Issue you disagree with the other party on the most (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:13:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Issue you disagree with the other party on the most (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Issue you disagree with the other party on the most  (Read 126322 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« on: January 07, 2005, 02:50:33 PM »

Education and the environment.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 12:39:56 PM »

GOP-

1. Zealous, even religious support of the established and powerful, not just a lack of compassion but an ideological anti-compassion. This is what I hate most about the GOP and makes me a Democrat.

2. Ties to race-based elements. For example, their support of the Confederate flag in government, their alliance with the xenophobic groups who are some of their more extreme (if not more vocal) supporters. This ties with "issue" #1 as most aversive characteristic of the right.

3. Generally bitter outlook on others and a constant mentality of confrontation that they thrive on. For so-called Christrians, they seem to be always looking for different groups to hate for not conforming to this or that. In foreign policy this means an us-or-them, zero-sum attitude against anything resembling a principle that peaceful, mutual success is an inherent positive and which is a long term recipie for strife.

Democrats-

1. Support of programs and attitudes that undercut individual responsibility. For example, the idea that its bad for parents to discipline their children, that families should not be protected, that children's self-esteem is more important than accurate assessment of reality, and a condescending lowering of expectations towards minorities and other disadvantaged.

2. Religious/spiritual vacuousness. Every party likes to feel morally superior, but the Democrats dont even try to believe in or pretend to promote anything other than an animalistic, relativist universe. No wonder they find it harder to inspire impassioned commitment than the GOP.

3. Knee-jerk anti-capitalism and anti-Americanism (btw, this is what separates the liberals from the Left). The bizzare self-loathing of the far left and their convulted, condescending and nonsensical explanations for these tendencies continues to baffle me whenever I encounter them.

Fabulous post, Beet. I agree completely.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 01:35:58 PM »

That's definitely an issue in which the Democrats need to get their message out better.

I hate the fact that we don't seem like we care about abortion or want to reduce it at all.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 02:35:54 AM »

I would still say education and the environment if we are looking at specific issues, as I did when I first responded to this thread over a year and a half ago.

However, I would add that the GOP's beholdence to big business is its largest failing and the thing I dislike about it the most. The party seems to have absolutely no respect for the middle class and the less well off and exists only to promote and protect the wealthy and privledged. I think this is a highly destructive attitude to take for the country as a whole and is fundamentally a denial of what makes America great, which is the working men and women of this country, not corporate CEOs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies