difference between man and woman vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:22:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  difference between man and woman vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: difference between man and woman vote  (Read 5169 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2011, 06:12:27 AM »

I've always wondered why men are more likely to vote republican than women. In high school I knew plenty of boys who were atheists but didn't know any girls who were. There were much more dudes than chicks who smoked weed, wore dreadlocks etc. A lot of the girls in my high school were of the prep variety and into things like choir et al.

My theory is this:
While most of the atheists and trustafarians I knew in HS probably vote democrat and most of the prep girls vote republican; there is a huge gap between the non-atheist non-pothead male and the non-prep girl. White males who are preps are probably 85-15 GOP while white female preps are probably 65-35 GOP. Also, the few women who are atheists/counterculture are probably 90-10 dem while the men who are like that are probably 65% Dem, 20% Republican and 15% Third Party (especially libertarian).

Would you agree with this assessment?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 02:28:08 PM »

I've always wondered why men are more likely to vote republican than women.

Same reason that white people are more likely to vote Republican than non-white people.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 04:15:05 PM »

I've always wondered why men are more likely to vote republican than women. In high school I knew plenty of boys who were atheists but didn't know any girls who were. There were much more dudes than chicks who smoked weed, wore dreadlocks etc. A lot of the girls in my high school were of the prep variety and into things like choir et al.

My theory is this:
While most of the atheists and trustafarians I knew in HS probably vote democrat and most of the prep girls vote republican; there is a huge gap between the non-atheist non-pothead male and the non-prep girl. White males who are preps are probably 85-15 GOP while white female preps are probably 65-35 GOP. Also, the few women who are atheists/counterculture are probably 90-10 dem while the men who are like that are probably 65% Dem, 20% Republican and 15% Third Party (especially libertarian).

Female and Male R's are close in ideology. Female D's are to the left of Male D's.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »

I've always wondered why men are more likely to vote republican than women.

Same reason that white people are more likely to vote Republican than non-white people.

White males are why males are so Republican.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 09:16:45 PM »

This is actually a really interesting phenomenon. Although there's not near as much disparity as between races, it cuts to the core about what the differences are between men and women and what their roles are in society. I'm no gender expert so I'll let everybody read into that what they will. FWIW, most couples (if political at all) are of the same orientation. However, this becomes very much less the case among wealthy people, where men skew heavily GOP and women Dem. And any explanation/research on why that situation exists would make an awesome PolySci thesis/dissertation.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:41:57 PM »

My theory is this:

Female and Male R's are close in ideology. Female D's are to the left of Male D's.
Uhh...
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 11:16:53 PM »

My theory is this:

Uhh...

?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 07:52:54 PM »

This is actually a really interesting phenomenon. Although there's not near as much disparity as between races, it cuts to the core about what the differences are between men and women and what their roles are in society. I'm no gender expert so I'll let everybody read into that what they will. FWIW, most couples (if political at all) are of the same orientation. However, this becomes very much less the case among wealthy people, where men skew heavily GOP and women Dem. And any explanation/research on why that situation exists would make an awesome PolySci thesis/dissertation.

My guess is that wealthier men are more likely to be suspicious of people who want to raise taxes on them to pay for programs for the poor, while wealthier women are more suspicious of people who are opposed to a woman's right to choose, since that effects women's rights directly in a way that raising taxes on rich people in general doesn't.

I also think that a woman who is more financially independent and isn't dependent on her husband  is more likely to have her own independent views..which would logically lead her to having more progressive views.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:55 PM »

It's an income thing.

Also, I tend to see that women are more moderate either way, while men are more polarized.
Helenae
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 07:08:25 PM »

You know I have always wondered about this. The same with the reason why minorities are more likely to go democratic than republican. My hunch is that the dems just promote what women and minorities truly care about. I have a sister that votes democratic, but a lot of her views are VERY conservative in things like government spending. But she cares about gay rights and the rights for women to have abortions etc. to the point that she votes democratic. I myself have the same views as my sister, but I do not vote democratic because if same sex couples can marry or not isn't high on my priority list. So I tend to follow my conservative leanings because I care about our economy etc even though I have some democratic views.

I think that's the tricky thing about a two party system. Both parties cover a broad spectrum and one really has to pick a party that is promoting what you care about. So maybe women tend to lean democratic because they offer more of the things that women care about or believe. I don't think I know anyone that fully agrees with their party to be honest. But I could be wrong and these are just my thoughts.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 07:44:51 PM »

Lots of people falling to availability bias here.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 09:36:15 PM »

Anyone got data on why there is such a gender gap in political voting?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »

My theory is this:

Uhh...

?
Males are more polarized in their views imo. So Male D's are to the left of Female D's and Male R's are to the right of Female R's.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 11:31:50 PM »

My theory is this:

Uhh...

?
Males are more polarized in their views imo. So Male D's are to the left of Female D's and Male R's are to the right of Female R's.

In terms of politically active males and political junkies, maybe yes.

I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »

I wish we had a feminazi on this forum, it would be funny Smiley
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »

Male cross-tab:

Obama/Gingrich - 43%/49%
Obama/Paul - 41%/50%
Obama/Perry - 46%/47%
Obama/Romney - 43/49%
Obama/Santorum - 43%/47%

Female cross-tab:

Obama/Gingrich - 55%/36%
Obama/Paul - 52%/34%
Obama/Perry - 55%/33%
Obama/Romney - 54/40%
Obama/Santorum - 55%/37%

Even Rick Perry beats Obama by one point in the male demographic. What makes males hate Obama so much and females like him?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 04:11:08 AM »

I don't think it is surprising.  From the 1970s on, the feminist movement has worked to achieve its policy goals largely through the Democratic Party.  The first media reported "gender gap" was in 1980.  In Congress, Democratic women outnumber GOP women by a margin slightly greater than 2:1.  The large majority of women's rights advocates are now found in the Democratic Party.

I suspect that if one looks at women's voting patterns in the 1960s and earlier, one would see more variety in how women vote.  But I think the women's movement of the 70s was a big factor behind the gender gap which persists today.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 01:35:11 AM »

Rule #1: no women on the internet
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 04:45:39 PM »

Rule #1: no women on the internet

Get the hell out of here you sexist pigs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies