathan »

This is basically the same as Scotty's recent national tracking poll.  But what states are these people living in?  Obama continues to win every possible swing state.

It's a junk poll.

Lol!

Err, I didn't write the poll. The same ABCNews poll was considered to be a solid poll (or at least not a 'junk poll!') just a month ago!

But I would presume that these people live in the 50 US states in rough proportion to the population of each state and that Obama is not actually 'winning every possible swing state'.

Indeed, the last month or so of polling has shown Romney performing at least adequately in some polls Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and North Carolina. Those polls are dismissed as 'junk polls!' in rapid frequency of course.

Romney is either statistically tying the President or polling in the teens among Hispanics. He's not doing both. 'At least adequately' in those states does not translate to winning in any of the polls that I've been seeing, good ones or not, except for in Florida and North Carolina well over a month ago. Those states are necessary for Romney but not actually necessary for the President.

It's entirely possible that Romney is statistically tying the President among all groups averaged and thrown together nationwide, but it does not appear to be translating into the numbers he needs in critical states or demographics.
ajb
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 01:56:02 PM »

It's a junk poll.

Lol!

Romney is either statistically tying the President or polling in the teens among Hispanics. He's not doing both.

And we'll never know which was true.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 01:58:30 PM »

It's a junk poll.

Lol!

Romney is either statistically tying the President or polling in the teens among Hispanics. He's not doing both.

Unless Obama actually does clobber Romney among Hispanics, but even then it's got to tighten at least a little bit from 70-14 over the next eight months.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 02:04:46 PM »

This is basically the same as Scotty's recent national tracking poll.  But what states are these people living in?  Obama continues to win every possible swing state.

It's a junk poll.

Lol!

Romney is either statistically tying the President or polling in the teens among Hispanics. He's not doing both. 'At least adequately' in those states does not translate to winning in any of the polls that I've been seeing, good ones or not, except for in Florida and North Carolina well over a month ago. Those states are necessary for Romney but not actually necessary for the President.

Romney was leading in Iowa, Virginia and Pennsylvania in these polls within the past month or so. Neither state has a large population of Hispanics, and Florida has a very different batch of Hispanics that know and like Romney well.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=149831.0
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=149214.0
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=148662.0
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2012, 02:11:43 PM by Nathan »

Ha-ha. Oh, man, I forgot about that Iowa poll. Good times, man, good times.

Nice job finding distinctly minority-report polls in states where all the other recent polling has shown the President ahead. I'm not denying that Romney could in fact be statistically tied with the President. I'm saying that if so that mates oddly with much of the other stuff we've been seeing.
ajb
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »

It's a junk poll.

Lol!

Unless Obama actually does clobber Romney among Hispanics, but even then it's got to tighten at least a little bit from 70-14 over the next eight months.

Even if the exit poll results are exactly the same as this poll (and they won't be, because that extra 16% has to go somewhere), we'll never know if this poll was absolutely dead-on, and voter opinions never changed, or if it was completely out to lunch, and voter opinions just happened to shift so as to match that result eight months from now.

Polls are a snapshot taken at a  particular moment, using a particular set of assumptions. We can't know how opinion will evolve in the meantime, and we won't know till after the fact whose assumptions were right. That's why it's best not to get too excited, one way or the other, over any poll.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »

Well, yeah, obviously. And I can certainly see why Romney would further deteriorate among Hispanics between now and November.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »

Nice job finding distinctly minority-report polls in states where all the other recent polling has shown the President ahead. I'm not denying that Romney could in fact be statistically tied with the President. I'm saying that if so that mates oddly with much of the other stuff we've been seeing.

Oh, the 'outlier!' cry would certainly be more acceptable here. 'Junk poll!' is merely amusing given that this pollster was not junk 30 days ago when obama was leading by 5 or 6.

This is of course why.

In February's WaPo/ABC poll, self-identified Democrats outnumbered Republicans by 11 percentage points, 34%-23%, with 37% identifying themselves as independents.
But in the latest poll, Democrats outnumber Republicans, 31%-27% -- so a seven-point swing.
ajb
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »

Oh, the 'outlier!' cry would certainly be more acceptable here. 'Junk poll!' is merely amusing given that this pollster was not junk 30 days ago when obama was leading by 5 or 6.

This is of course why.

In February's WaPo/ABC poll, self-identified Democrats outnumbered Republicans by 11 percentage points, 34%-23%, with 37% identifying themselves as independents.
But in the latest poll, Democrats outnumber Republicans, 31%-27% -- so a seven-point swing.

For reference, in the 2008 exit polls, voters were at 39D-32R-29I. In the 2010 midterms, the numbers were 35D-35R-29I.
A pollster who doesn't weight for partisan ID will have partisan ID numbers that swing around like that, which some may view as a problem. Weighting for partisan ID reduces the swing, but at the risk of missing out on actual shifts in how voters feel.
There's also room for debate about what the likely composition of the electorate will be in November -- obviously, the more it looks like 2008, the better for the Democrats. But we don't know much yet about who will actually turn out to vote, since a lot of the events motivating turnout haven't happened yet.
Ben Romney
Hillary2012
Germany

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »

LOL it`s a D+4 poll

in the best case R and D are tied so amke the math!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 04:23:39 PM »

Very hard to believe.
CaDan
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 05:10:39 PM »

It's a junk poll.

Lol!

Everytime there's a poll that has Obama behind, the Democrats on these forums says its junk.  Yet when there's other polls that poll more Democrats than Republicans, they don't say anything.

WIN!
ajb
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »

It's a junk poll.

Lol!

WIN!
Pollsters should poll more Democrats than Republicans, since there are more Democrats than there are Republicans.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »

It's a junk poll.

Lol!

WIN!
Pollsters should poll more Democrats than Republicans, since there are more Democrats than there are Republicans.
That doesn't make the process fair, and it's skewed incorrectly.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies