Teddy in 1920
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:57:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Teddy in 1920
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Teddy in 1920  (Read 885 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:07:33 PM »

Many althistorians like to speculate about if TR won the election in 1912 as a Progressive, but few really delve into the realm of having him run in 1908, or winning the GOP nomination in 1912.  Fewer still talk about him winning in 1920 (as he almost definitely would have) as a Republican; bear in mind that Teddy was the frontrunner for the nomination until his death in 1919.  What if he hadn't caught those diseases on his safari?  What would be the resulting mark on American history, and how would he rule after Wilson?  Who would be his VP?  Discuss.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:11:06 PM »

Ugh, nightmare scenario for our poor 1920s residents.  Only positive effect I can think of is that the Democrats might become good again.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »

He most likely would have won in a landslide and serve at least thru 1924. He most likely would have choose Warren Harding as his VP. Cox/Roosevelt would have been the Democratic Ticket I believe and the campaign would have been an interesting one.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:23:15 PM »

He most likely would have won in a landslide and serve at least thru 1924. He most likely would have choose Warren Harding as his VP. Cox/Roosevelt would have been the Democratic Ticket I believe and the campaign would have been an interesting one.

One Roosevelt vs. another!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:24:28 PM »

Ugh, nightmare scenario for our poor 1920s residents.  Only positive effect I can think of is that the Democrats might become good again.

It would likely be a dystopia, unless TR serves 2 terms, with Coolidge as VP, with either Coolidge or Smith or Davis winning in 1928.
Deano1001
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:31:36 PM »

1920 was effectively a referendum on the Wilson administration, particularly the foreign policy. Roosevelt was in no means an isolationist, but he was a very popular President. It's a sketchy subject, but I think a GOP victory was inevitable. You'll probably see a isolationist VP on the ticket like Hiram Johnson (which would be his exact ticket from the Progressive Party in 1912).
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 02:46:57 AM »

1920 was effectively a referendum on the Wilson administration, particularly the foreign policy. Roosevelt was in no means an isolationist, but he was a very popular President. It's a sketchy subject, but I think a GOP victory was inevitable. You'll probably see a isolationist VP on the ticket like Hiram Johnson (which would be his exact ticket from the Progressive Party in 1912).

Okay, so what if Johnson heads the ticket, with TR backing out of the race, endorsing the Boy Governor?  Who does he pick as VP, and does this lead to a conservative Democratic nominee?
Michaelf7777777
Rookie
New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 01:05:43 AM »

The first important thing to consider is that FDR will not be the Democrat Vice Presidental nominee as he was only chosen by Cox in the OTL because of hopes that his name would appeal to Progressive Republicans annoyed at the nomination of the conservative Harding. With Teddy getting the nomination I think Cox will go the other way trying to win the votes of conservatives by nominating Ambassador to the UK John W. Davis as his running mate. Roosevelt in an attmpt to win the support of isolationists nominates Senator Hiram Johnson of California who voted against US entry into the League of Nations as his running mate.

Cox picks up Ohio and Tennessee in addition to original timeline results but Rossevelt/Johnson still win 368-163
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 01:35:37 AM »

The first important thing to consider is that FDR will not be the Democrat Vice Presidental nominee as he was only chosen by Cox in the OTL because of hopes that his name would appeal to Progressive Republicans annoyed at the nomination of the conservative Harding. With Teddy getting the nomination I think Cox will go the other way trying to win the votes of conservatives by nominating Ambassador to the UK John W. Davis as his running mate. Roosevelt in an attmpt to win the support of isolationists nominates Senator Hiram Johnson of California who voted against US entry into the League of Nations as his running mate.

Cox picks up Ohio and Tennessee in addition to original timeline results but Rossevelt/Johnson still win 368-163

Will teddy push for the league?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies