A bill to ban non governmental officials from voting threads
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:50:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A bill to ban non governmental officials from voting threads
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A bill to ban non governmental officials from voting threads  (Read 2118 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2005, 05:20:24 AM »

Is very much needed. Only senators and the VP would be allowed to post whilst a vote is in progress, and only people invited by a senator or a governmental official are allowed to post during a debate. There'd have to be a way that people could still express opinions, however (although it wouldn't be too difficult to get a senatorial invitation).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 06:07:26 AM »

Is very much needed. Only senators and the VP would be allowed to post whilst a vote is in progress, and only people invited by a senator or a governmental official are allowed to post during a debate. There'd have to be a way that people could still express opinions, however (although it wouldn't be too difficult to get a senatorial invitation).

I definately agree with this. Maybe we can start a locked thread in which the public can add their opinion to a named bill?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 06:10:01 AM »

Dumb idea. What is the point to being a Citizen in this game if you can't even post your opinions?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 06:10:59 AM »

I definately agree with this. Maybe we can start a locked thread in which the public can add their opinion to a named bill?

You probably mean a stickied thread since a locked thread would be as helpful as a poke in the eye.

For the record, this is an excellent idea. So I should probably get off this thread.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 06:17:33 AM »

Dumb idea. What is the point to being a Citizen in this game if you can't even post your opinions?

Well we would have a link to the current bills at the start of the thread and the citizens could give their opinions of the bills at hand.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 06:18:05 AM »

I'll introduce the bill now if you want
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 08:16:54 AM »

Obviously that isn't the bill, bttw, but as long as it keeps the same message, I'll be happy.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 12:19:37 PM »

I agree, if we also inclue them prohibited from presenting bills in public.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 12:20:39 PM »

The President should be allowed to speak as well in a Senate debate.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 05:45:23 PM »

I agree, if we also inclue them prohibited from presenting bills in public.

I think people should be able to present bills, but maybe there should be a single, seperate thread for that and senators can choose whether to endorse any of the legislation proposed in that thread?

PB-yes, but not whilst a vote is in progress would be my preference; only those who can vote (and the VP) should be allowed to post during a vote.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 05:53:54 PM »

I'm not even sure if I can participate in this, but can the "debate thread" be locked to permit only members with debate right to participate?

Another option would be to have the chair reply by quoting the offending message and say "the posting is out of order as the poster is not a member?"
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 07:13:21 PM »

or it could have voting priveledge detterents-as with real criminals, Atlasian criminals could miss 1, 2, 3 elections or something.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 07:31:17 PM »

I don't like this bill, it's like banning the public from viewing Congressional debates on the balcony. Citiizens posting encourages participation in democracy IMO. We should be very thankful that Atlasia is populated by people who care about what's going on in the government unlike America
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 03:13:11 AM »

I don't like this bill, it's like banning the public from viewing Congressional debates on the balcony. Citiizens posting encourages participation in democracy IMO. We should be very thankful that Atlasia is populated by people who care about what's going on in the government unlike America

I'm all for participation, but do we let every joe blow walk onto the floor of the Senate and participate in the debate?  That would be a better analogy.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 03:14:54 AM »

I'm all for participation, but do we let every joe blow walk onto the floor of the Senate and participate in the debate?

Why not?  Many citizens have valuable input.  It'd be inconvenient for them and would serve no purpose other than to mimic reality for the sake of mimicking reality to not allow them to post in Senate topics.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 03:27:02 AM »

I'm all for participation, but do we let every joe blow walk onto the floor of the Senate and participate in the debate?  That would be a better analogy.

Why not?  After all, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then (and then the squirrel explodes with vigor and decisiveness).

And when you look at the threads here in fantasy government, its not like they're exactly cluttered with useless crap anyway (much less useful posts).

I just dislike the Senate trying to separate themselves from being able to back up their policies.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 03:28:22 AM »

Perhaps there could be some sort of rule regulating that senators make their posts in bold, and regular members in plain, unformatted text, using italics for emphasis?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 03:39:05 AM »

Perhaps there could be some sort of rule regulating that senators make their posts in bold, and regular members in plain, unformatted text, using italics for emphasis?

If a senator makes a sizeable post, reading something that looks like the senator is shouting the whole time might get a little tedious. Smiley

I don't think that we need to change a thing, myself.  Things are fine the way they are.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 12:05:22 PM »

Keeping the citizens out of the legislative process is a terrible idea, I oppose this whole heartedly.

Siege
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 12:06:54 PM »

Keeping the citizens out of the legislative process is a terrible idea, I oppose this whole heartedly.

Siege

Thank you Senator.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies