Issue you disagree with the other party on the most (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:46:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Issue you disagree with the other party on the most (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Issue you disagree with the other party on the most  (Read 126283 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: January 07, 2005, 07:18:34 PM »

The environment. There are plenty of great companies that respect the environment, but that does not take away from the fact that only a few could damage it badly.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 08:48:21 PM »

What Republican that you know doesn't think there should be any kind of enviornmental intervention?

Plenty.

However, many believe there should be very lax restrictions.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 09:04:59 PM »

There are plenty of people who insist that there is nothing wrong with the environment. No politicians would probably admit to this belief, but some may have; I really do not know of any offhand.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 09:12:07 PM »

I see nothing wrong with the environment. Quit legislating morality. Wink

You see nothing wrong with the environment yet you just claimed that no Republicans you know have that review. Interesting.

How is the environmental a moral position?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 07:36:37 PM »

The Democrats need to make it picture clear that they are not for abortion, but for abortion rights. We also need to stop being fake about what we try to do. Kerry is not an openly religous guy. I'd rather see him not discuss it all then do it in the phony way he did. We do pander too much to the African-American community, but do we have a choice? Could we win PA, MI, OH (theoretically), MN, FL, WA without large Black Democratic turnout in Philadelphia, Detriot, Cleveland, The Twin Cities, Miami/Jacksonville, and Seattle?
Phony: a good name for Kerry's abortion stance.  He was fine when he claimed the ol' "I personally oppose abortion, but I don't think it is the government's business" line.  When he then said that the government should then pay for abortions, he contradicted his earlier "it's not the government's business" claim.

The abortion issue is not a 50/50 wedge issue.  It is a 33/33/33 wedge issue.  There are three roughly equal positions:
1. Abortion is wrong and it ought to be illegal.
2. Abortion is wrong, but in a religious sense--therefore the government should not ban it.
3. Abortion is an unfortunate fact of life and is not "wrong" in any sense.  The government should protect, and even provide, access to abortion.

If Republicans strongly support #1, they lose 2 to 1.  Kerry's mistake was analogous.

Wow, then I must fall into the 1% who think that it should be strongly discouraged, but legal only in the first trimester, yet still very strongly discouraged.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies