Whig Party National Conference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:35:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Whig Party National Conference
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: Whig Party National Conference  (Read 51767 times)
Pingvin
Pingvin99
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: May 12, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »

Vote is officialy closed!
Next Whig convention will be held in Bird-In-Hand, PA!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #276 on: May 12, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »

Out of curiosity, is this a joke? Or is the convention really being held in Lancaster County?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #277 on: May 12, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »

The Amish best represent their view for Atlasia, so it is fitting.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »

We just want to show that Atlasia isn't only Nyman, New York City, Detroit or any other big city. Atlasia is also small, tiny towns and rural places where people still know how to get the job done, where family and God still respected, where Atlasia is still Atlasia,
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #279 on: May 12, 2012, 03:09:43 PM »

Out of curiosity, is this a joke? Or is the convention really being held in Lancaster County?

To be honest, yes, it is kind of a joke. I found that name funny so I voted for that place. Wink
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #280 on: May 12, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »

Convention in Anytown, Atlasia- I love it!
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #281 on: May 13, 2012, 06:21:06 AM »

You're all such a lazy bunch of people, there's still some work to do! Wink

Simfan proposed these lines, and we should really debate them.

And here are some points, the ones not struck out (most likely because they're already being voted upon) I officially propose:

We, the members of the Whig Party, desirous of the advancement of the state of Atlasia, our country, and the preservation of its society, believe:

-That the foundation of a democratic, peaceful, and prosperous society is the family and community.
-That we simultaneously re-affirm the idea of personal responsibility, aided via the community.
-That the greatest long-term crisis facing Atlasia today is the decline of social capital and community, which shall eventually come to harm that democratic, peaceful, and prosperous society we enjoy.
-That greatest power in the land is not the State, whether Federal or Regional, but instead the community and the individual.

-That the government is not the arbiter nor origin of economic growth, but rather a force than can and should be used to assisted the marketplace in its growth, in the interests of community and the nation.
-That the model of free and unrestricted two-way trade is the optimal model for trade between nations
-That the government is, by nature, the power that can best provide certain resources and services to society.
-The government should regulate trade and industry to maximize social equity, while in a manner that does not impede the normal functioning of the economy
-That welfare is meant to temporarily assist, not provide for, the people

-That Atlasia must be mindful of its being the world's foremost power
-That military conflict, in general, is counter to the well-being of man and thus must be avoided unless necessary
-That diplomacy, not warfare, is the cornerstone of foreign relations
-That multilateralism and collective security- a community of nations- is the best way to advance Atlasia's interests abroad
-That the goals set out in foreign interventions must be achieved.

-That the maintenance of tradition is an integral part of society
-That the concepts of "rights" and "entitlements" must be balanced by an awareness of responsibilities and obligations to others
-That the life of all must be defended, and so both executions and abortion must be made illegal or at the least as rare as possible
-That the advancment of culture and science is an integral function of society and its organizations.

And the variations upon the two in which I voted nay:

"We recognize the religious basis for the moral foundation of our society and the positive role of religion should be acknowledged and respected by the government."

"We as the caretakers of the Earth have a moral obligation to pass it on to future generations in at least the condition we received it."

Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #282 on: May 13, 2012, 07:17:03 AM »

Can't think about any additions now.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #283 on: May 13, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »

Of course, I support them all.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #284 on: May 13, 2012, 07:32:36 PM »

As do I...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #285 on: May 15, 2012, 10:10:58 PM »

Just want to say that I'm very happy to have registered as a Whig. Look forward to hopefully becoming an active member of the party.

I haven't had a chance to totally read through this thread yet, but I'm pretty happy with where the party stands on the issues.

There's one line from Simfan that I'm not sure I'm on board with, if only for how easy it would be to work around: "The government should regulate trade and industry to maximize social equity, while in a manner that does not impede the normal functioning of the economy."

I personally believe that "maximizing social equity" via regulations over-emphasizes the role of the government in shaping society. Something along the lines of preserving equal opportunity just sounds a bit less liberal to me. Otherwise it seems like we want to give the government carte blanche to uphold its own social agenda.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #286 on: May 15, 2012, 10:14:48 PM »

Ehhh I'm thinking more so of having regulating to the point where you have externalities and private cost at the same level and in equilibrium with the market demand
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2012, 11:51:32 AM »

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE ATLASIA WHIG PARTY

"Conservative" doesn't mean "racist". Every true conservative knows this, and is rightly offended when the two are lumped together.

So why does Atlasia's premier conservative party have an unabashedly racist chairman?

Spare the whining about "political correctness" or "you can't judge someone's views just on a few posts--or over a dozen---or twenty", Chairman Pingvin has repeatedly revealed himself as a horrid bigot of the most base sort.

It may be his unquestionable right to hold such horrid views, but it's equally the Whig Party's unquestionable right--and arguably its duty--not to let such a person represent the face of it's organization.

I'm not going to start by listing every post Pingvin has made along these lines--several have been deleted by multiple mods for their racist content, and anyone who has followed his odious posting history even in passing has likely been familiarized with his white power lite stances.

The choice is yours: Proudly and firmly state: "Conservative yes, racist no", or merely allow yourselves to be represented by the likely Moscow chapter founder of Aryan Nation.

Thank you,
Badger
Senator Emeritus.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »

It makes sense to differentiate between posts that are related to Atlasia and those who have nothing to do with Atlasia. I judge Pingvin by his actions in this game, and when I look at his record in the game I only see things such as the "IDS Cell Phone While Driving Ban Act" or "Access for Afghan Women Act" - terribly fascist, isn't it?

You'd better be outraged at the path your Liberal Party is taking because if you guys continue to recruit libertarians, centrists and leftists at the same time it will become less and less clear what your party stands for. Wink

To sum up, there is no reason why Pingvin should not serve as chairman of the Whig Party since he is a fine player.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2012, 12:24:11 PM »

You'd better be outraged at the path your Liberal Party is taking because if you guys continue to recruit libertarians, centrists and leftists at the same time it will become less and less clear what your party stands for. Wink

I believe it would result in a party best described as "moderate liberalitarian".
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »

I believe it would result in a party best described as "moderate liberalitarian".

That's a nice coinage! Wink
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2012, 01:16:23 PM »

Alright, I'm in Smiley
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2012, 01:20:22 PM »

You know that this makes me look terribly silly after what I've just said about the Liberal Party? Tongue

Welcome, though. Beware: We're social conservatives. Wink
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »

You know that this makes me look terribly silly after what I've just said about the Liberal Party? Tongue

Welcome, though. Beware: We're social conservatives. Wink

I hadn't even read what you said about the Liberal Party Tongue

But yes, I know. I'll make sure you guys become social "centrists" Wink
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »

Yes. We're "communitarians." Wink
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »

Do I smell a primary coming up? Smiley
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2012, 03:09:49 PM »

Perhaps- we value diversity of opinion and having many candidates compete in the arena of ideas...we don't want to shut out other candidates (or an entire party) for a coronation ;-)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »

Perhaps- we value diversity of opinion and having many candidates compete in the arena of ideas...we don't want to shut out other candidates (or an entire party) for a coronation ;-)

It'd make sense to have a primary, just so the Whigs could have the same "unitedness" the left is pursuing with their Oakvale-Napoleon-Tweed preferencing contest, in an orderly fashion.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2012, 03:18:44 PM »

Agreed- SJoyceFla
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »

Ehhh I'm thinking more so of having regulating to the point where you have externalities and private cost at the same level and in equilibrium with the market demand
Thats pretty much my position.
Since we are some European Christian Democrats and US Moderates in the party, its platform is to the left of US Conservatives in some areas.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies