UK General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 01:54:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 93
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 267774 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: August 14, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »

Ed also pelted with eggs at a market in his first public appearance in a while.

Pelter was a (D) Miliband supporter who thinks (E) Miliband doesn't stand up for the poor.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1576 on: August 14, 2013, 09:58:06 AM »

Except in the 1931, 1935 and 1945 General Elections, people in Britain don't vote for political camps, so that kind of analysis is pretty much useless. The electoral system works very heavily against it.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #1577 on: August 14, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »

Dead lady gives the "party of the government at the time" £520,000 to do with as they wish.

Tories and LibDems originally take it for themselves, then give it to the Treasury when the Mail kicks up a fuss.

Silly season everybody.

Oh God, this story... *facepalm*

Ed also pelted with eggs at a market in his first public appearance in a while.

Pelter was a (D) Miliband supporter who thinks (E) Miliband doesn't stand up for the poor.

Seriously. This. Is. Hilarious.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1578 on: August 14, 2013, 11:48:12 AM »

Grow up.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1579 on: August 14, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2013, 12:15:59 PM by You kip if you want to... »

News at 6 have just devoted a full feature to the egg incident. Slow news day indeed.

Not to mention the order of headlines meant it was a case of "The Tories have made unemployment fall by 4,000, happy days. Now here's dorky Ed Miliband getting hit by an egg."
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1580 on: August 14, 2013, 12:40:12 PM »

Where is the f**king logic in that?! Seems the media love-in on D. Miliband has worked a treat.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1581 on: August 14, 2013, 01:32:05 PM »

Where is the f**king logic in that?! Seems the media love-in on D. Miliband has worked a treat.

He's so dreamy.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1582 on: August 15, 2013, 04:40:13 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/15/godfrey-bloom-ukip-sexist_n_3759968.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Godfrey Bloom. Again.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1583 on: August 15, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »

Story in the papers of some kid getting 7 A*s today and still getting the knock back by Oxford!
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1584 on: August 15, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »

Story in the papers of some kid getting 7 A*s today and still getting the knock back by Oxford!

Yes, this is quite silly. Grades are not the be all and end all of a University application.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1585 on: August 15, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »

Indeed, you have to be middle class as well.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1586 on: August 15, 2013, 11:49:32 AM »

*sigh*

But still, personal statement as well as the interview count for much.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1587 on: August 15, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »

Which links into confidence in that kind of situation, which links in to class.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1588 on: August 15, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »

Not really. You can be the muck of the Earth and still have the self-professed arrogance to write an Oxbridge personal statement.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1589 on: August 15, 2013, 12:44:46 PM »

Not really. You can be the muck of the Earth and still have the self-professed arrogance to write an Oxbridge personal statement.

Bingo.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1590 on: August 15, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »

Ah, but there's no point in looking at this in terms of individuals. You can only look at this sort of thing in an at all honest way at a social level. Because while some people from ordinary backgrounds will indeed be sufficiently full of themselves to be alright in that sort of situation, the vast majority won't. A situation that starts to reverse itself in rough proportion to privilege.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1591 on: August 15, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »

Ah, but there's no point in looking at this in terms of individuals. You can only look at this sort of thing in an at all honest way at a social level. Because while some people from ordinary backgrounds will indeed be sufficiently full of themselves to be alright in that sort of situation, the vast majority won't. A situation that starts to reverse itself in rough proportion to privilege.

Also those unrepresentative individuals are routinely highlighted and mythologised as proof that 'everyone' can succeed, thereby allowing the status quo to continue.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1592 on: August 15, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2013, 01:40:20 PM by You kip if you want to... »

Then there's things outside of a state-school pupil's control: a good, yet poorly written reference, inexperience of the school with the Oxbridge application process and a lack of alumni and 'connections' in the school faculty.

All too common, no pun intended.

EDIT: Google tells me he went to what seems to be one of the most prestigious grammars in the country! But my point still stands in terms of the remaining state/private gap at Oxbridge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast_Royal_Academy
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1593 on: August 16, 2013, 01:56:16 AM »

*sigh*

But still, personal statement as well as the interview count for much.

The interview is likely to be much more important than the personal statement, not that that removes concerns about people from certain types of backgrounds having an advantage.

Anyway, I wouldn't read much into this particular case.  The extra A levels may not have been thought very relevant to studying chemistry, and the Oxford colleges will be looking at lots of people who are getting straight A*s.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1594 on: August 16, 2013, 08:22:02 AM »

It all depends on what you're studying. A guy who does some of the admissions for maths at Imperial college told me that they spend about 3 seconds looking at personal statements, and they make no difference at all- you'd be just as likely to get in if you wrote the lyrics to baby by Justin Bieber as if you wrote the second gettysburg address. It might make more difference in other subjects though.

The 7 a levels is obviously very impressive, but some of them might be freebies- for example, one or two of my friends have Italian parents, and speak it in the home, so they can get (and have got) an advanced higher A for very little effort.

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1595 on: August 16, 2013, 08:36:16 AM »

Anyway, I wouldn't read much into this particular case.  The extra A levels may not have been thought very relevant to studying chemistry, and the Oxford colleges will be looking at lots of people who are getting straight A*s.

Biology, chemistry, physics, maths, further maths, Latin, and Greek - per the Belfast Telegraph

Are there any obviously relevant A levels he didn't do?

The 7 a levels is obviously very impressive, but some of them might be freebies- for example, one or two of my friends have Italian parents, and speak it in the home, so they can get (and have got) an advanced higher A for very little effort.

Doesn't look like there are any "freebies" there to me.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1596 on: August 16, 2013, 08:41:45 AM »

Biology, chemistry, physics, maths, further maths, Latin, and Greek - per the Belfast Telegraph

Doesn't look like there are any "freebies" there to me.

If you have been brought up speaking a language fluently (one of them even lived in Italy until he was 5) it makes it easy to pass an exam in the subject. That's not me making an assumption, they themselves said the exam was easy and that they didn't have to do any study for it.

If you're talking about the boy who got rejected, then yeah I agree with you, that's obviously not the case here. I can't see any reason why they rejected him, but really they're only harming themselves.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1597 on: August 16, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »

Not other A levels, no, but he'll have been being compared with other students who may have looked more impressive when it comes to chemistry specifically (they probably expect more than just A*) and that could have been preferred to taking Latin and Greek.  But obviously I don't know what the reasons actually were, or whether they were justifiable.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1598 on: August 16, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »

Apparently two of the five Respect councillors on Bradford city council have been suspended from the party for opposing George Galloway's desire to be mayor of London.

... and now all five have resigned the whip in protest.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1599 on: August 16, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »

At this point I think even Griffin's taking notes on how to sabotage your party as good as Galloway has.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies