_TOP SECRET_ Texas 2006 info (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:36:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  _TOP SECRET_ Texas 2006 info (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: _TOP SECRET_ Texas 2006 info  (Read 6750 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: January 06, 2005, 10:34:02 PM »

Well, for those of us who've lived in Texas, this isn't exactly a great surprise.  Perry just isn't that popular with the rank and file Republican base here, that's what'll kill him more than anything else.

My bet right now is that Hutchinson will run in the primary and knock Perry off, then win easily in the general election, as she is extremely well-liked statewide.

I would then bet very strongly that Henry Bonilla would run for the Senate seat and win fairly easily also.  I really don't know who the Dems could challenge against him.

What's your feelings on that? 

I also realize Bush 41 could run for Gov. and would win easily.  He also looks in very good shape.  I just never had any idea he would run.  Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 01:59:00 AM »

In Texas the Governor doesn't have that much power other than appointments. The Lt. Governor carries most of the power of the state's executive branch. It would be a relatively easy job compared to being president. Part of his job would be to discuss border issues with Fox. To sum up he would mainly be a public relations governor. The Lt. Governor, David Dewhurst, would run the state.

That's a correct assessment.  I've always liked Dewhurst personally.  He's about the only person I've ever seen run a government department by cutting spending and raising efficiency.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 02:21:11 PM »

The Senate seat would be wide open. Bonilla makes a lot of sense, but DeLay and his faction want to hijack the state, and there are plenty of others out for personal glory. We'll have to see how that gears up.

Possibly, but Bonilla has historically been a good, strong conservative in his seat and I think if he ran there wouldn't be much challenge, even from the DeLay wing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies