Whig Party National Conference (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:38:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Whig Party National Conference (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Whig Party National Conference  (Read 51782 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 04:36:59 AM »

Atlasia may not establish any religion as the official religion of the state.
--Third Constitution, Article VI, Section 2

Basing decisions on Christianity seems a little fishy to me.

We are not attempting to do the first, but we obviously do the second. It may seem fishy to you to base decisions on Christianity, fair enough, but don't tell me that there is any human being who does not base their decisions - be they personal or political - on their respective worldview. In the case of most Whig members, that world view happens to be a Christian one. On the other hand, members of other parties may be influenced by certain philosophies such as social-democratic, purely libertarian or communist ideas. Why should that be any better or worse from a neutral point of view?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 11:38:36 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2012, 11:40:35 AM by Assemblyman of the Mideast ZuWo »

My take on the Senate election from a Whig perspective

Fellow Whig members,

the Senate elections have come to an end and the results leave us with mixed feelings. On the one hand, our party chairman Pingvin, a dedicated conservative, has lost his seat. On the other hand, both TJ in Cleve and clarence have been able to hang on to their seats. Thank you to everyone who has preferenced the Whig candidates - you have helped elect two active and competent candidates, which is exactly what Atlasia needs. I'd also like to congratulate AndrewPA and wormyguy on their election; all in all, the Senate has moved a tad to the right.

I think our GOTV operation was fairly successful, though there is still room for improvement. Thanks to everyone who has contributed in that respect!
However, this election has once again made clear that the right can only be strong in an election if numerous positive factors come together and, simply put, if we are a little bit lucky. That's why the worst we can do at this point is to lean back and rest on our laurels. We have to continue our fight, bring new conservatives to the game, keep current players interested and active and run qualified candidates in every election we compete in.

The first thing we have to do now is work! Let's get back to business. We still need to specify our platform and discuss various proposals that have been made on the previous pages.

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 03:09:07 AM »

The chairman should make a list of the various proposals so we can vote on them.

Include my "caretaker"-argument as a proposal.

Your wish is my command. I'm only the Vice Chair of this Party, but I hope no one objects to me bringing the various proposals to a vote. I'd say we first hold a vote on the proposals of the previous pages - these are the points that are disputed to a certain extent - and that we then move on to a vote on the entire platform unless someone brings up another point.

Please vote AYE or NAY on each proposal. Voting ends in 5 days:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »

1. "We recognize the Judeo-Christian tradition as the primary moral foundation of our society and the positive role of religion should be acknowledged and respected by the government."

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay

2. "God gave us the earth in trust and we are merely the caretakers of it and should pass it on to future generations in at least the condition we received it."

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay

3. "The Whig Party will only use military intervention abroad if the national security of Atlasia or our allies is threatened."

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay

4. "The Whig Party supports alternative energy research and supports enviromental protection."

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay

5. "That the military and its traditions are a fundamental aspect of our heritage and national identity."

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay

6. "That multilateralism and collective security - a community of nations - is the best way to advance Atlasia's interests abroad."

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 10:17:57 AM »

Simfan, I suggest that we first conclude the current vote and that we hold a debate and a vote on your proposals afterwards. This way we can avoid the confusion of having several votes taking place at the same time. Is that ok?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 02:15:08 PM »

According to the latest census data, the Whig Party has 8 members in the ME, 4 in the IDS, 2 in the Pacific and 2 in the NE. That's why it probably only makes sense to have regional chairs in the ME and the IDS. Any volunteers?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »

The convention is only one week before the next federal election (i.e. in June), but it's always a good idea to start early.

[] Chicago, IL
[] Columbus, OH
[] Cleveland, OH
[] Pittsburgh, PA
[] Indianapolis, IN
[] Cincinnati, OH
[] Atlantic City, NJ
[] St. Paul, MN
[] Niagara Falls, NY
[] Winona Lake, IN
[] Milford, IN
[] St. Louis, MO
[] Detroit, MI
[] Wichita, KS
[] Denver, CO
[] Birmingham, AL
[] Mandan, ND
[] Springfield, IL
[] Minneapolis, MN
[X] Bird-In-Hand, PA
[] Fairfield Glade, TN
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »

The majority of the Whig Party members have voted in favor of the following lines, which are now part of the official Whig Party platform:

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 03:09:43 PM »

Vote is officialy closed!
Next Whig convention will be held in Bird-In-Hand, PA!

Out of curiosity, is this a joke? Or is the convention really being held in Lancaster County?

To be honest, yes, it is kind of a joke. I found that name funny so I voted for that place. Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 06:21:06 AM »

You're all such a lazy bunch of people, there's still some work to do! Wink

Simfan proposed these lines, and we should really debate them.

And here are some points, the ones not struck out (most likely because they're already being voted upon) I officially propose:

We, the members of the Whig Party, desirous of the advancement of the state of Atlasia, our country, and the preservation of its society, believe:

-That the foundation of a democratic, peaceful, and prosperous society is the family and community.
-That we simultaneously re-affirm the idea of personal responsibility, aided via the community.
-That the greatest long-term crisis facing Atlasia today is the decline of social capital and community, which shall eventually come to harm that democratic, peaceful, and prosperous society we enjoy.
-That greatest power in the land is not the State, whether Federal or Regional, but instead the community and the individual.

-That the government is not the arbiter nor origin of economic growth, but rather a force than can and should be used to assisted the marketplace in its growth, in the interests of community and the nation.
-That the model of free and unrestricted two-way trade is the optimal model for trade between nations
-That the government is, by nature, the power that can best provide certain resources and services to society.
-The government should regulate trade and industry to maximize social equity, while in a manner that does not impede the normal functioning of the economy
-That welfare is meant to temporarily assist, not provide for, the people

-That Atlasia must be mindful of its being the world's foremost power
-That military conflict, in general, is counter to the well-being of man and thus must be avoided unless necessary
-That diplomacy, not warfare, is the cornerstone of foreign relations
-That multilateralism and collective security- a community of nations- is the best way to advance Atlasia's interests abroad
-That the goals set out in foreign interventions must be achieved.

-That the maintenance of tradition is an integral part of society
-That the concepts of "rights" and "entitlements" must be balanced by an awareness of responsibilities and obligations to others
-That the life of all must be defended, and so both executions and abortion must be made illegal or at the least as rare as possible
-That the advancment of culture and science is an integral function of society and its organizations.

And the variations upon the two in which I voted nay:

"We recognize the religious basis for the moral foundation of our society and the positive role of religion should be acknowledged and respected by the government."

"We as the caretakers of the Earth have a moral obligation to pass it on to future generations in at least the condition we received it."

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »

It makes sense to differentiate between posts that are related to Atlasia and those who have nothing to do with Atlasia. I judge Pingvin by his actions in this game, and when I look at his record in the game I only see things such as the "IDS Cell Phone While Driving Ban Act" or "Access for Afghan Women Act" - terribly fascist, isn't it?

You'd better be outraged at the path your Liberal Party is taking because if you guys continue to recruit libertarians, centrists and leftists at the same time it will become less and less clear what your party stands for. Wink

To sum up, there is no reason why Pingvin should not serve as chairman of the Whig Party since he is a fine player.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »

You'd better be outraged at the path your Liberal Party is taking because if you guys continue to recruit libertarians, centrists and leftists at the same time it will become less and less clear what your party stands for. Wink

I believe it would result in a party best described as "moderate liberalitarian".

That's a nice coinage! Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 01:20:22 PM »

You know that this makes me look terribly silly after what I've just said about the Liberal Party? Tongue

Welcome, though. Beware: We're social conservatives. Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 01:13:05 AM »

I hope that Pingvin's resignation is only temporary, but for the time being I accept the office of chairman according to our bylaws. There is an important election ahead of us, and we must be ready to face this challenge.

Should we hold a vote of No Confidence in the Vice-Chairman Vacancy now and then elect a new Vice Chair in order to solve the problem TJ has mentioned, or could we simply leave the office of Vice Chair vacant until August?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »

Simfan, do you expect us to appear in ties and appropriate suits to that convention? If yes, can you send us your detailed instructions as to what we should and should not wear at least a few days in advance? Thanks!

For everyone's information, here's our bylaws:

Membership

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 03:43:43 AM »

Let's hold a Vote of No Confidence on the vacant Vice Chair post.

This vote is necessary due to Pingvin's temporary resignment and my elevation to the office of Chairman. After this vote, we shall proceed to elect a new Vice Chair.

Voting ends in 48 hours.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2012, 03:44:31 AM »

Do you have confidence in the current Vice Chair (vacant)?

[ ] Yes
[X] No

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2012, 04:55:02 AM »

Voting is closed. As expected, there is no confidence in our current Vice Chair named "vacant".

The next thing we should do is elect a new Vice Chair. If you are interested in the post, please step forward.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2012, 02:33:10 PM »

I want to register as a member of the party

Welcome! Unfortunately, there's too much bureaucracy in this game. Tongue

Welcome. I am looking forward to having you in the game, the Mideast region and the party. However, the current registration requirements of this game state that a poster must have at least 50 posts in order to become a player. I'm sorry. But please come back once you have 50 posts! Smiley
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2012, 02:19:21 AM »

Are there other people who are interested in the position of Vice Chair? So far we have Simfan and 20RP12 who are running for Vice Chair.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »

Since apparently there aren't any other candidates for vice chair of the Whig Party, I hereby open a vote on the vice chairmanship.

Voting ends in 96 hours (4 days).

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2012, 03:29:48 PM »

Official Ballot:

Who should be the new vice chair of the Whig Party?

[1] Simfan34
[2] 20RP12
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2012, 12:53:58 PM »

More votes, please!
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2012, 03:46:03 PM »

Having received 3 out of 5 votes cast, Simfan34 is elected Vice Chair of the Whig Party.

Congrats, Simfan!
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2012, 12:29:29 PM »

Hey folks,

There's a hard-fought election battle going on for the IDS Legislature. I've been representing the Whigs in legislature for about a month--I'd love to have your continued support during this election. It's going to be a huge uphill climb. Two seats are up for grabs. JBrase will get one. That means there's gonna be a big three-way race for the third, between Labour's Adam Griffin, Mechaman of the Imperial Bloc, and myself.

I'd appreciate whatever help you could give me.

If you want to learn more, feel free to check out my campaign, located here.

Thanks!

As a member of this party you have the endorsement of the Whig Party. Now I can't vote for you personally, but as far as I have seen you have played an active role during the last session of the IDS Legislature so I encourage all Southerners - be they members of the Whig Party or members of any other party - to re-elect you. Good luck from the party chairman! Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies