UK General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 01:13:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 93
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 266757 times)
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: September 30, 2013, 10:13:44 AM »
« edited: September 30, 2013, 10:15:18 AM by Leftbehind »

But even if I'm against nudity on film I'd still be a better human being than somebody that wants to ban a newspaper for printing politics they disagree with.

Google Page 3 and get a clue, thnx.

The poll commissioned only asked about Tories, sadly. I have been able to find an older poll with corresponding Lab/Con, but not Liberal, and I suspect there are no UKIP answers out there.

Lab   Con
Immigrants          +34   -43
Benefit claimants   +47   -62
Working class       +27   -49
Middle class        -15   +50
Trade unions        +53   -66
Women                +8    -4
Families            +21    -2
Homeowners          -20   +29
Elderly              +2   -19
Businessmen         -20   +73
Rich                -29   +78
[...]in South       -15   +61
[..]North/Scotland  +28   -55

[...] = People living (/in)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1826 on: September 30, 2013, 10:28:56 AM »

But even if I'm against nudity on film I'd still be a better human being than somebody that wants to ban a newspaper for printing politics they disagree with.

Google Page 3 and get a clue, thnx.
No need to Google as I already know what you're on about it.  So you want to ban the newspaper because of the nudity in it and not because of what's printed in it?  I suppose that's better, but still a really REALLY stupid reason to want to ban something.  But most bans are really REALLY stupid, so you've got a lot of company.  Not good company of course, but I'm sure you're used to that.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1827 on: September 30, 2013, 11:08:01 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2013, 11:12:01 AM by Leftbehind »

No need to Google as I already know what you're on about it.  So you want to ban the newspaper because of the nudity in it and not because of what's printed in it?  I suppose that's better, but still a really REALLY stupid reason to want to ban something.  But most bans are really REALLY stupid, so you've got a lot of company.  Not good company of course, but I'm sure you're used to that.

Well I thought that'd be obvious to everyone given I'd mentioned The Sun and not every right-wing paper going. But yeah, I oppose the casual sexual objectification that's served up everyday with one of our national newspapers, and the double standards that allow it to be.

It seems you're quite happy to ban nudity yourself, so you're part of my company (which admittedly is unsettling).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1828 on: September 30, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »

The opposition to "Blurred Lines" is on account of lyrics that may or may not condone rape.

Robin Thicke has a right to sing the song... and the university SUs have an equal right to choose not to play it.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1829 on: September 30, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »

The opposition to "Blurred Lines" is on account of lyrics that may or may not condone rape.

lol even more justified then.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1830 on: September 30, 2013, 11:53:13 AM »

It seems you're quite happy to ban nudity yourself
You keep saying this, I don't know why you have this impression.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1831 on: September 30, 2013, 12:02:23 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2013, 12:04:02 PM by Leftbehind »

Well this:

I have no idea, but I'd bet nudity in some form.
I'd prefer a person not have sex at the local grade school playground during school hours, past that I don't really care too much about nudity and think we're too prudish a culture.  Especially when concerning our popular art, whatever that may include.

It seemed as if you were happy to accept you condone some forms of censorship (even whilst admitting you're more libertarian than most people), but decided that it was the (perceived) political censorship that set you apart/put you above leftists.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1832 on: September 30, 2013, 12:29:13 PM »

No sir, I should have been more clear.  Nudity laws are silly.  If ladies want to dance naked, let 'em.  If women want to play tennis topless, I'm cool with that (encourage it even!).  If dudes want to play basketball nude in a place that is obviously for adults, knock yourselves out fellas.  If newspapers want people to take them substantially less serious by printing topless ladies, I'm all for it.

I'm against censorship whether it be political or prudish in nature.

My apologies for thinking you wanted to ban the Sun for political reasons.  I still think it's wrong, but I was incorrect in thinking it was over politics.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1833 on: September 30, 2013, 04:10:45 PM »

No sir, I should have been more clear.  Nudity laws are silly.  If ladies want to dance naked, let 'em.  If women want to play tennis topless, I'm cool with that (encourage it even!).  If dudes want to play basketball nude in a place that is obviously for adults, knock yourselves out fellas.  If newspapers want people to take them substantially less serious by printing topless ladies, I'm all for it.

I'm against censorship whether it be political or prudish in nature.

My apologies for thinking you wanted to ban the Sun for political reasons.  I still think it's wrong, but I was incorrect in thinking it was over politics.

That's fair enough, and I'd naturally disagree with your liberalism (at least under present conditions).

Although I don't quite understand why you've included this (bit I've bolded) qualification, after all you've said, it sounds like a condition, and thus a contradiction? Unless you're saying you'd look dimly at it (without said adult environment), but allow it nonetheless?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1834 on: September 30, 2013, 04:35:31 PM »

I'm just saying dudes shouldn't play naked basketball at the local grade school, but at the more adult orientated park down the street, or better yet, something like a bar or club....surewhynot?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1835 on: October 01, 2013, 02:19:41 AM »

Here is Ed Miliband's reply to the Daily Hate Mail's attack on his father:
http://labourpress.tumblr.com/post/62751616247/ed-miliband-my-dad-was-a-man-who-loved-britain
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1836 on: October 01, 2013, 11:26:40 AM »

The Daily Fail published that... and on the same page published a bigger editorial defending their position and also an abridged version of the article on Saturday.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1837 on: October 01, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »

While waiting for a Celtic match you can have hours of fun going through microfiche of the Daily Mail in the 1930's. It's really quite something.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1838 on: October 02, 2013, 05:50:58 AM »

Cameron should be hoping for some 'cut-through' with his speech (that goes without saying, ofc) because this Tory conference has been pretty dull.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1839 on: October 02, 2013, 09:39:18 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2013, 09:41:51 AM by You kip if you want to... »

Funny how Dave's speech was basically a response to Ed "geeky, weird, unelectable" Miliband that the Tories so scoff at. No policy, no substance.

"Land of opportunity" is basically a rightist 'One Nation'.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1840 on: October 02, 2013, 11:28:56 AM »

The problem with the Labour government in the 1970s was that there wasn't one... Labour never had a working majority and most of the time didn't have a majority, full stop.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1841 on: October 02, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »

The problem with the Labour government in the 1970s was that there wasn't one... Labour never had a working majority and most of the time didn't have a majority, full stop.

Funny how that's the line the Tories used when a hung parliament looked likely in the last campaign.

But now the problems in the 1970s were because Labour was too powerful.
TTS1996
Rookie
Australia
« Reply #1842 on: October 03, 2013, 10:08:59 AM »

Funny how Dave's speech was basically a response to Ed "geeky, weird, unelectable" Miliband that the Tories so scoff at. No policy, no substance.

"Land of opportunity" is basically a rightist 'One Nation'.
Isn't 'One Nation' a right wing idea in Britain?
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1843 on: October 03, 2013, 02:51:07 PM »

Yeah, pretty much. Labour have co-opted it though.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1844 on: October 04, 2013, 01:23:56 PM »

Nice rant:
http://www.theguardian.com/media/video/2013/oct/04/medhi-hassan-daily-mail-question-time-video
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1845 on: October 04, 2013, 04:20:08 PM »

The Daily Mail is a disgusting rag and Dacre is pond scum.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1846 on: October 05, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »

Mehdi made a better rant, I thought, demolishing the Tories 'earn or learn' excuse for dropping their obligation to young people, but it's typical that's completely ignored for this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1847 on: October 07, 2013, 11:50:28 AM »

Reshuffle day today.

Biggest news on the government side is the sacking of arch-numptie Michael Moore as Secretary of State for Scotland. He's been replaced by Alistair Carmichael, previously the LibDem Chief Whip (and MP for Orkney & Shetland). Movement elsewhere isn't particularly dramatic; seems that now-former Tory Deputy Chief Whip John Randall's decision to take the hit for the Syria vote humiliation has prevented a wider clear out of the Whips Office.

More movement on the Labour side, with Byrne and Twigg being rewarded for their incompetence and dropped from the Shadcab (though have taken shadow junior spots) and Murphy being rewarded for his factionalist sh!t stirring with a demotion (Defence to International Development). Rachel Reeves replaces Byrne at Work & Pensions, Tristram Hunt replaces Twigg at Education, and Vernon Coaker gets Defence. Various other people have been swapped around, but you can read about that elsewhere. New faces include Hunt (Education), Chris Leslie (Shad Chief Sec to the Treasury), and Gloria De Piero (Women).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1848 on: October 07, 2013, 12:00:39 PM »

seems that now-former Tory Deputy Chief Whip John Randall's decision to take the hit for the Syria vote humiliation has prevented a wider clear out of the Whips Office.

Or perhaps not.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1849 on: October 07, 2013, 12:02:41 PM »

Insane conspiracy theorist fruitcake Norman Baker has been moved from a junior Transport post to a junior Home Office post. This does not strike me as being a good thing.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies