Whig Party National Conference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:14:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Whig Party National Conference
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Author Topic: Whig Party National Conference  (Read 51792 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2012, 02:57:04 PM »

I'll probably join, but the name "Whig Party" is terrible.

Why? It's a kickass name!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2012, 02:57:39 PM »

Which one did you prefer? Or what name would you like?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »

If you're a bunch of ineffectual early-1800s old people who never win an election.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »

I heard the suggestion of "Whig" party mentioned. Sounds much better than communitarian. When I hear "Communitarian", I imagine some nice cozy little welfare state somewhere in Europe, very small and very insignificant and with a decidedly leftist tilt. My mental image for "Whig" is Henry Clay or Abe Lincoln wading through the mud stoidly in Kentucky or something, charging boldly and ruggedly ahead in the wilderness, fighting for internal improvements and other stuff. Whig is much better.

Seeing as the RPP is dissolving, I'll put this on my list of parties I'm consider joining.

Communitarianism is an ideology that stresses the importance of the community as an organic social unit, and advocates moral values and tradition.

Now THAT'S scary.

Which part is scary to you- community, morals, or tradition? It is sccary that you find those scary!

I don't find any of those things scary, I found the wording scary.

What is "morality" in terms of values? I'd like to know that.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »

I love it!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »

I heard the suggestion of "Whig" party mentioned. Sounds much better than communitarian. When I hear "Communitarian", I imagine some nice cozy little welfare state somewhere in Europe, very small and very insignificant and with a decidedly leftist tilt. My mental image for "Whig" is Henry Clay or Abe Lincoln wading through the mud stoidly in Kentucky or something, charging boldly and ruggedly ahead in the wilderness, fighting for internal improvements and other stuff. Whig is much better.

Seeing as the RPP is dissolving, I'll put this on my list of parties I'm consider joining.

Communitarianism is an ideology that stresses the importance of the community as an organic social unit, and advocates moral values and tradition.

Now THAT'S scary.

Which part is scary to you- community, morals, or tradition? It is sccary that you find those scary!

For me this is in terms of abortion, humanitarian foreign intervention, preserving government assistance of the poor who are unable to help themselves, etc
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2012, 03:03:18 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2012, 03:05:04 PM by Simfan34 »

Now THAT'S scary.

We want people to act as respectful, social citizens, and would like to stem the loss of "social capital"- as it is an important part of democracy. Morality is very basic- normal, respectful behavior that helps to better others as well as yourself.

EDIT: And what Clarence said.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »

Which one did you prefer? Or what name would you like?

I prefer a party name that says a least a bit about your goals and ideology. The CPA was fine with me, but apparently people didn't like that one. You could revive the CDP or something, but most anything would be better than Whig.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2012, 03:04:22 PM »

Why?  Old F***** Badasses of all sorts (and lots of war heroes) were members of the real one; Zachary Taylor, Winfield Scott, Bob Dole, Strom Thurmond, Ronald Reagan; theres so many kick-ass motherf****ers to choose from!
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »

Now THAT'S scary.

For me this is in terms of abortion, humanitarian foreign intervention, preserving government assistance of the poor who are unable to help themselves, etc

Humanitarian foreign intervention? Well intentioned, but it can lead to nation building. Are you in favor of that?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »

Why?  Old F***** Badasses of all sorts (and lots of war heroes) were members of the real one; Zachary Taylor, Winfield Scott, Bob Dole, Strom Thurmond, Ronald Reagan; theres so many kick-ass motherf****ers to choose from!

By "real one", am I to assume you're including the Republican party? (doubtlessly, Bob Dole would've been in the Whig party were it alive today. Why? I dunno. He just seems that way. RR and ST are more questionable) But yes, there were some badasses in it back in those days. I'd love to see a Zachary Taylor lives scenario where he marches right into the South and kicks ass.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »

Now THAT'S scary.

