Issue you disagree with the other party on the most (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:22:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Issue you disagree with the other party on the most (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Issue you disagree with the other party on the most  (Read 126248 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: January 07, 2005, 09:49:30 PM »

I disagree with the premise, effectively put forth by the Democrats, that society should hold "minorities" to a lower standard of behavior than white people, and that those who don't subscribe to this theory are racist.  I think the reverse is true.

I also disagree, as J.J. said, that every problem can be solved by writing a check.

One of the greatest dangers of our age is the use of unelected judges, some of whom are little more than black-robed dictators, to establish a tyranny of the minority (opinion, not ethnic).

While our constitution establishes certain absolute rights that are not subordinate to the will of the majority, contemporary courts have gone too far in delineating those protections, in my opinion, and it is hurting the vast majority of people in society.  The Democrats have encouraged this trend in my opinion, and it is one of the reasons that I can't bring myself to support the Democrats in anything but local elections.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 10:27:23 PM »

I disagree with the premise, effectively put forth by the Democrats, that society should hold "minorities" to a lower standard of behavior than white people, and that those who don't subscribe to this theory are racist.  I think the reverse is true.

I also disagree, as J.J. said, that every problem can be solved by writing a check.

One of the greatest dangers of our age is the use of unelected judges, some of whom are little more than black-robed dictators, to establish a tyranny of the minority (opinion, not ethnic).

While our constitution establishes certain absolute rights that are not subordinate to the will of the majority, contemporary courts have gone too far in delineating those protections, in my opinion, and it is hurting the vast majority of people in society.  The Democrats have encouraged this trend in my opinion, and it is one of the reasons that I can't bring myself to support the Democrats in anything but local elections.

If a poor black was caught doing the things Bush has been caught doing, he'd be completely screwed. There is a double-standard, the more powerful you are, the more you can get away with. Who voted for this inside tradiing drunk driving moron, anyways?

Your issue is with wealth, not race.  Look at O.J.  Or are you one of those who thinks he'll find Nicole's "real" killer on some golf course?

Then of course there's Ted Kennedy, another shining example of using money to buy your way out of trouble.

I don't believe that the poor are punished too severely by our justice system.  If that were true, poor neighborhoods would be oases of safety and tranquility.  I do believe that it is too easy to use money to buy your way out of trouble.  There are so many opportunities with money to manipulate the legal system in your favor.  It's wrong, but it's not a party issue.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 10:57:18 PM »

Obviously OJ got off because of his expensive lawyers. Sending non-violent drug users to jail doesn't help anyone with anything. We need rehabiliation for all but the worst criminals.

In order to rehabilitate people, they have to want to be rehabilitated.  And it usually takes punishment to get them to the point where they want to be rehabilitated.  That's the reality.  I wish rehabilitation alone were the answer, but it isn't.  It also takes punishment.

And so-called non-violent drug users are responsible for a great deal of property crime like burglaries, in order to get money to support their habits.  Putting them away reduces other crime.  In my town, burglaries are way down over the last ten years due to a stiffening of prison terms for non-violent criminals at the state level.  Many high-crime areas have enjoyed a similar drop in crime since penalties were stiffened for property and drug crimes.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 12:08:53 AM »

In order of importance from least to most:

The obnoxious attitude that the government and everybody (else) owes them a living. This is best exemplified by the innumerable labor-, teacher-, government-sector unions, the AARP, etc.

The sense of absolute entitlement to government office ("We wuz robbed!", "Florida!", "Ohio!", "Gregoire!")

Using the judiciary to implement perverse social changes (Abington School District vs. Schempp, 1963)

The paranoid hatred of the big business in particular and their suspicion towards the free market economic system in general, the greatest engine of general prosperity ever devised by man.

The diffident and irresponsible attitude towards national security, as though the United States is morally unworthy to wage wars or maintain a first-class military

Dude, I could hardly have said it better myself.  Well done.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 08:42:01 PM »

That's definitely an issue in which the Democrats need to get their message out better.

I hate the fact that we don't seem like we care about abortion or want to reduce it at all.

For the feminists, abortion is sacred, and their whole movement is centered around it.  With the stranglehold that those people have on the Democratic party, how could the party get across a message that says that abortion should be reduced?  That would suggest that it's not desirable, a thought which is anathema to the radical feminists who form such an integral part of the Democratic base.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 06:12:14 AM »

I would hardly know where to begin.

I think that the thing I find most offensive about the Democrats is their 'blame America first' attitude on foreign policy.  They seem so hostile to US interests, and really have been every since Vietnam.

The other big one is their belief that spending money is the answer to every problem.

Then there's political correctness, and their willful refusal to recognize that certain types of families work better than others.

I generally find that Democrats are far more likely than not to side with, and sympathize with, people who for whatever reason do not contribute to society (welfare recipients, criminals, etc.) at the expense of law-abiding citizens who do contribute.  Those who do contribute are at the very, very bottom of the priority list, and are supposed to make endless sacrifices for those who either cannot or refuse to contribute.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 08:51:02 AM »

I don't really think the Republicans here have any kind of right to keep bringing up spending as an issue against my people when their congress has racked up record deficits the past 4 years.

Well, unfortuately, I can't argue with you there, except to say that the Democrats continually complain that we're not spending enough.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies