Is the USA more socially conservative than in the 1970s?

(1/2) > >>

scorpiogurl:
As someone who grew up in the 1970s and perceived the USA from a far as the "flag bearer" of great social liberalism and individuality, I now find my perception is of a somewhat socially conservative country (I have never visited the USA.....so my perceptions could be wrong).

Is this the case in reality?

If the USA has moved to the right on social issues in the past 30 years, when much of the democratic western world has moved to the left.......why is this? and why the discrepancy between Western Europe and the USA?

As a counter thread to this discussion, it has always intrigued me that church attendance in the USA is so high in comparison to other Western European democracies which are nominally christian (excepting the Republic of Ireland)? Does anyone have any thoughts on why there is such a difference?

Akno21:
Yet was there the same push for gay marriage in the 1970's that there is now?

Heck, in some places, the bigger controversy over the Terrell Owens MNF skit would be that the woman was white, not that her back was showing.

scorpiogurl:
Quote from: Akno21 on January 09, 2005, 11:50:52 AM

Heck, in some places, the bigger controversy over the Terrell Owens MNF skit would be that the woman was white, not that her back was showing.

OK maybe my perceptions are wrong!!!

Regarding gay marriage......is the USA the "flag bearer" for this issue.....I believe in the Netherlands it may already be legal....in this case the USA following a trend???

Akno21:
Quote from: scorpiogurl on January 09, 2005, 11:55:30 AM

Quote from: Akno21 on January 09, 2005, 11:50:52 AM

OK maybe my perceptions are wrong!!!

Regarding gay marriage......is the USA the "flag bearer" for this issue.....I believe in the Netherlands it may already be legal....in this case the USA following a trend???

No, we are not. Well, some of us are. Most of us aren't.

A18:
The terms "liberal" and "conservative" have become so misused it's not worth trying to have a discussion with them.

The laws here are oppressive and have been for some time. Automatic weapons are illegal. You can't hire who you please, and you can't pay people different wages for the same work. People can sue you in court for discriminating against them.

Compared to the 1970s, we are neither more or less free socially.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page