Humanitarian foreign intervention? Well intentioned, but it can lead to nation building. Are you in favor of that?

Absolutely not- having been on civic action teams in Vietnam where men were killed on a mission to build a school house, I do not want to ever get bogged down on nation building. I have made that very clear in my campaign for Senate also
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »

Now THAT'S scary.

Absolutely not- having been on civic action teams in Vietnam where men were killed on a mission to build a school house, I do not want to ever get bogged down on nation building. I have made that very clear in my campaign for Senate also

I see. But do you agree that it is difficult nowadays to enter a nation with "humanitarian" intent and leave without at least contributing to some kind of nation-building? Is there any morality in enter a country, helping them topple an oppressive regime, for instance, and then leaving?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »

This is why we support multilateralism. We go in, do what we need to do, and have peacekeepers maintain the peace while we continue with aid and capacity-building programs.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »

I believe yes- by humanitarian I mean genocide. I do not believe in intervening in a civil war or a dictatorship unless it becomes genocide. If we put an end to genoide and then hand over power to a group of tribal leaders, that is success.  Nation building is FAR more then setting up a government... it involves building schools and community buildings. In Afghanistan a major mission of our Navy right now is to subsidize and deliver crops to prevent rural farmers from getting into the opium trade- I would never want to get into things like that
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »

I see. But do you agree that it is difficult nowadays to enter a nation with "humanitarian" intent and leave without at least contributing to some kind of nation-building? Is there any morality in enter a country, helping them topple an oppressive regime, for instance, and then leaving?

Humanitarian aid does not generally refer to entering a nation and helping topple an oppressive regime. It usually is more related to things like sending malayria nets to poor African villages that can't afford them or something like Haiti's earthquake relief. Sometimes we fund military groups or UN peacekeeping missions. I think these things often result in us ending up in fewer wars if done correctly.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2012, 03:19:28 PM »

Humanitarian aid does not generally refer to entering a nation and helping topple an oppressive regime. It usually is more related to things like sending malayria nets to poor African villages that can't afford them or something like Haiti's earthquake relief. Sometimes we fund military groups or UN peacekeeping missions. I think these things often result in us ending up in fewer wars if done correctly.

Which is why I said "for instance."
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2012, 03:21:51 PM by Simfan34 »

I believe yes- by humanitarian I mean genocide. I do not believe in intervening in a civil war or a dictatorship unless it becomes genocide. If we put an end to genoide and then hand over power to a group of tribal leaders, that is success.  Nation building is FAR more then setting up a government... it involves building schools and community buildings. In Afghanistan a major mission of our Navy right now is to subsidize and deliver crops to prevent rural farmers from getting into the opium trade- I would never want to get into things like that

Indeed. Locals can do that, with Atlasian aid and international peacekeepers. No major intervention is needed.

And while I don't mean to be rude, 20RP12, I think it's safe to say you won't be joining us. Can we not continue this in Political Debate? We need to organize our party.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2012, 03:20:57 PM »

I believe yes- by humanitarian I mean genocide. I do not believe in intervening in a civil war or a dictatorship unless it becomes genocide. If we put an end to genoide and then hand over power to a group of tribal leaders, that is success.  Nation building is FAR more then setting up a government... it involves building schools and community buildings. In Afghanistan a major mission of our Navy right now is to subsidize and deliver crops to prevent rural farmers from getting into the opium trade- I would never want to get into things like that

I see.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2012, 03:38:57 PM »

In other news, we have a majority in the IDS legislature. Cheesy
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2012, 03:42:46 PM »

Do we? Who else aside from me and Pingvin?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »

And the IDS legislature has 3 members! Smiley
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2012, 03:45:10 PM »

And the IDS legislature has 3 members! Smiley

Not anymore... just passed bill to move up to 5. Yelnoc, Teddy, and Taft4Prez are also members
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »

You're tied with the Liberals! Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »

Fine, Ill join. There'll soon be an official announcement in my office.

xCathcon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies