Should South Jersey split from North Jersey?

<< < (6/7) > >>

Hitchabrut:
Monmouth county is much more of a New York suburb than a Philadelphia suburb.

muon2:
Quote from: republicanjew18 on January 05, 2005, 09:17:30 PM

There are certainly areas in the NW of Monmouth that are NYC suburbs (Cliffwood, Robertsville), and I wouldn't describe it as a Philly suburb either. However, most of the county is belongs to the shore. IMO Long Branch, Asbury Park, and Neptune fit best with Ocean and Atlantic Co, and not with the NYC suburbs.

The NYC suburbs dominate in Hudson, Bergen, Essex, Passaic, Union, Morris, Somerset, and Middlesex. There are NYC commuters in the next tier of counties outside of those, but they don't have the same feel of New York as the eight I mentioned. I see NJ not as purely north/south but more like NYC/non-NYC.

dazzleman:
Quote from: muon2 on January 05, 2005, 11:55:25 PM

There are certainly areas in the NW of Monmouth that are NYC suburbs (Cliffwood, Robertsville), and I wouldn't describe it as a Philly suburb either. However, most of the county is belongs to the shore. IMO Long Branch, Asbury Park, and Neptune fit best with Ocean and Atlantic Co, and not with the NYC suburbs.

The NYC suburbs dominate in Hudson, Bergen, Essex, Passaic, Union, Morris, Somerset, and Middlesex. There are NYC commuters in the next tier of counties outside of those, but they don't have the same feel of New York as the eight I mentioned. I see NJ not as purely north/south but more like NYC/non-NYC.

muon2, did you ever live in the North Jersey area?

muon2:
Quote from: dazzleman on January 06, 2005, 10:01:22 PM

Quote from: muon2 on January 05, 2005, 11:55:25 PM

muon2, did you ever live in the North Jersey area?

I did my graduate work at Brandeis near Boston, but most of my close friends were from northern NJ. They were Brandeis students and their homes dotted many of the counties on my list.

I did my thesis research on Long Island. NYC and North Jersey were the main places I got away to when I needed a break for a few days. Also, one of my best friends from college grew up outside of Princeton and my visits there shaped some of my experience in the mid-section of the state.

I'll freely admit that my experience is rooted the 1980's, though I have continued to visit infrequently over the years. To the extent that the geography has changed since 1987, I'll concede those changes. But most of what I saw as recently as two years ago still matched my sense from 20 years before.

dazzleman:
Quote from: muon2 on January 07, 2005, 01:12:25 AM

I did my graduate work at Brandeis near Boston, but most of my close friends were from northern NJ. They were Brandeis students and their homes dotted many of the counties on my list.

I did my thesis research on Long Island. NYC and North Jersey were the main places I got away to when I needed a break for a few days. Also, one of my best friends from college grew up outside of Princeton and my visits there shaped some of my experience in the mid-section of the state.

I'll freely admit that my experience is rooted the 1980's, though I have continued to visit infrequently over the years. To the extent that the geography has changed since 1987, I'll concede those changes. But most of what I saw as recently as two years ago still matched my sense from 20 years before.

Thanks for the reply, man.  I thought you must have had some connection to the area based upon your comments.  I don't think much has changed geographically in the area since the 1980s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page