1976 and On
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:43:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976 and On
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: 1976 and On  (Read 22443 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »

Cry.  Why must the old be forced into retirement!

I know, but I have some ideas for the future of this timeline that make this necessary...

I understand Wink.  Looking forward to next update.  And seeing Jessie Helms
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2012, 11:29:11 PM »

Sadly, I think he's on another TL right now.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »

A Wonderful Time to be Alive!

President Bob Dole took office with a booming economy at home and world moving towards peace. "He stands at the peak of American prestige" Vice President Jack Kemp declared. The Republican name is solid, our policies are popular and it appears that for once American can look to the future with great confidence."

Dole's first year in office saw the starts of his efforts to downsize the Department of Education, streamline government and continue the Reagan policy of lower taxes and lower spending. One of the first piece of prominent legislation he signed was the Balanced Budget Agreement, a measure he took great pride in signing. On the campaign trail he pledged to continue Reagan's military build up, though as President Dole sought to move away from the former; given the changes in the world political scene.

"This is an unprecedented boom in our nation's history. Our economy is growing at a tremendous rate, not seen in peace time. Our unemployment is done, inflation is done and everyone is confident about tomorrow and beyond, and I can say it is nothing I have done, and it is nothing that the government has done. It is you, the people who are responsible for this great time in our nation's history."

Dole saw his popularity soar throughout 1989, but his advisors were cautious. "It could drop at any moment. One misstep." Yet the misstep did not come. In late 1989, Dole received the greatest news of any incumbent President during the Cold War. The will of the people and the great strength of freedom endured and the Berlin Wall came crumbling down.

Though Dole took no credit for the fall of the Berlin Wall, he did praise the continued strength and resolve of the American Presidents, including his predecessor Ronald Reagan. In a speech to the nation Dole did cite we called the next step, "With the Fall of the Berlin Wall, the cause of freedom has won, and with that victory we are witnessing the end of Communism."

"A new era for the world is starting and we are fortunate enough to be alive to witness it."

With the Wall coming down and communism on it's last legs, Dole looked to his Soviet counterpart as a way of looking towards a new world order that would likely exist once the Soviet Union gave out.

"The Soviet Union was on it's last legs, the wall coming down only cemented it. It was not a question of if, but when." -- CIA Dir. Dick Cheney.

"The President understood the importance of working with Gorbachev, not rubbing it in his face, like some politicians thought he should. Instead he knew that he needed Gorbachev's cooperation ins building a transition from one world structure to the next." -- Sec. of State Eagleburger.

With stability at home and assured peace coming, Dole's approval ratings stood high, and while it was still early and he refused to count his chickens before they hatched, most believed the President was headed towards a landslide reelection, perhaps unlike anything seen in American political history.

Dole Approval Rating:
Approve: 69%
Disapprove: 25%

As 1990 got underway, Pres. Dole prepared for his first official meeting with Gorbachev as President of the United States. "Now we will work to build up for peace, not build up for arms."

Early Match ups:

Dole v. Ferraro:
Dole: 55%
Ferraro: 39%

Dole v. Clinton:
Dole: 58%
Clinton: 39%

Dole v. Gephardt:
Dole: 58%
Gephardt: 36%

Dole v. Jackson:
Dole: 60%
Jackson: 35%

Dole v. Kennedy:
Dole: 59%
Kennedy: 37%

"These polls mean nothing. Wait until about ten months after the midterms and then we'll talk. " -- DNC Chair Ron Brown.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2012, 01:53:03 PM »

I actually think that Brooke was more conservative than people think.  I would've voted for him over Jimmy Carter.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2012, 06:40:34 PM »

I actually think that Brooke was more conservative than people think.  I would've voted for him over Jimmy Carter.

I wouldn't have.  He was liberal enough, and vs Carter he'd be about the same.  Better a democrat takes responsibility when his policies come crashing down, for a GOP landslide come midterm time
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2012, 07:08:38 PM »

I would argue that most of the time, the worst Republican is better than the best Democrat, in the words of Democrat-turned-Republican Dick Morris.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2012, 08:41:56 PM »

I would argue that most of the time, the worst Republican is better than the best Democrat, in the words of Democrat-turned-Republican Dick Morris.

If this isn't a hack quote, I don't know what is...words of "wisdom" from Dick Morris. LOL. Practically an oxymoron.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »

I'm not sure about that.  That's like saying that Jacob Javits is better than Mark Warner, Jim Webb, or Harry Byrd, Jr.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »

Half a loaf is better than no bread.  I'd rather have a moderate/liberal "RINO" Republican than a liberal Democrat.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2012, 11:29:31 AM »

I'm not sure about that.  That's like saying that Jacob Javits is better than Mark Warner, Jim Webb, or Harry Byrd, Jr.

Good point. Or like saying Earl Warren, Jim Jeffords, or Nelson Rockefeller is better than Joe Lieberman, Zell Miller or Henry Jackson
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2012, 05:33:30 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

I'm a conservative, and the truth is, there is really no such thing as a conservative Democrat anymore.  Unless you're an Indepemdent, you're either a liberal Obama/Pelosi/Reid Democrat, or you're a Republican.  I'm just sayng that the Republicans need to reclaim their heritage not just as the Party of Lincoln, Goldwater, and Reagan, but also as the Party of Thaddeus Stevens, Charles Sumner, Theodore Roosevelt, and Nelson Rockefeller.  The positions that ate considered "liberal" or "conservative" change over time with society.  In other words, the liberals and conservatives of 50 or 100 years ago would not necessarily fit the contemporary definitions of political liberals or conservatives because of the ways sociey has changed in that time.  Ironically enough, for most of our nation's history, the Republicans would have been considered the liberals in regard to social issues, such as supporting the passage of civil rights laws and women's suffrage.  Based on the standards of that time, I would have been considered a liberal then, but based on today's standards, I would be considered a conservative (and I pride myself on that.)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2012, 05:37:16 PM »

I'm a conservative, and the truth is, there is really no such thing as a conservative Democrat anymore.  Unless you're an Indepemdent, you're either a liberal Obama/Pelosi/Reid Democrat, or you're a Republican.  I'm just sayng that the Republicans need to reclaim their heritage not just as the Party of Lincoln, Goldwater, and Reagan, but also as the Party of Thaddeus Stevens, Charles Sumner, Theodore Roosevelt, and Nelson Rockefeller.  The positions that ate considered "liberal" or "conservative" change over time with society.  In other words, the liberals and conservatives of 50 or 100 years ago would not necessarily fit the contemporary definitions of political liberals or conservatives because of the ways sociey has changed in that time.  Ironically enough, for most of our nation's history, the Republicans would have been considered the liberals in regard to social issues, such as supporting the passage of civil rights laws and women's suffrage.  Based on the standards of that time, I would have been considered a liberal then, but based on today's standards, I would be considered a conservative (and I pride myself on that.)

This is true, but there liberal Repubs.  So would you vote for Joe Liberman/Russ Feingold/Brian Schweitzer or Susan Collins/Olympia Snowe?  Would you consider the former more conservative (in Feingolds case libertarian) than the latter?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2012, 08:51:43 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Is Russ Feingold really conservative?  I like Joe Lieberman, but he's a liberal on everything except defended/foreign policy issues.  I'd probably vote for Susan Colon's or Olympia Snow before any of those guys except Lieberman.  I would consider them to be moderate Republicans, not liberal ones.  Nowadays, the most liberal Republican is usually to the right of even the most conservative Democrat.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »

Is Russ Feingold really conservative?  I like Joe Lieberman, but he's a liberal on everything except defended/foreign policy issues.  I'd probably vote for Susan Colon's or Olympia Snow before any of those guys except Lieberman.  I would consider them to be moderate Republicans, not liberal ones.  Nowadays, the most liberal Republican is usually to the right of even the most conservative Democrat.

Feingold is a libertarian.  Both the Maine ladies are pro-choice, Snowe adamantly so.  Snowe also considered voting for Obamacare, and supported elements of the bill, as well as a public option
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2012, 02:51:21 PM »

Feingold is a libertarian. 
If you consider supporting single-payer healthcare libertarian, maybe.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »

Feingold is a libertarian. 
If you consider supporting single-payer healthcare libertarian, maybe.

I mean on civil liberties.  He was the only 1 of 100 senators who voted against PATRIOT ACT in 01
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »

I would've definitely supported Carter over the liberal Brooke in '76. Carter was more moderate than the standard liberal (back then) & during his presidency, a lot of deregulation happened & he appointed Volcker.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2012, 01:41:08 AM »

I would've definitely supported Carter over the liberal Brooke in '76. Carter was more moderate than the standard liberal (back then) & during his presidency, a lot of deregulation happened & he appointed Volcker.

And if Brooke won, there's no way we'd get Reagan, or any real republican until the 90s
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies