I might be about to get the ACLU to go after my school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 06:07:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I might be about to get the ACLU to go after my school
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I might be about to get the ACLU to go after my school  (Read 2625 times)
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »

My school barely avoided this situation.  It's now the 3rd or 4th largest club in my mainly conservative high school. lol.
Conservative high school is almost an oxymoron. My suburban high school voted 60-65% for Obama(can't remember) in Richland, WA, which probably votedat least 60% Republican.

By conservative I mean at least 40% republican. Almost 55% of our student government here are conservatives.

My high school is FAR from the average HS  btw.

Well what I mean is that probably over 90% of high schools in US voted for the democratic candidate, considering that I lived in one of the most conservative areas in Washington that's like R+20, and the school body still voted democratic.

I live in teh south Tongue
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »

I understand a club for gay students but what exactly is a "Gay-Straight Alliance"?
A club that both gays and straights join, I guess to show that they get along.  Colleges probably like that.

What do they... y'know... do, though?

Mostly talk about "gay issues," like coming out and discrimination and whatnot. My college's gay straight alliance ran a anonymous hotline for at-risk gay youth to call. Others plan "gay proms" and similar things.

Basically, it's just a collection of gay folks (and their allies) who work to make sure that at least someone, even if it's a dorky club, is acting in the gays' best interest.

Pretty much. They actually do really good, often actually pretty unobjectionable work, and a lot of them are self-aware as to the absurdity of the name.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 07:02:09 PM »

My school barely avoided this situation.  It's now the 3rd or 4th largest club in my mainly conservative high school. lol.
Conservative high school is almost an oxymoron. My suburban high school voted 60-65% for Obama(can't remember) in Richland, WA, which probably votedat least 60% Republican.

By conservative I mean at least 40% republican. Almost 55% of our student government here are conservatives.

Well what I mean is that probably over 90% of high schools in US voted for the democratic candidate, considering that I lived in one of the most conservative areas in Washington that's like R+20, and the school body still voted democratic.

So you are saying kids are more likely to take on their parents views in the South?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »

So you are saying kids are more likely to take on their parents views in the South?

From my experience growing up in Oklahoma I can say this isn't as true as one would think.
Especially on gay issues.  ESPECIALLY.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 10:27:49 PM »

My school should get one so I can join it for kicks. Seeing those people work their hearts out for such issues would make some amusing stories.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies