Canada General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:07:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 259199 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: January 06, 2012, 05:08:43 PM »

I was just going to create this,

Harper to appoint 7 new Senators including Ottawa police chief Vern White and "Senator Elect" Betty Unger: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/01/06/pol-new-senators.html
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »

I guess Chief White couldn't take the pressure of running the show here, what with all the accusations of police brutality last year and investigations of racism on the force.

It's interesting, I thought the police wouldn't want to get into politics, at least not as Tories, since they usually are in favour of the gun registry. But, with White and former OPP chief Julian Fantino.... I am reminded of our last police chief (Brian Ford) who also ran for politics; he was a Liberal though. Something about this city must give the police political connections... gross.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »

Personally I like the Senate the way it is...

Figures. "Commitment" to Senate reform is the one of the few things I like about the Tories. 
Glad to see that commitment to Senate reform in action.

To be fair, *one* of the appointees was actually elected to the Senate... 6 years ago Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 01:33:43 AM »

One elected, one appointed. That's my position. On this issue and fixed election dates I side with the Reds, not my own Blues.

Why do you hate democracy?

An elected Senate with an equal number of members from each province would be even less democratic than the current setup, since it would combine undemocratic apportionment with a sense of legitimacy that would allow it to threaten the democratic house. The NDP has the right idea with regard to the Senate.

While it wouldn't be less democratic, I wouldn't support PEI getting the same number of Senators as Ontario... that's insane! I would have 100 senators, with 10 regions with 10 Senators each elected by proportional representation.

Western Canada would get 30 Senators, Central Canada would get 60 and Atlantic Canada would get 10.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 02:51:24 AM »

Fixed election dates are silly, I agree.

What??? The current system is easily abused, as Premiers/PMs wait for the best time to run for re-election (although it can backfire...)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

While it wouldn't be less democratic, I wouldn't support PEI getting the same number of Senators as Ontario... that's insane! I would have 100 senators, with 10 regions with 10 Senators each elected by proportional representation.

Western Canada would get 30 Senators, Central Canada would get 60 and Atlantic Canada would get 10.
[/quote]

I wouldn't hate that, but it's unnecessary. The system works fine now with a powerless upper house. Why not just get rid of the upper house altogether?
[/quote]

You sound very much like a New Democrat Wink  This is one of my big disagreements with the party. We should be willing to compromise with the Tories on this one. At least it's better than Liberal patronage land.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:53:48 PM »

What a shame that this wont happen: Sad

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/01/would-harper-or-putin-win-a-summit-series-rematch.html
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »

Today is the nomination day for the NDP in Toronto-Danforth for the upcoming by-election.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:23:13 PM »

Ugh... good riddance. Apparently she was one of the MPs that were making us look bad. Never campaigned in the riding, never moved there (nor is planning to), doesn't know the words to O Canada...  and some of her opposition to our policies are baffling to. You don't support the Libyan mission? Well guess what, the Liberals supported it to. Only the Greens were against it. Why arent you switching to them? And you're against abolishing the Senate? Well, so am I, but it's hardly a pressing issue. And Im sure your constituents just LOVE the Senate. If the NDP became the government, then it would be an issue... She also said her constituents just voted for Jack... but I think the fact that the NDP still leads the polls in Quebec shows that that is not entirely true.

Also, I am 100% in favour of the party's position of making turncoats resign to force a by-election. It's actually an idea I thought of on my own before learning it was party policy. This is what she should do.

As for the riding's future, if the NDP remains the #1 party in Quebec, it should keep the riding. It certainly wont be going Liberal. If the BQ gets a resurgence, than they might be able to pick it up. If there was a by-election held now, I think the NDP would win it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »

No by-elections. The riding shouldn't have to go to the polls for their MP being stupid and crossing the aisle.

But they voted for the NDP, not the Liberals! How would you feel if Charlie Angus defected? I bet you'd want to get the chance to vote him out. Unless you like Charlie that much more than the NDP...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »

Belinda Stronach also got re-elected after defecting.

I do like Charlie more than the party yes, and I don't think Timmins-James Bay will ever get a better representative when he retires. But no by-election. I'd probably abstain from voting in the next election (he'd lose anyway).

OK, but I'm sure this MP's constituents don't prefer her over the party.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »

From her comments, it sounds like she was a Dipper who didn't realize that ideologically, she's a Grit.

It seems that way, but who could possibly not realize this, especially in Quebec. Why volunteer and run for a party with no history there, when there is a big red machine that has historically actually won seats in Quebec.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »

1) Trudeau 2) Dion 3) Garneau.  No one knows or cares who Coderre is in Anglo Canada.

Hebert: Defection is symptomatic of a larger Dipper Quebec decline. They have been down in the polls in recent months, but we'll see whether that holds after March 24.

Roll Eyes
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 11:26:01 PM »

I don't mind Belanger so much. He endorsed (former NDPer) Alex Munter in the 2006 mayoral race over fellow Liberal (and then incumbent) Bob Chiarelli.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 11:34:08 AM »

The Tories are going to make a law allowing for the early reporting of election results.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »

I will make a point of totally ignoring the Liberal convention.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »

Oh come on... admit seeing *President* Copps giving an acceptance speech will be amusing. Plus I want to see what The Architect (Brison) has to say.

No. If I watch anything this weekend, it'll be the Continental Cup.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 10:29:36 AM »

Now that the Liberals will be letting anyone vote in their convention, it's time to hijack the race by getting a bunch of us to rally behind a radical right wing candidate.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 11:33:23 PM »

The Dipper MP for Nunavut defected to the Grits in the early '80s. Though given that the Grits were then led by a social democrat, not a huge difference.

Dont forget Angela Vatour, who switched to the PCs in the late 90s.

But, there have been a small number to switch our way. I know Alex Cullen crossed the floor in the Ontario Assembly from Lib to NDP.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »

That's awesome, I hope it worked.

As for the NDP being so domatic. Well sure, it's a party of ideology. So are the Tories. If you hate ideology, then vote Liberal. I'm very ideological, and while I don't agree with the NDP on everything, I can at least know that with the NDP, they would stand up for what they believe in (which for the most part, is the same as me). The Liberals on the other hand would waver too and fro, supporting some of the things I like but some things I hate.

Look at McGuinty... he was more pragmatic when it came to raising the minimum wage, which I think was better than the NDP's approach. But then he did stupid stuff like implement doggy-genocide with the pitbull ban. Of course, there are other examples, but for some reason that's what I'm most reminded of.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »

All the Liberal meetings I've been to were about strategy, sales, marketing, "how to win".

The one Conservative meeting I went to was very wide-ranging, focusing on what policies that would sell in the riding, selling strategies, and fundraising opportunities.

Sounds like most NDP meetings I've been to. I bet the NDP in PEI is very different than the rest of the country.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 11:28:18 PM »

Harper and wife estranged?

Here is an article from last month about their Christmas card: http://www.vancouverobserver.com/politics/news/2011/12/13/spot-error-christmas-card

Apparently there is a rumour that Laureen is had a lesbian affair with an RCMP officer: http://thepinkelephant.ca/archives/8018

I don't know if that's true of course (it's a rumour), but I don't disbelieve it. Like the article says, Canadian media don't have the same courage to break a story like this than in the US.  Americans get wienergate, but in Canada we get rumours spread on the grape vine. (The same goes for the sexuality of a couple of politicians like John Baird and our mayor, Jim Watson)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »

That was pretty much my reaction when I heard about it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 10:22:51 PM »

Horwath best approvals!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 02:42:02 PM »

Everyone always likes the third party leader best. Look at Layton's when Dippers were in 3rd.

I think Harper usually had higher approvals than Layton. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 09:57:23 PM »

Gérard Deltell is not agreeing than the 3rd party leader is the most popular.
Aye, nor is Raj Sherman, or... um.... the Green?/Conservative? leader in BC, or the... uh... Liberal?/Green? leader in Saskatchewan.... Victor something? Nor is the... Liberal?? leader in Manitoba, or the NDP leader in NB (whoever that is these days) or the... uh... insert-third-placed-party in Nova Scotia... or the ... Greens? on PEI??

At least Lorraine Michael is popular!! whoo!!!

NDP leader of NB is Dominic Cardy. Wink

Lorraine Michael was actually polling lower than her party oddly enough. She seems charismatic, so I dont get it. But then again, I dont consider the NDP to be the third party in NL.

And, Im sure the Tory leader in NS has to be at least somewhat popular?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies