Do you have a NOAA weather radio?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 08:06:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do you have a NOAA weather radio?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you have a NOAA weather radio?
Yes

No

No, but I will buy one after seeing this poll!

Non-American/Canadian

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Do you have a NOAA weather radio?  (Read 1449 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:15:02 AM »

Curious how many of the people on this forum have weather radios.  As far as I know, only NOAA, and Environment Canada use them (but if a European has one, let me know).  If you don't, and you live somewhere that receives severe weather (pretty much everywhere), I'd encourage you to get one.  They're cheap, and they really do save lives.  I love watching tornadoes, but now that we're entering severe weather season, it tears my heart to see people die because of weather-related disasters.

But ultimately, I consider most of this forum pretty smart, so I'm curious how much of the "more educated" part of America/Canada has invested in this.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:38:15 AM »

No, I live in the Northwest(no severe weather).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:43:20 AM »

While the Northwest doesn't often have sever weather, you should never say "no severe weather".  Even Washington gets tornaodes.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:47:20 AM »

While the Northwest doesn't often have sever weather, you should never say "no severe weather".  Even Washington gets tornaodes.

Yes, and they also have an active disaster declaration. 

NOAA will also broadcast post event information.  This is important because the area has a lot of geothermal activity- earthquakes, volcanoes (Mt St Helens) and is in danger for a major Tsunami event.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 01:07:01 AM »

Yes, but it's a very negligible chance. Considering that I'm interested in weather, if there is a chance of severe weather I would be refreshing NWS page every few minutes anyway if there possibility of severe weather.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:10:57 AM »

Yes, but it's a very negligible chance. Considering that I'm interested in weather, if there is a chance of severe weather I would be refreshing NWS page every few minutes anyway if there possibility of severe weather.

Fair enough.  Although, if you're on the coast, I'd encourage you to get one for the tsunami risk.  But it's good to see another politically involved person interested in weather.  For some reason, the two share a high correlation, and I'm not sure why (that'd make for an interesting study).
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:16:15 AM »

Fair enough.  Although, if you're on the coast, I'd encourage you to get one for the tsunami risk.  But it's good to see another politically involved person interested in weather.  For some reason, the two share a high correlation, and I'm not sure why (that'd make for an interesting study).
I live at 200feet couple miles North of downtown Seattle during school year and Eastern Washington in the summer. At least Eastern Washington gets a couple good storms per summer, couple summers ago we actually get a decent storm line that had 5-6 or warnings with it and dropped 2-3" of rain and thousands of lightning strikes. Probably one of the few times I don't regret staying up till 3am.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:51:19 AM »

I have one, though I doubt there will be any important messages to receive from it where I live. More than anything it is just out of habit since in Minnesota I went through quite a lot of severe thunderstorms and a family cabin got beaten up a bit by trees felled by 104 mph straight-line wind a few years back. Better to be safe than sorry while enjoying the magic of extraordinary weather.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:43:46 AM »

I have one, but never use it.  Tornadoes are a WAY overblown threat in most places that are considered heavy tornado country.  There have been 3 deaths in Douglas County Nebraska (the one I live in and the most populous in the state by far) since 1956.  And those were in the same tornado.  Driving on the sh**tty winter roads is much more dangerous.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »

I've got a couple of radios that can pick up weather bands, but its not something I listen to unless I'm out on the water
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »

I have one somewhere but I haven't used it in years.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »

I have one, and I was actually listening to it when a tornado passed about eight miles north of my house in Connecticut.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 05:02:48 PM »

No. How is it any different from listening to the weather reports on the regular radio?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »

I'm not sure whether it is a "NOAA" weather radio, as the thing is from the 40's (my grandfather got it from WWII during/after his Navy service) but it's a weather radio and it works.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 03:34:14 AM »

I'm not sure what sort of severe weather we get here.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 07:25:24 PM »

No, because I fail to see which kind of severe weather my area in Northern Quebec can get.
Way too north for tornadoes, way too far from water for tsunamis, not a windy area and snowstorms are common here, there aren't severe weather.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 07:41:02 PM »

No, because I fail to see which kind of severe weather my area in Northern Quebec can get.
Way too north for tornadoes, way too far from water for tsunamis, not a windy area and snowstorms are common here, there aren't severe weather.
You can probably still get some pretty decently strong t-storms that have strong winds/hail. I doubt the radio would help much, if you really live in Northern Quebec, I am guessing there isn't radar coverage. There actually isn't any radar coverage in central Oregon, which gets the most severe weather in Northwest, and has 1 or 2 really strong storms come through Bend/Redmond every summer. I can't complain though, we finally got our coastal radar.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 08:35:24 PM »

You can probably still get some pretty decently strong t-storms that have strong winds/hail. I doubt the radio would help much, if you really live in Northern Quebec, I am guessing there isn't radar coverage. There actually isn't any radar coverage in central Oregon, which gets the most severe weather in Northwest, and has 1 or 2 really strong storms come through Bend/Redmond every summer. I can't complain though, we finally got our coastal radar.

Northern, but not that northern. I live in the southern tier of Quebec, but my area is called northern because nobody lives in the other two tiers. We got hail last year, for the first tme of my life, which was pretty big (one inch ice balls). It was sunny, we were outside on our lawn, it suddently began to be cloudy and rain and as soon we entered house with the chairs, it began. It was very sudden, a radio wasn't useful. Well, the weather channel on TV had an alert of thunderstorm, but it has one each time thunderstorms are possible. But there is no danger when it is sunny and we are in the house when it's raining.

So, I don't see what the radio can add.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 08:51:35 PM »

Have a radio that has the weather band on it, but where I live I can't pick up any of the transmitters on it so I haven't gone out and bought one of the ones that can turn itself on if an alert is issued, since there would be no point.

The main advantage of a weather radio is if you get the ones that will turn themselves on if a warning is issued for your area.  If a dangerous storm powerful enough to damage your home crops up while you are sleeping, it can alert you to that fact in time for you to take cover.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 11:48:53 PM »

No. How is it any different from listening to the weather reports on the regular radio?

It will sound an alert when the National Weather Service issues watches or warnings.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »

Have a radio that has the weather band on it, but where I live I can't pick up any of the transmitters on it so I haven't gone out and bought one of the ones that can turn itself on if an alert is issued, since there would be no point.

The main advantage of a weather radio is if you get the ones that will turn themselves on if a warning is issued for your area.  If a dangerous storm powerful enough to damage your home crops up while you are sleeping, it can alert you to that fact in time for you to take cover.

Where in South Carolina are you?  There's pretty much nowhere in SC that doesn't get coverage...
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 11:58:05 PM »

Yes, I also have an alert on my phone that goes off even if my phone is silent. It's pretty nifty, but it's only set to go off during a Severe Thunderstorm Warning or Tornado Warning.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 06:21:32 PM »

Saw this map today and thought some people here might be interested.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 06:38:29 PM »

Saw this map today and thought some people here might be interested.

That's pretty neat.  Oddly enough, IDV is a software we use for meteorology (although not the same IDV as that site).  I think it's crap, and I use a different software, so when I saw that, I thought, "Wow, that's pretty good looking for IDV!"  Then I realized it wasn't what I thought it was.  Still... a neat map, and a reminder that severe weather can happen almost anywhere.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »

Yes. Floridian.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies